NST Penny Pinching GoSober Stoptober

edited 1 October 2018 at 3:45PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
546 replies 37.5K views

Replies

• lcc86lcc86 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Another spend day today, had to buy the new tap we needed. No more relying on the bathroom tap yay! Took the money from my household repair fund but still count it as a spend day. Other than that, still working from home, still very quiet, computer still a nightmare to log onto! Tomorrow I actually get to go to the office which is a novelty these days.
    Car debt May 2020 £5,200 - September 2021 £0
    Medical costs January 2021 £1,080 - May 2021 £0
    Car costs October £834 - insurance claim ongoing...
    Vet bill October £349

Pay off all your debt by Xmas 2021 #19
  • bizziebizzie Forumite
    250 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    First post of the month. Today was a NSD so #1/15 in the bag.

Organise. Need to revisit this and also include supplies of toiletries, stationery, next size clothing.

Regular budget. All set and ready to go will keep track through the month to ensure keeping to targets.

No Spend Days. Aiming for 15 (low) as feels achievable.

Improvise. Will do if necessary.

Exercise. Will get outside, come rain or shine most days.

Christmas. Will be drafting plans this month but do know we are at home this year.

Banned. Minimal use of food / drinks outside the home tend to go out prepared.

Extra Income. Keep at the surveys, cashback and overtime at work.

Report in. Will do as much as possible.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0
    NST NSD
    Goals for 2021:
    Self: Health: Wealth :
  • sashanutsashanut Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all :j

Challenge:
    Oops forgot this one yesterday! Don't smoke & rarely drink either, so it has to be giving up unhealthy snacks...already failed by having a ruffle bar tonight, as I forgot!!

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards. Have done a small shop today but have used cupboard items too. Also made a bakewell tart from ingredients we had in - I had to make my own pastry too, something that I can't do. Anyhow, it turned out well, but damn you GBBO!!

Regular budget items should be set by 1st October. If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Still to do, am so busy & not much progress really. Am out tomorrow again at the hairdressers (more spending) and will visit some shops near there.

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). Am aiming for 15 but hoping for more. Still 1/15.

Improvise. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. No make do & mend today, unless you count having to make own pastry instead of either buying a ready made block or a packet mix.

Exercise Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible. Do my CS voluntary work on a Tuesday so always shattered afterwards, it is so busy. Outside for a short time with pooches.

Christmas Ideas for some gifts but not bought any more as yet.

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas.

Banned Will only be chippys normally with the odd takeaway planned for a celebration etc. No takeaways today.

Extra Income and Extra time Will sell stuff when I can liberate it from the boxes it's stored in. Time is an issue here, I just can't catch up atm.

Report in, daily if possible I'm here..

Go Turtles!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • MunchinMunchin Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning

1 NSD so far and on track for sober October :). I spent £1.39 on washing up & £15 on vets fees. Also paid for diesel but not counting that. Went to yoga last night so exercise on track:cool:
    DEBT 6 March - £688 NSDs- 3/301 (start 6 March 21)
    Goal 1 - Prudent reserve - £2,500/£10,000 (25%) - represents some security
    Goal 2- New hearth - £50/£2,000 (2.5%)
    Goal 3 - New to me car - £0/£8,000 (0%)
    Goal 4 - Rewire house - £0/£4,000 (0%)

• GlendaSugarbeanGlendaSugarbean Forumite
    689 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Morning :)

CCL hope you get through the week ok

Foxholes good luck with the outlaws

Thrifty Congrats on the no smoking, hope the grumpiness passes soon.

Yesterday was a NSD, so 1/15. I also remembered to check TCB and a fiver has cleared so that's being squirrelled as extra income :). Plenty of walking and I had an apple rather than digging in my handbag for the last of the sherberts.:A

Organisation still needs to be done, but not a bad start to the month.
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    apple - I am still keeping up with all the exercise, I did an 8 mile walk Saturday, cycled Sunday, ran Monday and Tuesday, having a day off today but plan to cycle tomorrow then walk again Saturday. BTW what happened to your nose?
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • edited 3 October 2018 at 9:22AM
    thriftylassthriftylass Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 October 2018 at 9:22AM
    Good morning fellow turtles and we're off to day 3.

lcc86 sorry about the vet bill excess. I also used to find them excessive especially for the amount we paid in the end monthly :mad:

laurenh1 I quit FB about two years ago, but now replaced it with being on here more and started Instagram :o

Gometra day 3. We can do this. Struggled yesterday with not having my after work ciggie, seing all the chores to do, kids whining etc. But it passed. Getting a proper cold now, which should help staying sober and smoke free :rotfl:

dolly84 Congratulations to the job extension, every little helps.

crazy_cat_lady Well done for saving the backpack. I love youtube for instructions.

WelshKitty Well done on talking DH out of going shopping. I'm attempting a spend freeze till Sat and will do some serious meal prep etc tomorrow. DH will be away Thu and Fri which make this easier. My downfall are healthy sacks just now. Buying more although I still have plenty of variety and quantity in the house. Will include that in my meal prep and portion them out to see how many weeks worth I have left.

The cold is properly coming now but a lemsip helped, might still drag myself over to the gym. Got my health lunch and snacks with me. Weather is proper autumnal now and I'm looking fwd to snuggling up on the couch tonight with a cuppa and ignoring the chores.

Have a good day
    NST September
    NSD 6/20 NDD 7/22 spends £180/500
    Exercise 5/22
    CC Debt £1013 £700
    DFD 12/21 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 92300 (11/19) 80779 (08/21)
  • chocolatelover93chocolatelover93 Forumite
    1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hello!

Sorry first check in for me been a busy few days. NSD 1 for me today. (went for baby group and tea with a friend monday, £2 on snacks yesterday!)

My sons bag smelt really bad (his dad left some milk in it and it was very off) and the zip had broken, usually I would probably throw it and buy a new one. But fixed the zip (just needed something to hold put on it) and stuck it in the washing machine. It now smells bloomin lovely!

Had a nice walk around town Monday with my son and dancing at baby group so counting that as exercise haha. Working all day today so won't be able to take him for a walk by the time I get home it's his bed time.

Not been doing brilliantly with the 5 fruit and veg a day :( but I will get there :)

Hope you're all ok
    C x
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • edited 3 October 2018 at 1:16PM
    thriftylassthriftylass Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 October 2018 at 1:16PM
    Hello!

My sons bag smelt really bad (his dad left some milk in it and it was very off) and the zip had broken, usually I would probably throw it and buy a new one. But fixed the zip (just needed something to hold put on it) and stuck it in the washing machine. It now smells bloomin lovely!

Must be the week for fixing zips. I better fix my DH jacket zip then :D

Dragged myself to the gym as I felt a bit better and luckily the class was given by a different instructor and perfect for my lack of energy today. Feel better now and the head is clear for the rest of the day.

Oh, and I've just been given my 10 year anniversary badge on MSE _party_......better make this one count
    NST September
    NSD 6/20 NDD 7/22 spends £180/500
    Exercise 5/22
    CC Debt £1013 £700
    DFD 12/21 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 92300 (11/19) 80779 (08/21)
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dolly84 wrote: »
    apple - I am still keeping up with all the exercise, I did an 8 mile walk Saturday, cycled Sunday, ran Monday and Tuesday, having a day off today but plan to cycle tomorrow then walk again Saturday. BTW what happened to your nose?

I had awful food poisoning on Fri night, kept throwing up and blacking out, and kept coming round because of the pain in my nose. I truly face planted. Several times. And my nose took the brunt of it each time. I got through a lot of arnica cream!
    NST sept; NSD 19; Ex 11

Mortgage £300 ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides