What small DFW things will you do w/c 17th September?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important! :money:
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning guys - oooooo feels autumnal! Day off :j Thanks for all your support re my work sitch. I ended up going to HR for advice last week and then I spoke to the head of dept. Things miraculously have improved since then! Not feeling so anxious about it all now.... (although I am still angry that I was treated so unfairly and heavy handedly)

Anyway off for 2 days so want to stop letting work live rent free in my mind!

Today

* pick up pup at lunchtime
    * check banking
    * get salmon out of freezer for tea
    * make batch of BNS soup - might do it in the pressure cooker although don't want it to be mush. Must investigate...
    * get on top of washing & hang on line
    * feed toms - still ripening!
    * go to allotment for an hour
    * return madam's library books
    * find missing dpn so I can start socks if wool arrives :D
    * see if we have any filler - want to repaint kitchen....
    * investigate master's programme I am applying for, see deadline for applications

ok that's all I think.... we'll see. Happy Monday guys
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    ally have a great holiday!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Thank for starting us off determined glad work is better, long may it contiue. Grim nights sleep here and have a million things to do at work over the next 2 days. Typical. Anyway, 2nd coffee on the go and we'll see where we get to. List looks like this:
    Washing done overnight outside when it stops drizzling
    Package fleabay parcel didn't do yesterday and withdraw funds to savings
    Workman here today, which will be messy but will look great when I can finish it over the next few weeks
    Pick tomatoes
    Make something for parents and smalls tea tomorrow that they can just reheat
    Something out of freezer for our tea
    Stretching later after my run yesterday so I can hopefully go tomorrow again
    Check fridge
    Write shopping list and carve it up according to shop
    Cook malt loaf on bread maker
    Check surveys and £co
    Oh and a bit of work :rotfl:

Have a good day everyone. Purps.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Many thanks for starting us off DNMS a lovely autumnal day here aswell-my favourite season.

I'm so glad that your work situation looks to be improving and that u went to HR. I remember years ago, I was only young, in a job that I loved but the boss was a bully who would go through phases of who was her favourites. I took advice and was advised go to get out so I did......into an equally different but stressful situation. Later found out that one of the staff had put in a formal complaint and that it was going to a tribunal. The boss contacted me and asked if I would back her up, said yes but then I would take it forward with my own tribunal. The only reason that I didn't take it further is that i thought no one would back me up, esp as I was working with members of staff with mortgages to pay etc and would be too scared. I would certainly do things different today.

Not masses from me as still in snail mode but picking up speed.
    Banking all checked-everything good
    Do want to go into town this morning-just banking to do and an eBay parcel to post
    Must do paperwork today-have dodged it so far
    Going to have a tidy up of upstairs-DD is back at uni on Thursday.....her stuff has exploded all over the house including my room, will try to declutter at the same time

Ally have a great holiday.

Have a great day everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 September 2018 at 1:15PM
    Options
    Morning all!

Thanks to DNMS for starting us off. I'm glad that work is improving. I hope it's the end of the stress.

Purps - I hope the coffee kicks in!

HK - morning :)

I am getting very frustrated with this glove. It is not working up like I would expect. I have frogged it 4 times now. My gauge is correct and it's working up as per the pattern but I'm not happy with the size at all. It's supposed to fit a large man but is fairly snug on my OH who has fairly normal hands.

I am happy with the cuff, just not the main glove, esp the size of the thumb space. I think I will keep the cuff as it is. My friend also wants the gloves lined with fleece so they need to be big.

As I see it my options are:
    1. Work the main glove with a much larger crochet hook (9mm instead of 7mm). This has the obvious effect of making a larger, looser fabric. This is a bit of a shame as they were working up lovely and thick which was ideal. however, as they will be lined, (black yarn and black fleece) it might not be as much of an issue
    2. Work with the 7mm hook but drastically increase the stitch count by increasing at the first row after the cuff. I would need to sit down and re-work the number of stitches I need in the pattern (esp over the thumb) and also re-work the fairisle pattern repeat for the new stitch count
    3. Keep the main glove as it is (it might be large enough) and work additional stiches for the thumb opening.
    I am in a pickle. Help!

Small things-wise a standard day:
    • B/L/D from stores
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Gym at lunchtime - done
    • Think about glove
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    CLF thank you :):):)
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

DNMS - Thanks for starting us off and glad to hear things are improving at work

Still here, still plodding on. Today we will

Check Bank & Make PAD - Done
    Topcashback clicks - Done
    Clean own bin (as opposed to £60+ a year) - Done
    Investigate water meter -
    List a few bits for sale -
    Swagbucks -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, FPL, WinaDinner -
    Read -

Have a great day!

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 32/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• E11ie
    E11ie Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone

Day off for me as well today (hurrah) carrie I am of no help to your glove situation - I do crochet and knit but have not attempted gloves - although it does sound like option a or b is the way to go :(

I did my 10k trail run yesterday so am suffering a bit today - although not too bad and have a gym session at 11 :eek: but I'm thinking stretching and a bit of walking on the treadmill to get rid of the soreness. Later I'm treating a friend to a guest pass up there and as she ran the race yesterday too, it's on the proviso we swim and sauna/jacuzzi - can't wait.

We have builders in tomorrow AGAIN :mad: but this is to finally replace our floor where we had the leak a while back. We are having Amtico flooring down this time as we're hoping it will be a bit harder wearing and dog friendly - ready for the new puppy arriving in November.

Jobs then are:
    1. Clear living room of as much stuff as possible ready for tomorrow (dvds, books etc)
    2. Keep stretching back and shoulder muscles (almost fell over at one point yesterday so am a tad achey)
    3. Package up new coat and send back for refund
    4. Tidy the dreaded cupboard under the stairs - its full of plastic bags!! I need somewhere else to put them all :rotfl:
    5. Healthy lunch - left over chicken from fajitas 2 nights ago and salad
    6. Go to gym (twice today) and fill up water bottle / shower etc
    7. Clean kitchen
    8. Collapse this afternoon and put a film on and continue with crochet project

Have a good day all xx
    Total debts £6471.03 / £6261 all currently on 0% interest
    Make £2018 in 2018 = £1010
    Focus on 1% challenge = £64.50
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 September 2018 at 10:35AM
    Options
    E11ie wrote: »
    Tidy the dreaded cupboard under the stairs - its full of plastic bags!! I need somewhere else to put them all

I crocheted a net bag for the plastic bags a bit like this

https://karendibee.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/drawstring-for-the-mesh-bags/

easy to put the bags away without folding etc but keeps them tidy :)
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 September 2018 at 4:48PM
    Options

Morning all,
    :wave: to everyone :grouphug: to those who need it
    Thanks for the start Dnms and glad to hear the work situation has improved.
    Sorry CLF I've no idea about crafty stuff!
    Hope the chutney came out well CCL

Today's list
    :heart: Switch dss alarm clock off at the wall for the daytime done
    :heart: Go to gym after dropping the kids off to make the most of my membership. Will fill up water bottle there. done
    :heart: Rm surveys done
    :heart: Triage fridge to make sure nothing goes to waste done added all extra veg into beef stew I'm making in the SC for tomorrow.
    :heart: Dice and freeze some peppers that are going soft done
    :heart: Stew some pears, plums and apples that are very soft to go with yogurt for a dessert tonight done and added some ginger & honey, smells lovely
    :heart: Make families lunches for tomorrow done
    :heart: Check banking/update spreadsheet done
    :heart: Wash 2 loads on the quick 30 degree wash and line dry if the drizzle stops 1st load washed
    :heart: Hoover round everywhere
    :heart: Meal plan for the next few days done
    :heart: All meals from stores
    :heart: Get the freezer list back up to date done
    :heart: Share bathwater and continue use up of lotions and potions
    :heart: Check surveys done
    :heart: Continue going through my cupboards and reorganising/get rid of anything not needed to the charity shop/tip
    :heart: Message arg0s to complain about my dining chair, the back has come apart :(done, and another partial refund coming back to us. My dad has said he'll be able to fix the broken chair. This is the 2nd partial refund I've had now on these 4 chairs, definitely worth complaining when theres a problem.

Take care all.

Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure