Paying for 25 year old child

Options

Comments

• annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2018 at 7:44PM
    Options
    At that age, they are well past being a child, they should be able to fund themselves.

How do university students fund themselves exactly? Mostly with part time jobs which they have to fit around uni. With the best will in the world, a part time job is not going to be enough to put most people through university without any help from parents. I would not have graduated without help from my mum and neither would my brother, because the bottom line is, the grant I got and the loan my brother got was not enough to see us through 3 years of university. And that is the same for students all over the UK and I bet the world over.

I put myself through my second post grad, but that was only because we were only in uni 2.5 days a fortnight and had the flexibility to work as many hours as I could have around that. Exactly how is someone supposed to earn 15 k a year when they are at uni? Some people might be able to do it, but I suspect they will be very few and far between.
    The government should treat them as such and not relying on their parents for example OP's case.

Have you been to university? Are you aware of just how much it costs to fund a degree. Few students are able to put themselves through university without the help of their parents.
  • annandale
    Options
    Indeed it isn't. To some people. If you asked a single person on jobseekers could they afford to spare £20 a week then the answer would definitely be no.

Im a single person on universal credit. But you aren't in that position.
    I understand our outgoings are our problem and I feel a bit of a failure in getting to this point where we do have to worry about each £20 payment that goes out each week. In reality it has meant that we are unable to commit to after school clubs or activities for our younger children which is surely unfair to them?

Yes I am sure it is, but your younger kids aren't going to face hardship if they don't get to an after school club, your older one as you said will face hardship if you don't give this money

The bottom line is, as I said before, if you need to have a conversation about whether the child at uni you are funding is spending too much of their own money on holidays, festivals and not basics that is something you need to think about doing.

This is the final year of their degree, pulling the plug now would be ridiculous. How would you feel if they dropped out?
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    How do university students fund themselves exactly? Mostly with part time jobs which they have to fit around uni. With the best will in the world, a part time job is not going to be enough to put most people through university without any help from parents.

Have you been to university? Are you aware of just how much it costs to fund a degree. Few students are able to put themselves through university without the help of their parents.

That'll depend on what they earn and how realistic they are about their income - don't forget that young, unemployed people of the same age have to live on less than £60pw plus their rent. Students need to accept that they'll have a lower standard of living than they'll have once they're working.
  • annandale
    Options
    That'll depend on what they earn and how realistic they are about their income - don't forget that young, unemployed people of the same age have to live on less than £60pw plus their rent. Students need to accept that they'll have a lower standard of living than they'll have once they're working.

This isnt about students having to accept they will have a lower standard of living. Its about a previous poster saying no university student should received any financial help

Unemployed people don't have lectures to go to, neither do they have books, travel, fees, halls or rent to pay for out of what is very often a low income. A lawyer who lives near me highlighted how expensive some flats are for students. I live near Glasgow and some of the rents are astronomical for private flats let out to students. Like 1000k plus for a 2 bedroom flat before bills.

Here are some student flats (not cheap)https://www.unitestudents.com/london, if people are paying out 600 - 1200 on accommodation only of course they might need help from parents

If parents didn't help out many students wouldn't be at college or uni, that is fact.
  • samroo
    samroo Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Going to Uni is very expensive for parents

We paid our daughter's rent for 3 years (approx 12,000) and have just paid 3 months rent in advance for our son (2,250)

My daughter is now a nurse so every penny well spent
  • annandale
    Options
    Surely given that your child is in their final year of university you must have had a chance to look over finance material by now. I assume the student loan company have a website. I could understand not knowing if your child was in their first year but they aren’t. Surely you have had plenty of time to find out that the cut off age is 25.

I honestly do not understand all the i was fending for myself at 18 comments. This is the way student finance works. In Scotland and elsewhere in the Uk.
  • annandale
    Options
    Type in two words into google. Student finance. And it takes you to the government website where everything is explained.
  • annandale
    Options
    Tuition fees average 9000 pounds except in Scotland. The maintenance grant is done on a sliding scale depending on parents income. All of this information is easily found online including the cut off age being 25.

I struggle to believe someone who has a child in their final year at university did not know this.

The highest maintenance grant a student gets outside London is around 8700.

In some areas that will pay their rent and nothing else.

How could people think that a student could go to uni and not need some financial support given how low the loans are?
  • CruisingSaver
    Options
    When my daughter goes to uni next year she will only receive the minimum maintenance loan, currently £4,054, due to our household income. Her accommodation will cost circa £5,400 so she's already got a significant gap before she even starts looking at her living costs.

It isn't her fault that she'll only get the minimum loan and as a parent I refuse to see her struggle to afford university. Me and DH have agreed to pay for her accommodation and we view this as our parental responsibility to do so.

I just don't get the mindset that begrudges providing for your child.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can either afford it or not afford it. If we are talking about £20 a week for a final year, i really struggle to see why you would begrudge it (based on previous declarations) and should just suck it up and smile. If however there is a genuine affordability issue, then pull the plug. Its crazy that you are backed into a corner to subsidise a 25 year adult.

Decleration : ... Ive always stated that i would not fund a university lifestyle choice for either of our kids (even though i can afford to) .... Very little value in it nowadays imo and something they can put themselves thru as independent adults should they choose.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure