Paying for 25 year old child

Options

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    I had to have 3 Bs and two Cs at Scottish Higher to get into my degree course, or the equivalent points

My brother's course was much similar. Mine was for a business degree and his was in social sciences. I went to school with people who had to get 5A grades to get into their choice of degree.

Here's the list of courses for Glasgow uni and entry requirements (they've not changed that much in 30 years)

https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/businessmanagement/#tab=1

There's an argument that Highers and A levels are easier now, but I would suspect that a lot of the degree courses are not. Im sure someone will be along to say that isn't the case, but I had to work hard for my Highers and I also had to work hard for my degree.

There were people on my degree course who struggled badly and had to take a year out because they failed both resits in a core subject.

They may be the initial entry requirements but if they have space left on any course then they will pretty much offer a place to anyone during clearing.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    This isnt about students having to accept they will have a lower standard of living. Its about a previous poster saying no university student should received any financial help

Unemployed people don't have lectures to go to, neither do they have books, travel, fees, halls or rent to pay for out of what is very often a low income. A lawyer who lives near me highlighted how expensive some flats are for students. I live near Glasgow and some of the rents are astronomical for private flats let out to students. Like 1000k plus for a 2 bedroom flat before bills.

Here are some student flats (not cheap)https://www.unitestudents.com/london, if people are paying out 600 - 1200 on accommodation only of course they might need help from parents

If parents didn't help out many students wouldn't be at college or uni, that is fact.

Students on low incomes need to accept that they can't afford the most expensive accommodation andshould to settle for something more basic. Neither should they choose to live in expensive areas like London unless they're doing a course only available there. Accommodation for students needs be no more expensive than for young people on JSA who will have travelling costs to interviews, internet access, phones etc. and won't have family they can return to, living (normally) rent and cost free for 14 weeks a year.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    What hasn't been mentioned is how much student housing has changed - leading to increased rent costs. Partly this will be down to increased expectations of living standards and new or refurbished housing being designed for rental to conferences and non-students in vacations. But also more students means more demand and competition for accommodation, so prices rise. How many places offer shared rooms nowadays? Judging by the ads I see you are more likely to have en-suite bathrooms not to mention shared gyms and the like.

Most universities still have more basic accommodation available, although not usually in shared rooms. Interestingly, the most expensive, de luxe accommodation is usually booked first as most students aren't prepared to live in the sort of accommodation which was normal in the past.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought it was quite clear I meant "Put the clock back to the way things were back in the 1970s";
    - full grants
    - full tuition fees covered
    - only the usual number of people to go to University
    I think it's worth pointing out that 'full grants' were not necessarily available in the 1970s: they were means-tested on parental income even then, back in the dark ages.
    theoretica wrote: »
    What hasn't been mentioned is how much student housing has changed - leading to increased rent costs. Partly this will be down to increased expectations of living standards and new or refurbished housing being designed for rental to conferences and non-students in vacations. But also more students means more demand and competition for accommodation, so prices rise. How many places offer shared rooms nowadays? Judging by the ads I see you are more likely to have en-suite bathrooms not to mention shared gyms and the like.
    Yup, plus there is a lot of 'student housing' available which is neither owned nor run by the institutions, it's private companies.
    An ex of mine had a very wealthy family. However his father simply refused to pay the parental contribution.
    I didn't even ask mine: they weren't wealthy, there were younger children at home, and as I'd taken a year out and worked for most of it, I had resources behind me.

I'm sure they thought their contribution was fully covered by not charging me rent during university vacations ... unless I was working over the summer!

And this was back in the 'good old days' of the 1970s.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My sons went to university in the 90's.

M younger son was the last year to get a grant. His grant didn't over the cost of his accommodation which was in halls of residence on the university campus.

We had to pay the extra and feed and clothe him etc. Tesco's buy one get one free was very handy.

He also took out the maximum student loan and a student overdraft.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I think it's worth pointing out that 'full grants' were not necessarily available in the 1970s: they were means-tested on parental income even then, back in the dark ages.

That's absolutely true. OP seemed to think that school/college/university were remiss in not telling them that parental income was taken into account. The reason is probably because it was ever thus and they don't imagine there's anyone who doesn't know.

Perhaps those who are harking back to the glory days of the 70s needs to think of educational opportunity across the boards rather than just complaining that too many young people go to university.

Back then there were opportunities for the 'not quite university material' youngsters to enrol on proper apprenticeships and study at the same time on day release for technical qualifications. This included nurses and other health professionals.

Then there were also plenty of unskilled and semi skilled jobs available with proper contracts and job security.

It's not as simple as just saying don't go to university.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    Even someone on a full loan might still struggle even if their finances were assessed independently from their parents given that the costs of living are so high. Particularly if you live away from home.

Not everyone on here is criticising current policy nor suggesting that the system reverts back to grants and not loans.

An ex of mine had a very wealthy family. However his father simply refused to pay the parental contribution.

I was at university in the 70s with someone in that situation - he and his sister had to work for 3 years before starting university so they would be classified as independent - it wasn't the end of the world, just annoying.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If people genuinely didn’t know that the loan system expected parents to contribute how did you think the degree would be financed?

Did you think the loans were going to be big enough to cover all outgoings?

Well they are for some people, that's the problem!

A student with parents on a low income will get full tuition and maintenance loan that will cover their rent and a modest lifestyle.

A student with parents on an average income will get full tuition and maintenance loan that may or may not even cover rent.

At no point are either set of parents asked for their outgoings. It's entirely possible that the parents on a low income have more disposable income than those on an average income. How is that fair on the student who is having their loan cut based purely on income of parents they're no longer legally dependent on?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    Well they are for some people, that's the problem!

A student with parents on a low income will get full tuition and maintenance loan that will cover their rent and a modest lifestyle.

A student with parents on an average income will get full tuition and maintenance loan that may or may not even cover rent.

At no point are either set of parents asked for their outgoings. It's entirely possible that the parents on a low income have more disposable income than those on an average income. How is that fair on the student who is having their loan cut based purely on income of parents they're no longer legally dependent on?

If you look at outgoings there'd be nothing to stop parents remortgaging or taking on large loans so that their children would get higher finance. Outgoings are never taken into account, quite rightly, when claiming public money.
  • DrivingMissDaisy
    Options
    Should have asked him to move to Scotland or Germany
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills