Barclaycard Platinum 0% int 25 months, 0% fee.

Options

Comments

• madvicker
    Options
    Can I ask the question no-one else has, why are you concerned about access to credit? You already have 2 credit cards available, that by your own admission, 1 is paid off in full and the other is a token debt. What exactly are you planning in the future that needs access to debt? Especially considering the £2-3k disposable income you say your husband has?

I doubt its a mortgage, are you looking to borrow cheaply to fund investments? To me it seems you have no need for more credit and are only going through with this exercise to improve your credit histories. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what's your goal here?
  • Gollygumdrops
    Options
    madvicker

Thanks for your reply.

My husband does not need credit per se.

However, as this case itself is proving, we have, found it very difficult to obtain certain top selling accounts in the past, for the very reason that we seem invisible to Experian/Equifax etc.

On advice, given here a while ago and indeed Martin Lewis himself, in order to become visible to these organisations we took out this token credit card, which we had no hassle getting, due to the fact we also had opened their current account.
    Now, however, the 0% interest rate is ending on this second credit card so he just wanted to get another 0% interest credit card to carry on using and be seen on his "file".

It's almost as though people on here are suggesting that he shouldn't bother with 0% interest and 0% transfers because we can afford to pay outright?
    I bet multi-millionaire Martin Lewis would dis-agree with you.

As to what the purpose is?

Why should my husband be discriminated against in trying to obtain good rates for accounts, (both saving and current) and credit cards just because the credit agencies only take certain criteria and banks into account?

As previously said we have paid all our bills on time, paid off a mortgage;never any arrears, been on the electoral roll since 18 etc. etc. Been with HSBC for 30+ years and paid off the credit card every month.

My simple question, originally, was why, after being pre-approved for this card and being told he would 100% get this offer, would Barclaycard ignore his request for their credit card?
    Two plus weeks later, still not a word from Barclays!
  • Gollygumdrops
    Gollygumdrops Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2018 at 1:26PM
    Options
    !!!

You say

"They may reply within 5 days but the letter may take some time to get to you"

Sorry but that is not what they said in their email reply to the application:

"....we will be in touch within the next 5 working days"

They have both hubby's email address and mobile.

It's just plain rudeness not to get in touch, one way or the other.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    ...they said in their email reply to the application:

I agree. That would annoy me too...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    !!!

You say

"They may reply within 5 days but the letter may take some time to get to you"

Sorry but that is not what they said in their email reply to the application:

They send mail responses by post.

They're also not responsible for Royal Mail's delivery timescales
  • madvicker
    madvicker Posts: 157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 5 September 2018 at 2:51PM
    Options
    madvicker

Thanks for your reply.

My husband does not need credit per se.

However, as this case itself is proving, we have, found it very difficult to obtain certain top selling accounts in the past, for the very reason that we seem invisible to Experian/Equifax etc.

On advice, given here a while ago and indeed Martin Lewis himself, in order to become visible to these organisations we took out this token credit card, which we had no hassle getting, due to the fact we also had opened their current account.
    Now, however, the 0% interest rate is ending on this second credit card so he just wanted to get another 0% interest credit card to carry on using and be seen on his "file".

If all you're looking to do is have a record on your husbands credit history, then it is irrelevant whether it holds a balance or not. So the 0% interest is also, therefore, irrelevant

It's almost as though people on here are suggesting that he shouldn't bother with 0% interest and 0% transfers because we can afford to pay outright?
    I bet multi-millionaire Martin Lewis would dis-agree with you.

If you're looking to borrow then certainly, it is something to bother about.
    But it appears you have no need/plan to borrow. Martin doesn't suggest borrowing for the sake of borrowing...... Anyways, we are using the Lord's name in vain here...

As to what the purpose is?

Why should my husband be discriminated against in trying to obtain good rates for accounts, (both saving and current) and credit cards just because the credit agencies only take certain criteria and banks into account?

What you're saying here makes no sense. Savings account providers make no discriminations based on borrowing history - they are only concerned with money laundering regs, and so will look to prove your identity only. As for current account providers, what accounts do you mean? Which ones have you tried to get that you believed you should get?
    Also, you mention credit cards again - seeing as you're not looking to borrow funds, are you trying to get Reward cards that you pay off in full?

As previously said we have paid all our bills on time, paid off a mortgage;never any arrears, been on the electoral roll since 18 etc. etc. Been with HSBC for 30+ years and paid off the credit card every month.

My simple question, originally, was why, after being pre-approved for this card and being told he would 100% get this offer, would Barclaycard ignore his request for their credit card?

Barclaycard only have a pre-approval for Barclaycard Initial. You wouldn't have had a pre-approval for the Platinum cards. So the 100% you got is incorrect. Besides, even the pre-approved card has a proviso which says approval is subject to checks on the information given. Lastly, Barclaycard are well within their rights to refuse ANYONE a card - just try someone else if they refuse.

Two plus weeks later, still not a word from Barclays!

That is a long time.....have you tried contacting them back?

See comments in red. Still not quite sure why you need an additional card, for reasons stated above - but if Barclaycard refuse, it's not because you're being discriminated against - and you are more than welcome to ask them the reason why. Normally you get the answer "Because you failed credit scoring", but they may be more informative.....
  • Gollygumdrops
    Options
    !!!
    "They send mail responses by post.

They're also not responsible for Royal Mail's delivery timescales"

Still not heard from Barclays as of 7 pm 08.09.18.

Do you work for them by any chance, as you do seem to constantly give them the benefit of the doubt?
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    If it were me, seeing as such a long time had passed, I would contact them by phone on Monday morning, to find out what has happened to your application. I would let them know, at that time, that I was unhappy at them for not being able adhere to their stipulated timescale. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Gollygumdrops
    Options
    Madvicker

No good continuing this discussion with you as you obviously do not seem to understand what the point of having credit history is!
    If my husband is being refused credit cards because he has no previous credit history, then we have to make a credit history! (Despite the fact as already mentioned he has used credit cards for years, Bank account straight from school, worked since 17, had a mortgage since 19, never had arrears in anything, electoral roll since 18 etc. etc.)

How would you like it if you applied for a new credit card because you no longer wanted to bank with your current provider or could get a better rate elsewhere but were refused on the basis that you could not be verified on the Credit Agencies files?

Why do some people on here try to defend the banks so much? We all know they do not have the customers interest at heart, as has been proven by this application by Barclays who don't even have the courtesy to reply.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Phone them then - initiative states to do that.

This is a public forum and people can express their own opinions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure