New plan...time to see some movement!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
1.6K replies 87.8K views

Replies

• jwiljwil Forumite
    13.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pay it off the debt if I were you because I wouldn't trust myself not to fritter it. Money burns a hole when it's available and I have zero will power :o. But that's just me :).

I always think that if you have no choice then you do manage. It's hard to be really frugal when you have a choice to be less frugal.

You are absolutely right that I would manage. I'm a fritterer too and don't want to dip into it. I'm going to do the sums and check I've got nothing due out. I've plenty of experience living with no cash left after payday, so I know I can do it!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • SusieTSusieT Forumite
    476 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I would let it sit in the savings account, you can look at it and know that you could pay it and that you are actually in the teens, but also that it will earn you a few pence interest while it sits in there, thus being very moneysaving :D
    Credit card debt - NIL :j
    Home improvement loans 41,000 now 30,130 26% paid original finish dates 2025 and 2027
    Mortgage 100,000 now 64,513 35% paid
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    13.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done on not spending much on the work do :T and congratulations on the pay rise :T.

Thank you :)
    SusieT wrote: »
    I would let it sit in the savings account, you can look at it and know that you could pay it and that you are actually in the teens, but also that it will earn you a few pence interest while it sits in there, thus being very moneysaving :D

That is true, though I looked at the account, and think interest is added annually :( I had interest last month, so I don't think it will make any difference :(
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    13.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a new dilemma :think:

It's been suggested that I apply for a new job at work. The person who got the job in the restructure is leaving and so it's available. It's a promotion, and would mean a small pay rise, but it would be a new pay grade, so I'll be at the bottom of the grade and each year I'd move up a step, meaning it's a guaranteed pay rise each year.

The job is to manage a specific project, which means my main concern is that the job won't be there once the project is complete. I've been told that it will be as secure as my current job as once the project is done we'll be restructuring again anyway *sigh*.

I can do the job, but I know what it entails and it will be stressful, and there are certain aspects I will hate and if it goes wrong it will be very high profile. On the other hand, it will be a great challenge, a real opportunity, and if it goes right it will be high profile too.

With my current role, I've got some really exciting projects coming up, and I was looking forward to doing them. I wouldn't be able to do them anymore. On the other hand, I have a new boss starting soon, so they may take them off my hands anyway. I like my current role and am happy in it.

There's no chance in delaying the decision as the project is going ahead with or without me. (Of course I might not get it, but I have experience of doing this, just not at this level, hencewhy they've suggested I go for it).

So what do I do, go with the challenge, promotion and accept that I will hate bits of it, or stay where I am enjoying what I am doing, bearing in mind this could change anyway.
  • IgamogamIgamogam Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    jwil wrote: »
    I've got a new dilemma :think:

Nothing ventured. Nothing gained..............
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    13.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Igamogam wrote: »
    Nothing ventured. Nothing gained..............

I'm sort of thinking that way too :)
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    13.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the inevitable has happened - I have paid the F&F :T :T :T :D:D:D

I haven't got time for it to sink in at the moment, will wait for that confirmation, then update the numbers.

I feel a bit :j :j :j

I'm also skint, but who cares :D
  • WannabeFreeWannabeFree Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd go for it and then if you are chosen then sit and write the pros and cons of both. Like you say your current job could change etc.

Do what feels right for you though

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • HairyHandofDartmoorHairyHandofDartmoor Forumite
    13.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jwil wrote: »
    Well, the inevitable has happened - I have paid the F&F :T :T :T :D:D:D

I haven't got time for it to sink in at the moment, will wait for that confirmation, then update the numbers.

I feel a bit :j :j :j

I'm also skint, but who cares :D

Hurrah I'm glad you went for it :T. What has your debt total gone down to now?

I feel inclined to think that you should go for the new promotion because you may regret it if you don't. But it has to be your decision of course :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £800/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £183.57/£500. SEF = £2,050/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £500. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £500.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £1,000 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 6 YEARS 4 MONTHS
  • edited 3 May 2019 at 12:25PM
    WannabeFreeWannabeFree Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2019 at 12:25PM
    We cross posted sorry :o

Amazing news on the F&F. :j :j :j
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals