Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd love to see how you work that out on the tax return :rotfl:
    I'm a poor retired person, so I no longer fill out tax returns. :D
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Replied to the survey. I can't see how it enforceable for many.

Many in the country have their own sources of wood, and this doesn't seem to have been considered.

For instance we only have 1/2 acre, but have at least the next 3 to 4 years of winter wood logged up, or as standing dead timber ready for the chainsaw this winter
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Oh.... I run a very controllable stove from a Devon company, Woodwarm, but I've seen the quality of build on Clearview stoves, and they have their supporters.

My parents-in-law have two. My sister-in-law has one. I had one in a rented house. The build quality is fantastic but, in my experience, they don't run well when throttled back. It seems to be all or nothing.

It could just be me though.
  • Smiley_Dan
    Smiley_Dan Posts: 948 Forumite
    Options
    I think some of the complaints about the government here might be misplaced. The only reason this is being discussed for wood (it's obvious for coal) is because there are a lot of people with zero respect for anyone or anything else and insist on burning crap wood, burning slowly, polluting the local environment.

EH departments have to deal with this quite often, and including in built-up areas.

Basically, it's another case in energy where the externalities are not being priced in, so it needs Government intervention.

I personally love a stove but we also have to recognise there are significant issues with air quality.

The solution is to fix the houses so they don't need as much heat in the first place. Government's continual failure to achieve this is what you should really be complaining about.

I really wouldn't bother replying to consultations - unless you're a representative of a large company you won't be listened to.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You mean large companies or politically motivated pressure groups, surely? I have absolutely no doubt that all the usual suspects in the 'Green' movement were deeply involved.

As for not bothering to take part, while I agree that it will have no effect, lack of engagement is exactly what politicians and the civil service rely on, so they can claim their barmy ideas have 'broad support'.
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made my point via the survey,so therefore I can have my say in places like this.Its like voting: you cannot complain if you dont vote.Gove and his Eco Saints have made their minds up.My stoves are a soft target.If Gove really meant business,then all motor vehicle would be banned tomorrow - but that would cause economic collapse!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I'm a poor retired person

with a full freezer and a log store :money: :money: :money: :money: :money:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Smiley_Dan
    Smiley_Dan Posts: 948 Forumite
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    You mean large companies or politically motivated pressure groups, surely? I have absolutely no doubt that all the usual suspects in the 'Green' movement were deeply involved.
    No, I really just mean large companies. Maybe you're right about this particular consultation; my experience was really around energy regulations where those that want to make better, healthier houses don't really get much of a look in as soon as a volume housebuilder or energy company raises its eyebrows.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I live on the edge of a village, far from a main road.

I always wipe the washing line down before using it, and the cloth is black if I haven't wiped the line for a week. I suppose some of this could be particulate from diesel emissions.

In the winter, the air is often heavy with wood smoke. I quite like the smell, but I'm sure inhaling can't be good for you.

One of my neighbours lit a fire a couple of days ago when it was cold, and there was thick black smoke coming from their chimney. I assume they were burning coal.

I can see the sense in banning the sale of solid fuel.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Smiley_Dan wrote: »
    No, I really just mean large companies. Maybe you're right about this particular consultation; my experience was really around energy regulations where those that want to make better, healthier houses don't really get much of a look in as soon as a volume housebuilder or energy company raises its eyebrows.

No one with an open mind could read DEFRA's 'consultation' and not understand that it had been driven by the 'Green' movement, or that a decision had already been made.

Having first campaigned vigorously in favour of wood burning, the eco warriors have now decided it is an evil. They have already succeeded in having it outlawed in parts of California (where so many idiotic notions come from). It was only a matter of time before they tried to import it to the UK.

These are the same people who brought us government incentives to drive diesel cars and biomass burning at Drax, using wood imported from native forests in the USA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure