Gov. Consultation on wood & coal

Options
A news piece popped up on the radar claiming that the government was consulting on the banning of coal and wood as domestic fuel - Typical click-bait, poorly researched "news", and not worth providing a link to. However, DEFRA are consulting on the subject of wood and coal as domestic fuel with a proposal to ban the sale of unseasoned wood in quantities of less than 2m³ and phase out traditional house coal. One would still be able to purchase manufactured smokeless coal & anthracite along with wet wood in bulk (i.e. over 2m³).

The consultation documents are here - https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/air-quality-using-cleaner-fuels-for-domestic-burning
and online comments can be posted here - https://consult.defra.gov.uk/airquality/domestic-solid-fuel-regulations/
Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is the usual government nonsense of chasing votes by responding to noisy pressure groups and the EU (which we are supposed to be in the process of leaving) and avoiding the hard issues.

The use of bituminous 'house coal' is already banned in most towns and cities, as is wood burning unless an approved stove is used. As for the use of 'wet' wood, does Gove seriously propose a team of inspectors, armed with moisture meters to check that each consignment of wood meets his requirements?

In the country the use of coal or wood is not a problem. In cities it shouldn't be happening anyway and only is because of a lack of enforcement of existing regulations. What chance the enforcement of even more strenuous rules?
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It seems a reasonable idea in principle. But I'm not sure how they intend to enforce it.

One thing we could do without is the rubbish firewood sold in bags in DIY stores, petrol stations and garden centres. I bought quite a bit of it when I first got my stove. In the end, every bag I bought was either not properly seasoned or soaking wet from being stored outdoors :mad:.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    It seems a reasonable idea in principle. But I'm not sure how they intend to enforce it.

Indeed given the lack of enforcement on the smokeless zone's currently. (at least near me, not that I think I am in one anymore since my last move, but only moved 3 miles so I can still see it in action!)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I predict a scrappage scheme for wood burners when the media latches-onto the negative health effects of city-dwellers heating their homes with dodgy wood.

This should happen around the time when stove sales have peaked and the love affair with real fires is on the wane. They'll suddenly become symbols of our evil desires for self-indulgence at any price.

Hmmm, I might then be able to pick up a nearly new Clearview from a dealer at a sensible price. :)
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The question is, will you be allowed to use it?

I've taken part in the 'consultation' exercise and I urge anyone else who is involved in this farce-in-the-making to do likewise.

Having said that, it is (as one would expect) a fake process. It's clear from the questionnaire that Gove and his DEFRA hippies have made up their minds and are simply trying to elicit responses that justify what they have already decided to do.

However, I do think there is some, albeit marginal, value in letting them know that we know what they are up to.
  • Davesnave
    edited 26 August 2018 at 11:02PM
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I expect so. I'm in a place where even Gove would have to agree that heating with wood is acceptable and sensible, given we produce it and also take payments in logs or meat. We'd have a crisis of currency if wood-burning was banned.

But no one bothers about us country bumpkins anyway. Look at the survey; where's Devon among the county options? It doesn't exist!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Hmmm, I might then be able to pick up a nearly new Clearview from a dealer at a sensible price. :)

I wouldn't bother. Unless you run the things at full throttle, they won't run at all.
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »

I've taken part in the 'consultation' exercise and I urge anyone else who is involved in this farce-in-the-making to do likewise.

Having said that, it is (as one would expect) a fake process. It's clear from the questionnaire that Gove and his DEFRA hippies have made up their minds and are simply trying to elicit responses that justify what they have already decided to do.

However, I do think there is some, albeit marginal, value in letting them know that we know what they are up to.

I agree.I also let them know I thought it was a stitch up!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    ... also take payments in logs or meat

I'd love to see how you work that out on the tax return :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    I wouldn't bother. Unless you run the things at full throttle, they won't run at all.
    Oh.... I run a very controllable stove from a Devon company, Woodwarm, but I've seen the quality of build on Clearview stoves, and they have their supporters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure