MSE News: Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers

Options

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    My gas account has gone from being £90 in credit on 28 July to a final bill £114 in debit. Makes no sense at all.

Have you done your own calculations.

It's easy enough to take your initial reading (from when you joined them) from the 31st July 2018 reading (that hopefully you read and saved) to give you the number of cu.m (or cu.ft depending on your meter) used. Multiply it by the conversion factors to end up with kwh (the info on how to do it is on your bill).

Then multiply the total number of kwh you've use since you joined them by the tariff rate (again on the bill) which will give you the total cost of the gas you've used.

Work out the number of days you've been with them (there are date calculators on the internet that will do it for you) and multiply that by the daily standing charge to give you the total standing charges. Add that to the total cost of the gas used and you should end up with your total gas charge for the period you were with them.Add 5% vat to the total

Do the same with Leccy (if you've got dual fuel) and find out the total amount that you've spent

Add the gas and leccy charges together to find out how much you should have paid since you joined them.

You them work out how much you've actually paid them (number of monthly DDs x the DD amount) and take that away from the charges and see whether you are in credit or debit.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This gets more and more insane - a bill has appeared on the Iresa site dated 1st May to 18th August!! Opening balance and meter read are correct -but closing read is mine from 31st July with s/charges calculated to 1st August. Why they have gone back to May is beyond me,as the May and June bills were OK (and still on the site)

I can only presume that this will be the bill that Octopus will be sending me!
  • beardiedog
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    This gets more and more insane - a bill has appeared on the Iresa site dated 1st May to 18th August!! Opening balance and meter read are correct -but closing read is mine from 31st July with s/charges calculated to 1st August. Why they have gone back to May is beyond me,as the May and June bills were OK (and still on the site)

I can only presume that this will be the bill that Octopus will be sending me!

Just checked my Iresa account. No final bills as yet but all the debits have disappeared from my Electricity account and is showing a credit balance of £871.50! The figure on the left is correct though.

What a mess this is turning out to be :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    well considering all meter readings were my own my credit balance has decreased from £93.37 to £43.57 overnight
  • beardiedog
    beardiedog Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All the debits are back again but my credit balance has reduced by £3. They're obviously doing some adjustments to past bills that Iresa have probably calculated incorrectly.

Might do as matelodave says and check the calculations myself. I don't trust them.
  • psamuel
    psamuel Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just looking at my emails from octopus and it states I will be able to move by midnight on the 21st.
    Still no final bill, still 87£ in credit.
    A lot of work for octopus to complete in the next day or so.
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    psamuel wrote: »
    Just looking at my emails from octopus and it states I will be able to move by midnight on the 21st.
    Still no final bill, still 87£ in credit.
    A lot of work for octopus to complete in the next day or so.

I think you may be confabulating issues here.

There is no necessity to have received a final bill, let alone any credit/debit settled on that final bill, relating to the supplier before your present one to allow a further switch.

If Octopus Energy are saying they will allow a switch application from 21-Aug-2018, then I'm sure they will.

In the meantime, I see elsewhere on this board that final bills relating to Iresa Energy are starting to be received.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They are using the term "should". I believe until you press the "accept" on the final bill e-mail you are still mid switch and any request from another supplier will be rejected.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've jumped this morning by pressing the "accept" button. Final bill was OK ,other than the extra s/charge for 1st August which seems wrong ..but hey ho!!
    I've tried to email Octopus this morning to query a meter reading they are still showing as "take over of supply" from 7th August, which is actually lower than the final settlement reading BUT the "hello@octopus.energy" email is bouncing back. Anyone got a working email addy??
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 August 2018 at 1:11PM
    Options
    beardiedog wrote: »
    I've cancelled my DD. They've got £200 credit to cover the next few weeks or so.

Should I let Octopus know that I've cancelled?

I have got an email from Octopus this morning to confirm the transfer from Irea to Octopus with some credit. The final bill from Iresa was a bit higher than actual reading, but Iresa tariff is cheaper than Octopus, and I don't want to waste my time here. I accepted this proposal. Then I have applied to transfer from Octopus to OutFox now and cancelled the DD with Iresa / Octopus. Then I have found the following message!!

If you choose to switch away, your remaining credit will be refunded via your Direct Debit once your account is closed. If you stay, you'll see it as a credit on your statement, and we'll automatically refund it if you start building up too much credit on your account.

As far as I know, Octopus management is excellent, they tried to make a very smooth transition from Iresa to Octopus. I think that Credit will be refund automatically via DD. So if you still have a live DD, keep it. That is the way to work. I can see that my credit is transfer to Octopus account. I can say this is well planned. Then you will get the refund eventually. This should be effortless.

If you have billing issue with Iresa, it would take some time to fix it. In my case, I did not have any issue with Iresa. It would be great to get Octopus management with Iresa tariff. Well it is impossible, then I moved to another supplier.

I personally have no issue with Iresa apart from this final bill. It is a shame...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure