IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

BW Legal 'Letter Of Claim'

Options

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stud26 wrote: »
    b) Sorry, what's 'protected characteristics'?

Just stick 'protected characteristics' into google to find out.

Even quicker than asking the question. :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BW are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to ambulance chasing so it is best to get a robust response back to BW to advise them that if NCP haven't told them of your protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010 (being a breastfeeding mother of a child under 6 months), you are telling them now. You should also tell them to cease processing your personal data with reference to this matter and if they continue you will refer the matter to the Information Commissioner for a breach of the Data Protection Act 2018.

Copy in NCP themselves.

You might also want to write to your MP requesting that in the upcoming Bill to regulate Parking companies that if any company if found breaching the Equality Act, that their access to personal details via the DVLA is removed until such times as they rectify the matter and compensate the victims.
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the above is good advice .... you are unlikely to find better ......

with reference to "write to your MP requesting that in the upcoming Bill to regulate Parking companies that if any company if found breaching the Equality Act, that their access to personal details via the DVLA is removed until such times as they rectify the matter and compensate the victims."

please take the time to watch / read the below ...

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

and slightly longer the committee stage

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/d5550515-cce9-4185-83ec-754dadb7524a

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.

good luck

Ralph:cool:
  • stud26
    stud26 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Is there an example of a response letter I can use as a starting point?

@IamEmanresu, you mentioned:
    Copy in NCP themselves.

Am I emailing them? If so which address should I use?
    Building my kids' savings from day one. Education is key to financial control.
    Save money using my referral codes > https://www.oyal.co.uk/p/7c78e51b5e/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Emails get "lost" so would use the email address from before plus send a letter (with proof of posting) to the address given on the ticket. Letters (with proof of posting) have the legal edge over emails.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 19 July 2018 at 5:17PM
    Options
    Were they to take this to court, (unlikely), and win, (even more unlikely if you threatened them with a disability discrimination counter claim, the most they could hope for would be less than £200. claiming more is all part of the scam.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.
    and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • stud26
    Options
    Is there an example of a response letter I can use as a starting point?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Of course, in the same sticky thread you were pointed to read in post #3.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • stud26
    Options
    Thanks coupon-mad, to be clear, do you mean this page? https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74163362#post74163362
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Obviously not.

Read post #3 above - and read the sticky thread waamo linked it for you!

If you are not forum savvy you can simply Google what a forum sticky thread is.

The link you gave is not a sticky thread (clue - they are advice threads 'stuck' at the top of any forum, go and read it - when I wrote it, I didn't put 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ FIRST' in capital letters for fun...).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure