Hilarious finding about Audi drivers

Options

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Now you're getting into a new-money/old-money debate.... Wilmslow and Alderley Edge - new money, self-made millionaires, footballers; so Bentleys and hypercars abound and image is important to many people. Inherited wealth and where it is mostly tied up in the land or the shareholdings and people will often drive an older Merc, Volvo or Range Rover which meets their day to day needs without feeling they need to have the latest model - their status is already known.

Culture can play a part too. Go to a major motor show and you'll see a fair number of young Asian lads taking selfies with hypercars. So much, you'll have to fight to see the car without one... Some of them are just mucking about - some of them are thinking "When my business idea comes good, I'm gonna get one of these to show the world I've made it!" And if/when they do - I can't blame them for wanting to celebrate that. But you also get those who don't have the drive/skill/luck to make it but will then get into debt to buy something in a "Keeping up with the Jahans" way.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Now you're getting into a new-money/old-money debate.... Wilmslow and Alderley Edge - new money, self-made millionaires, footballers; so Bentleys and hypercars abound and image is important to many people. Inherited wealth and where it is mostly tied up in the land or the shareholdings and people will often drive an older Merc, Volvo or Range Rover which meets their day to day needs without feeling they need to have the latest model - their status is already known.

Culture can play a part too. Go to a major motor show and you'll see a fair number of young Asian lads taking selfies with hypercars. So much, you'll have to fight to see the car without one... Some of them are just mucking about - some of them are thinking "When my business idea comes good, I'm gonna get one of these to show the world I've made it!" And if/when they do - I can't blame them for wanting to celebrate that. But you also get those who don't have the drive/skill/luck to make it but will then get into debt to buy something in a "Keeping up with the Jahans" way.
    New money vs old money? Surely it's more just about what you desire in life? Pretty sure the Queen is knocking around in a Rolls Royce (at my expense), and I doubt she needs any of the status boost.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Worth noting by the way, the vehicle you mention is a luxury vehicle.... hence a point I've made all along.

Not to these people, loose change to them for an e-class merc estate. High milers and old'ish.
    One owner loved it because it generally only needed pads/discs, wiper blades etc for the mot. Years old car but he insisted on mobil 1 type oil.
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • Stoke
    Options
    fred990 wrote: »
    Not to these people, loose change to them for an e-class merc estate. High milers and old'ish.
    One owner loved it because it generally only needed pads/discs, wiper blades etc for the mot. Years old car but he insisted on mobil 1 type oil.
    No, but the 'class' of car is still luxury. I'd much rather sit in an old Merc than a brand new Dacia. Mind you, I'd rather sit in a chemical toilet than a brand new Dacia.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it's the only way the average Joe can show off. Get a flashy car on finance to overcome status anxiety. Worse still drive it like a teewat.

And theres that reverse snobbery again ;)

Conversely, given almost everyone who gets a brand new car does so on finance or lease of some sort, how on earth is it "showing off"?

If they really were trying to impress the neighbours they wouldnt get a brand new car?
    I used to fly corporate helicopters on my days off from flying big airline planes. I was always amazed to land at very wealthy sprawling mansions and the owners had very unassuming cars. Total waste of money was a common comment. Often an old high mileage merc e-class type car in the drive.

I suspect a lot of that you're adding in yourself to suit the story. I'd say most people with money who enjoy nice cars have a weekday runabout and several cars garaged up for the weekend.

And likewise, being a multi-millionaire doesnt suddenly endow you with a taste to enjoy nice cars, and conversely not being a multimillionaire doesnt preclude you from liking or enjoying nice cars.

That is to say, you could be very rich and not be "in" to cars, or not be very rich but be "in" to nice cars.

Just saying "oh i know some rich people and they dont have fancy cars therefore all rich people dont actually own fancy cars" is wrong.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I drive in and around Wilmslow where some of the mansions have McLaren's parked on the drive. Yes, some wealthy people want to drive around in a second hand Mondeo, but most do enjoy a bit more refinement. Worth noting by the way, the vehicle you mention is a luxury vehicle.... hence a point I've made all along.

+1

If i'm every fortunate enough to be exceedingly rich (starting to cut it fine now..) then given the choice between slumming it in some !!!!!! Mondeo or being separated from the outside world by being in some climate controlled luxury car, i know which i'll be chosing. :cool:

I dont see Alan Sugar pottering about in a Mondeo.
  • motorguy
    Options

Typically they dont have the money to spend on some flash car. Big old stately homes cost a fortune to run, heat and maintain. Often they'll live in one or two rooms as they cant afford to heat the house.

With respect, most Asians / Muslims will buy their cars with cash. Its against their religion to borrow money and would be frowned upon greatly.
  • motorguy
    Options

And as Stoke says, its still a premium brand car. They may not chose to lease it, but its still a premium brand. They're not knocking about in Dacias are they?

And moreoften as i said. if they're in to cars at all, they'll have a runner for during the week and a handful of flash cars in the garage.

Conversely they may not be in to cars, but that doesnt draw the conclusion "all rich people drive older cars".

Theres two millionaires in my family circle.
    • My BIL. Had a high end civil service job, took early retirement. Huge pension fund, big savings. Drives a 2018 Jag XJ.
    • My Uncle. Was MD of a big insurance firm, had big Jags as a company car since he was in his 20s, then big Mercs, now in his 70s has a new Q3.

Granted, not "mansion owning" millionaires, but certainly very well off and neither are afraid to put their hand in their pocket for a nice car.

Why drive about in something old and !!!!!! if you dont have to?
  • Stoke
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    +1

If i'm every fortunate enough to be exceedingly rich (starting to cut it fine now..) then given the choice between slumming it in some !!!!!! Mondeo or being separated from the outside world by being in some climate controlled luxury car, i know which i'll be chosing. :cool:

I dont see Alan Sugar pottering about in a Mondeo.

If it was up to Fred, you'd be stood at the bar flicking through your wallet wondering whether you could afford another Vodka Martini or if it's time to switch to Fosters.

No, I don't see Alan Sugar pottering about in a Mondeo either.... and this whole new money vs old money is garbage as well. Just because some wealthy aristocrat hammers an old Land Rover Defender around his 30 acre estate while fox hunting, doesn't mean that's what he travels to his business meetings in. He probably gets his driver to pick between the Flying Spur or the S-Class.

If I was wealthy, would I drive a Flying Spur? Probably not, but I wouldn't be boshing around in an old Mondeo either. MSE's interpretation of living within your means doesn't involve much 'living' does it?
  • Stoke
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Why drive about in something old and !!!!!! if you dont have to?
    I think this is key. I'm sure everyone can afford something nicer than they currently drive, but it's about finding that balance. Just because you don't have to drive a Dacia, doesn't mean you should try and buy an Aston Martin. That said, there's something in the middle that is both satisfying cost wise and gives the luxury that makes driving a pleasure.

Not so on here, if you drive anything other than a Sandero, then you're a moron.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure