Hilarious finding about Audi drivers

Options

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    I think SUVs and "soft roaders" have taken over from "people carriers" of 10 years ago.

They're seen more as a lifestyle choice rather than "i've given up on life as i have kids and thus need to drive a Zafira"

Theres merit in them - high viewing position, ease of getting kids in and out, room, storage, etc, but the biggest ones are unweldly, hard on fuel and generally not required. Hence the advent of the "soft roader" - has the looks and stance of a full on SUV but without the running cost downsides. Like the Qashqai etc.
    Do you think that there remains this myth of 'bigger is better' from a protection point of view? In the past, that's what I always assumed the SUV craze was about: "I'm taking my kiddies to school, and I want the biggest metal cage around them to protect them".
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fred990 wrote: »
    You'd be wrong then, try another guess.

Whatever buddy, however it seems very convenient that all these multimillionaires you know all drive really old cars and wouldnt dream of buying a new one - which just so happens to line up with your skewed view on expensive cars.

And likewise its amusing that these same rich people want the big fancy house, the helicopter visits, etc, but shun a nice car? Very odd...

I've no doubt there are some rich people who dont want or drive something new and fancy - if they're not "in" to cars i guess i can understand why.

I'm not entirely sure what it proves anyway? Just because some people with money dont buy new cars doesnt preclude anyone else buying a new car.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Whatever buddy, however it seems very convenient that all these multimillionaires you know all drive really old cars and wouldnt dream of buying a new one - which just so happens to line up with your skewed view on expensive cars.

And likewise its amusing that these same rich people want the big fancy house, the helicopter visits, etc, but shun a nice car? Very odd...

I've no doubt there are some rich people who dont want or drive something new and fancy - if they're not "in" to cars i guess i can understand why.

I'm not entirely sure what it proves anyway? Just because some people with money dont buy new cars doesnt preclude anyone else buying a new car.

They probably buy expensive watches instead..... and while I have absolutely no issue with that, I know which I'd rather buy. What's going to give me hours and hours and hours of fun :)

Not a Rolex Datejust..... and certainly not a Dacia Sandero.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Two weeks today and western promise has not been back, probably retired to contemplate the ridiculous, inverted snobbery he posted and the reality of the truth he has been served with here.

Wonder if wp has future plans to post more garbage on another part of the forum?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • motorguy
    Options
    It does seem odd that :-
    1. Its ok for rich people not to want a nice new car.
    2. Its ok for rich people to want a nice new car.
    3. Its ok for regular people not to want a nice new car.
    4. However its NOT ok for regular people to want a nice new car. I mean how very dare they?? They're clearly only doing it to !!!! other people off, after all and are OBVIOUSLY living beyond their means.

As i said before in scenario 4 to me its not the regular people wanting a new car that have issues, its the people who take exception to it that have the issues.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    New money vs old money? Surely it's more just about what you desire in life? Pretty sure the Queen is knocking around in a Rolls Royce (at my expense), and I doubt she needs any of the status boost.
    The Offical State Car is a Bentley - given to her by Bentley (a great bit of marketing there). But when she drove herself around Sandringham, she would happily knock about in whatever was available and probably LR shaped. You started by mentioning McLarens in Wilmslow - my point being that that neighbourhood is more new money than old money not that it was a universal divide.
    I dont see Alan Sugar pottering about in a Mondeo.
    Well if you believe the TV - he is chauffeured about in a Phantom EWB. Self-made businessman - fits his character. Don't know whether he cares about cars himself - maybe the status is in having a driver. The late Edward Stobart (the road haulier) drove a discreet S-class Merc but his younger brother William was a blinged up Range Rover guy.
    Typically they dont have the money to spend on some flash car. Big old stately homes cost a fortune to run, heat and maintain. Often they'll live in one or two rooms as they cant afford to heat the house.
    Like I said - inherited money is often in the land and not disposable
    With respect, most Asians / Muslims will buy their cars with cash. Its against their religion to borrow money and would be frowned upon greatly.
    I thought it was charging interest that was not allowed - hence there are Muslim financial institutions offering loan-type products that are sharia-friendly. Not all Asians are Muslim and not all of them are practising either - I worked with a few who were funding their rides on credit. But among the ambitious entrepreneur types - it would then be even more likely for them to want a status symbol that shows they were doing well enough to buy it with cash.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think SUVs and "soft roaders" have taken over from "people carriers" of 10 years ago.
    in the same way that the people carrier replaced the large family estate for many people perhaps. I agree that image plays a part for many of them. My observed evidence for this is the Range Rover Evoque - which I see plenty of in my bit of London - available in 2 wheel drive form for those who want the look but know they won't go anywhere more off-road than a Waitrose carpark
    Stoke wrote: »
    Do you think that there remains this myth of 'bigger is better' from a protection point of view? In the past, that's what I always assumed the SUV craze was about: "I'm taking my kiddies to school, and I want the biggest metal cage around them to protect them".
    I've heard a few parents say that. I know one lady who carted her kids around in a Toyota Land Cruiser. One day she clipped another car and the driver got out and shouted at her so her response was to tell her husband she needed a bigger car as she didn't feel safe any more.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • motorguy
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Well if you believe the TV - he is chauffeured about in a Phantom EWB. Self-made businessman - fits his character. Don't know whether he cares about cars himself - maybe the status is in having a driver. The late Edward Stobart (the road haulier) drove a discreet S-class Merc but his younger brother William was a blinged up Range Rover guy.

AMS 1 is currently on a 2016 Ghost EWB. I think hes currently off the coast of Croatia somewhere on his £12 million yacht.

Like I said - inherited money is often in the land and not disposable

Indeed - so it may be that they simply dont have the cash necessary to buy a new high end Merc or LR, whereas people who arent from "old money" may well do.

I thought it was charging interest that was not allowed - hence there are Muslim financial institutions offering loan-type products that are sharia-friendly. Not all Asians are Muslim and not all of them are practising either - I worked with a few who were funding their rides on credit. But among the ambitious entrepreneur types - it would then be even more likely for them to want a status symbol that shows they were doing well enough to buy it with cash.

All valid points :)
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    Why are Audi drivers so humourless and insecure? Is it because they drive Audis - or do they drive Audis because they're humourless and insecure?
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    Hilarious. I never thought anyone would not get that.
    Whooooooooooooooooosh!

Audi driver....says it all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family