Hilarious finding about Audi drivers

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    Quite right: Bricks and mortar do not depreciate, but any car driven out of a showroom, has depreciated before it gets to the end of the street. Doesn't mean that those who can afford the depreciation (or think they can) should not buy whatever they want. It's their money.

But you had your priorities sorted there, Fred.:D

I take it you dont remember the housing market crash of 2007/ 2008 then?
  • motorguy
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I think this is key. I'm sure everyone can afford something nicer than they currently drive, but it's about finding that balance. Just because you don't have to drive a Dacia, doesn't mean you should try and buy an Aston Martin. That said, there's something in the middle that is both satisfying cost wise and gives the luxury that makes driving a pleasure.

Not so on here, if you drive anything other than a Sandero, then you're a moron.

And you're clearly only driving it to impress the neighbours, give a false image of wealth and are clearly living beyond your means to do so.

Not at all because you just happen to like the car and it suits your requirements.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    And you're clearly only driving it to impress the neighbours, give a false image of wealth and are clearly living beyond your means to do so.

Not at all because you just happen to like the car and it suits your requirements.
    Yep. Mine isn't even a new one, but I'm happy to join the crew desperate to keep up with the Jones'.

Dear me....
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 July 2018 at 1:59PM
    Options
    We like our new (middle of the range) car every 3 years. We can afford them, and have even taken out PCP in the past because it was such a good deal - although did eventually make the balloon payment thereby owning the car outright.

On the other hand, we don't waste £4K+ a year on holidays that leave you with nothing but distant memories and a few camera phone snaps.

Horses for courses.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Yep. Mine isn't even a new one, but I'm happy to join the crew desperate to keep up with the Jones'.

Dear me....

I've said it many times on threads like this - if a neighbour drives past in some fancy new car i'll think "wow nice car". Theres clearly a (fortunately small) minority of people who'll think "oh, well he clearly cant afford that".

To me, that sort of response and the "hes clearly only driving that to impress others and look down his nose at me" speaks volumes about that indvidual moreso than the guy driving the car.

If someone wants to drive something new and shiny for whatever reason rather than something old then (a) i dont care why and (b) i dont get why some people do care why?
  • motorguy
    Options
    We like our new (middle of the range) car every 3 years. We can afford them, and have even taken out PCP in the past because it was such a good deal - although did eventually make the balloon payment thereby owning the car outright.

On the other hand, we don't waste £4K+ a year on holidays that leave you with nothing but distant memories and a few camera phone snaps.

Horses for courses.

Exactly. We all spend our money as we see fit and to suit our own needs.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    I've said it many times on threads like this - if a neighbour drives past in some fancy new car i'll think "wow nice car". Theres clearly a (fortunately small) minority of people who'll think "oh, well he clearly cant afford that".

To me, that sort of response and the "hes clearly only driving that to impress others and look down his nose at me" speaks volumes about that indvidual moreso than the guy driving the car.

If someone wants to drive something new and shiny for whatever reason rather than something old then (a) i dont care why and (b) i dont get why some people do care why?
    Ironically enough, if the neighbour drives past in a fancy new car, I'll think "wow, nice car". If the neighbour drives past in a fancy second hand car (like an old S2000), I'll think "wow, nice car". If a neighbour drives past in a Dacia I'll think "wow, he's not very good with money is he?".

Totally anti-MSE :D
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why is it that so many mums want an SUV to take the kids to school these days. Is it purely down to ease of access for child seats...or is it just "trendy"??
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • motorguy
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Why is it that so many mums want an SUV to take the kids to school these days. Is it purely down to ease of access for child seats...or is it just "trendy"??

I think SUVs and "soft roaders" have taken over from "people carriers" of 10 years ago.

They're seen more as a lifestyle choice rather than "i've given up on life as i have kids and thus need to drive a Zafira"

Theres merit in them - high viewing position, ease of getting kids in and out, room, storage, etc, but the biggest ones are unweldly, hard on fuel and generally not required. Hence the advent of the "soft roader" - has the looks and stance of a full on SUV but without the running cost downsides. Like the Qashqai etc.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suspect a lot of that you're adding in yourself to suit the story.
    You'd be wrong then, try another guess.
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport