Getting ready to install SSD

Options

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Oh Frozen_up_north - my heart is sinking. I'm still trying, with limited success, to soldier on. I'm so grateful to everyone for their interest and help.

As far as I know (no one else has touched it) my original old hard drive is still in it's original state. By returning my laptop to its previous state (swapping drives!) seems so tough after all the great help I have received from everyone (especially Everywhere and grumpycrab). The time involved so far has been huge.

Would all that not be a really retrograde step - and where would the SSD go - ? into my pile of tehnical 'failures' pile - I hope not.

I have extracted the zip folders (the ones I managed to download) and it took me ages to find the files in 'This PC Downloads' - I now need to open them and see what happens - having tried this I am abandoning it for now as I seem to be going round in circles.

It is good of everyone to be interested and offer help, thank you.

Retired at 55
    Fret not , follow the advice given to you about upgrading the laptop SSD to windows 8.1 then when full of the joys of spring for doing that then you can upgrade or not to windows 10. You have decided to follow sound advice thus far , and if others disagree with your choice it is yours.Ignore other ideas that may pop up as to how they would do it follow the plan you have followed thus far and focus on that. If there are problems which may seem insurmountable now then some one will help with each of your current problem, keep your focus and all will be good (hopefully).
    Oh and for what it is worth there may be a chance that your thread will descend to a slanging match between some protagonasts, but keep your focus and don't let them worry you out of what you will surely finish.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I have just tried this one again, poppellerant, (twice) and it definitely failed! Do you think my system will come to any harm without this one?

Retired at 55

Same file here; https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/INTEL/Toshiba-WT310-K-Intel-Graphics-Driver-1018103308-for-Windows-81-64-bit.shtml
    Choose the Softpedia Secure Download given the choice.

Problems with any others?
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Fret not , follow the advice given to you about upgrading the laptop SSD to windows 8.1 then when full of the joys of spring for doing that then you can upgrade or not to windows 10. You have decided to follow sound advice thus far , and if others disagree with your choice it is yours.Ignore other ideas that may pop up as to how they would do it follow the plan you have followed thus far and focus on that. If there are problems which may seem insurmountable now then some one will help with each of your current problem, keep your focus and all will be good (hopefully).
    Oh and for what it is worth there may be a chance that your thread will descend to a slanging match between some protagonasts, but keep your focus and don't let them worry you out of what you will surely finish.

Actually that wasn't my advice. :) I gave free rein to the OP to decide on which OS was the preferred. Windows 8.1 Update was the answer and that is how we have proceeded. Along the way, preparing the machine for a move to Windows 10 for any time in the future.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Actually that wasn't my advice. :) I gave free rein to the OP to decide on which OS was the preferred. Windows 8.1 Update was the answer and that is how we have proceeded. Along the way, preparing the machine for a move to Windows 10 for any time in the future.
    I didn't say that either (must be late where you are)
    then you can upgrade or not to windows 10
    :A
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Retired_at_55
    Retired_at_55 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 July 2018 at 10:15PM
    Options
    You are too modest. Perhaps falsely ;)

You have done yourself proud. Contrary to what the other two have been asserting, who clearly haven't bothered to properly read either of the related threads, you are doing exactly the right thing.
    They haven't even noticed that you have chosen to install Windows 8.1 Update as opposed to Windows 10.
    You can safely take no notice and they should apologise for disrupting your thread.
    On the other hand propellerant made the effort to check the Driver downloads for you.

I appreciate people jumping in and helping whilst I'm away. But they should really follow the thread before posting.

Thanks for your encouragement - no false modesty here and I am definitely not technically adept. Tomorrow (it's nearly 10 pm here) I'll read over propellerant's post again - and your Post # 83 to see about the Driver downloads. All but one (the Display one) are in the folders unzipped and I need to see how to enable the Drivers to do their job.

Tomorrow's another day. You have very generously given this so much of your time, EveryWhere - thank you again.

Retired at 55
  • Retired_at_55
    Retired_at_55 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2018 at 10:28AM
    Options

Thanks very much for replying - I was the one who was very eager to stay with Windows 8.1 and EveryWhere gave me the resource and help to have the future option of Windows 10.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Thanks very much for replying - I was the one who was very eager to stay with Windows 8.1 and EveryWhere gave me the resourse and help to have the future option of Windows 10.
    Yes I know, I have followed your thread before I went to Spain for a break. Don't let it beat you (oh and I "retired" early due to health problems):cool:
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    I didn't say that either (must be late where you are) :A

I was correcting the statement;
    follow the advice given to you about upgrading the laptop SSD to windows 8.1
    then when full of the joys of spring for doing that then you can upgrade or not to windows 10
    wasn't the bit I was correcting.
    Anyway I wasn't arguing about it. :) It wasn't anything serious.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This is not your thread, nor your circumstance. The OP chose 8.1 Update and that is what we are doing.

Next time, peruse the thread before posting, as you are confusing the OP and annoying me.
    Like I said:
    This is how I would install a new SSD drive in a laptop:
    The words "this is how" should tell you what you need to know. The OP hasn't informed me about being confused with my advice.
    Nonsense.

The alternatives were;
    1: To clone the crud that was slowing the machine down in the first place. Not even mentioning that the HDD is five times the size of the SSD.
    2: To use the Toshiba Recovery Media to restore the Original OS; Windows 8.....which would then need to be upgraded to Windows 8.1 Update anyway, which would also entail following the Toshiba Driver instructions. So no quicker and a LOT more Bloatware.
    3: A clean install of Windows 8.1 Update in the first instance.

So which would you choose when advising a novice via a forum?

It's annoying when someone jumps in without reading what has gone before and post what they imagine is the oracle.

Next time, read and digest before posting.
    My advice is as above. Follow your own advice and read the thread. But to just help you along, I would install Windows 10 and use Snappy Driver Installer Origin to install the drivers.

After all, why do things the hard way?

From now on I am just going to pretend that any rude posts you make do not exist in this thread. If you want to address me in a polite and civil manner, then by all means do so and I shall gladly return the gesture.

I shall also offer my own advice, whenever I feel that the OP might need it. This is a public forum, remember?
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement - no false modesty here and I am definitely not technically adept. Tomorrow (it's nearly 10 pm here) I'll read over propellerant's post again - and your Post # 83 to see about the Driver downloads. All but one (the Display one) are in the folders unzipped and I need to see how to enable the Drivers to do their job.

Tomorrow's another day. You have very generously given this so much of your time, EveryWhere - thank you again.

Retired at 55
    If you need any help with Snappy Driver Installer Origin, post here. But basically you download the indexes first, then the drivers for your PC and install them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure