Options

Comments

• Retired_at_55
    Retired_at_55 Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2018 at 11:57AM
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Same file here; https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/INTEL/Toshiba-WT310-K-Intel-Graphics-Driver-1018103308-for-Windows-81-64-bit.shtml
    Choose the Softpedia Secure Download given the choice.

Problems with any others?

I begin with a huge 'thank you' to EveryWhere and all who have helped by posting and encouraging.

Using the link I (at last) downloaded and unzipped then ran (installed) all 9 of EveryWhere's downloads in the order given.

All, eventually, went into My PC downloads in individual plain file folders. I (think) I safely and successfully installed all the files - sometimes being asked to restart my computer and sometimes not.

I checked on 'Windows Updates' and it is saying that I'm up to date.

I'm still wondering about :"..... In 'Devices and Printers' the icon for my W 8.1 laptop yellow triangle with black exclamation mark warning - troubleshoot. - 'Unknown device - no driver' is still there.

[FONT=&quot]'Troubleshoot' continues to say it doesn't have a driver - not fixed. The triangle with the exclamation mark (I both left and right clicked) is on the icon for my Toshiba Notebook PC Model Toshiba PSKF2E in Devices and Printers. I restarted my laptop after all the Drivers were successfully (I hope successfully) installed and 'Unknown device' is still there, as before.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If I am missing something regarding the Drivers installation, please let me know. As I went along I made notes of the numbers and where downloaded etc. - but I'm afraid it doesn't quite make sense to me - just glad they are downloaded, unzipped and installed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Any more advice, help or guidance very much appreciated - what a very, very long haul! Thanks, again,to EveryWhere - all all others who help.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Just logging off - for some lunch (nearly midday) and a short trip out, thank you very much everyone.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Retired at 55
    [/FONT]
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Open your Control Panel and then Device Manager and find out exactly which device has an out of date or has a missing driver. Connect your old hard drive via the caddy, then right click the device in device manager and select Update Driver and browse the old hard drive to search for the driver software.
  • Retired_at_55
    edited 21 July 2018 at 4:03PM
    Options
    Hello everyone - I'm afraid I've been completely side-tracked. After returning home and logging on - I have a foreign language on my computer. I'd like to be light hearted about it - but I'm absolutely confused.

Some things (like this forum) are English and others are like this: http://yandex.ru/. I can truthfully say I don't know how it happened and I am anxious to get back to 'normal' English.

I am posting this from my Dell Refurbished laptop - it seems to be just Firefox with the foreign language on the Toshiba - I'll uninstall it and maybe find out later how it happened.

Retired at 55
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2018 at 4:47PM
    Options
    Like I said:The words "this is how" should tell you what you need to know. The OP hasn't informed me about being confused with my advice.My advice is as above. Follow your own advice and read the thread. But to just help you along, I would install Windows 10 and use Snappy Driver Installer Origin to install the drivers.

After all, why do things the hard way?

From now on I am just going to pretend that any rude posts you make do not exist in this thread. If you want to address me in a polite and civil manner, then by all means do so and I shall gladly return the gesture.

I shall also offer my own advice, whenever I feel that the OP might need it. This is a public forum, remember?

Is there something wrong with you? What part of the OP doesn't want Windows 10 did you not understand?

If you cannot comprehend such a simple matter, perhaps you shouldn't be trying to advise on a Tech forum.

It sad to see when someone is so clearly wrong, but prefers the disrupt the thread rather than to apologise and move on.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I begin with a huge 'thank you' to EveryWhere and all who have helped by posting and encouraging.

Using the link I (at last) downloaded and unzipped then ran (installed) all 9 of EveryWhere's downloads in the order given.

All, eventually, went into My PC downloads in individual plain file folders. I (think) I safely and successfully installed all the files - sometimes being asked to restart my computer and sometimes not.

I checked on 'Windows Updates' and it is saying that I'm up to date.

I'm still wondering about :"..... In 'Devices and Printers' the icon for my W 8.1 laptop yellow triangle with black exclamation mark warning - troubleshoot. - 'Unknown device - no driver' is still there.

[FONT=&quot]'Troubleshoot' continues to say it doesn't have a driver - not fixed. The triangle with the exclamation mark (I both left and right clicked) is on the icon for my Toshiba Notebook PC Model Toshiba PSKF2E in Devices and Printers. I restarted my laptop after all the Drivers were successfully (I hope successfully) installed and 'Unknown device' is still there, as before.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If I am missing something regarding the Drivers installation, please let me know. As I went along I made notes of the numbers and where downloaded etc. - but I'm afraid it doesn't quite make sense to me - just glad they are downloaded, unzipped and installed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Any more advice, help or guidance very much appreciated - what a very, very long haul! Thanks, again,to EveryWhere - all all others who help.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Just logging off - for some lunch (nearly midday) and a short trip out, thank you very much everyone.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Retired at 55
    [/FONT]

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/
  • Retired_at_55
    edited 21 July 2018 at 4:50PM
    Options

I am posting from the Dell refurbished laptop, EveryWhere. I'll go back to my Toshiba, uninstall Firefox to, hopefully, get rid of the foreign language (I must have clicked or done something in error) then I'll use your link, thanks very much.

Edit at 4.50 pm - now logged into Toshiba and uninstalled/reinstalled Firefox - in English. I am just about to use your link, thanks EveryWhere and will post back.

Retired at 55
  • Retired_at_55
    Options
    I downloaded WinZip from the Link and it said 11 drivers were out of date. It offered one (I did not know what to choose) free driver update then details to pay for the other 10.

I can check PC Settings to see if any can be updated from there.

Retired at 55.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is there something wrong with you? What part of the OP doesn't want Windows 10 did you not understand?

If you cannot comprehend such a simple matter, perhaps you shouldn't be trying to advise on a Tech forum.

It sad to see when someone is so clearly wrong, but prefers the disrupt the thread rather than to apologise and move on.
    As you are clearly unable to comprehend the situation, I shall break it down into little bits for you.
    This is how I would install a new SSD drive in a laptop:
    1. Buy a SATA to USB caddy
    2. Backup all your essential data to a USB flash drive and/or to CD/DVD
    3. Download Windows 10 from Microsoft and also copy this to a USB drive and/or DVD drive
    4. Remove existing hard drive from laptop and install into the caddy, then set to one side
    5. Install SSD drive into laptop
    6. Use the Windows 10 installation media to install Windows 10
    7. Use Snappy Driver Installer Origin to quickly and easily install the latest drivers for practically all your hardware
    8. Install your programs, customising each one to avoid bloating the laptop
    9. Restore your data
    10. Enjoy!
    Steps 2 and 3 can be performed while you wait for your caddy to arrive.
    Note these particular words:
    This is how I
    At which point did I insist on the OP installing Windows 10? My post does not insist that the OP only install Windows 10 and nothing else. I was speaking as if it was me in the OP's position.

Comprende?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,859 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I downloaded WinZip from the Link and it said 11 drivers were out of date. It offered one (I did not know what to choose) free driver update then details to pay for the other 10.

I can check PC Settings to see if any can be updated from there.

Retired at 55.
    I believe you may have gone to the wrong link

this was the one https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Retired_at_55
    Options

Thanks very much, debitcardmayhem. That's the link I clicked on and the green download 'bar' took me to WinZip - should I have clicked on something different in the link?

I checked PC settings for Drivers and it said one was advised - I clicked install and that one downloaded directly from Windows.

Retired at 55
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport