NST 07/2018 - Survive July!

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,649
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi plumduff55! That's some challenge you've set yourself. Welcome to the turtles.

Today I am grateful for a fair night's sleep, for dd loving kids klub, for sardines on toast, for dd happily digging up part of the garden and then planting some seeds and doing the labels herself, for finding presents for colleagues from things I already had in or had made, for how good I felt after my workout, for seeing the end of the Tour stage, for a catch up with big sis.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • plumduff55
    plumduff55 Posts: 856
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for the welcome Apple muncher. I'm usually a lurker but when I saw this challenge I just had to join :j

This is NSD 6/20 for me. The two spend days I had were:
    Monday 2nd -
    Tea and cake at Dobbies £4.25.
    Elastoplast and dressing from HB £1.58
    Milk & bread £2
    TOTAL £7.83

Saturday 7th
    Bread, milk & eggs from Tesco £3.19
    TV Choice 57p
    TOTAL £3.76

I didn't buy a tv paper last week and really missed it so it's worth the 57p. I read on another thread a tip about buying blue top milk and diluting it with water to make it last longer. I've never done this before but it's actually ok and I can't tell the difference.

Today I used plain flour and tinned peaches both with best before dates from 2017. Both tasted ok and so far I'm still here to tell the tale :rotfl: I freeze all my flour for a couple of days before storing as my cupboards were infested by weevils a few years ago and NEVER AGAIN !!!

Hoping to keep my purse tightly closed for a few more days xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Lovely day out at the Pontefract liquorice festival. Took out own lunch but had carrot cake and a drink in a cafe (needed toilets) and went in a pub just before coming home - noisy but cool and dark. Just had one soft drink each and then I had a pint of Guiness shandy. This may make me ill tomorrow (it's the lemonade I'm not allowed) but was absolutely delicious.

Bought quite a few things (jam with gin in it for my future d-i-l, sugar free sweets for DS3 and an air ambulance fridge magnet for a helicopter mad 2 yo we know, but mum insisted on reimbursing me every time I spent money. So my spend total is £26 for super healthy salad, yoghurts and food to get me through the next few days (bought from Tosco just before getting on the coach).

Best of all, I got to hold an owl and stroke it. I have a bit of a thing about owls. I have taken down details of sanctuaries where you can interact with birds of prey but they were all too far off the beaten track for me.

Mum and I were sitting with a woman on a bench and her d-i-l came back and said she had had her photo taken with an owl. Mum had already said I could wander round if I wanted (my right arm is still quite painful - think I may need to put it in a sling for support until it strengthens again) so I set off to find the owls.

There were four owls (little, long-eared, barn and huge), a peregrine falcon and think the last one was a hawk, all sitting on perches with water nearby. A couple got a bit agitated, think the crowd noise went up a bit. A small boy was having his photo taken with the barn owl then the woman asked if anyone wanted to hold one of the owls or have a photo taken (they weren't charging but had a donation box for those who wanted to contribute) and I said "Oh yes please".

She sent me over to the far side of the tent, they only had one exit/access point, and was gloved up and then they brought my owl out to me. I talked to him and stroked his head but the man told me they really like having their tummies stroked so I did that. Think I walked about six inches off the ground for ages afterwards.

It was so hot (we did find a bench with some shade and a cool breeze) that I think nearly all our party were waiting when our coach came to collect us (on Liquorice Way facing the harry-bow shop). The driver was supposed to drop us at the racecourse to catch a shuttle bus into town but as we had one wheelchair user, 3 walkers, 2 totally blind people and various partially sighted/ sticks/ crutches etc I think he was justified in bending the rules.

Today I am grateful for a lovely day, sunshine and shade, beautiful owls, less pain and good healthy food.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • swimminginaseaofdebt
    swimminginaseaofdebt Posts: 942
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 July 2018 at 9:25PM
    Evening everyone,

Day 8 update:
    • Remember others - will buy gifts for charity for Christmas - bought razors to add to boy gift (aged 13-16 or 16+)
    • Budgets - £200 food/other spends and £100 social spends - £86.35 food/other spends and £36.49 social spends
    • Use things up - will do! - read a library book
    • Check in every day - will try my best - 7/31
    • Jump - will walk as much as I can - walked to the supermarket and back then to my mums
    • Add to my EF - £10.76 added
    • Continue batch cooking for the little one - made 3 portions of lentil curry
    • Read as many books as possible - 1 book in progress, 1 book completed
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • Hello can I join in please.
    I am planning to have atleast 13 NSD for the rest of the month.
    Budgets have been set and we are on track with all our savings.
    Looking forward to reading all your tips and being inspired. X
    I am now debt free:T - 20/03/18. Whatever your situation - just.keep.going!
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]EF £1000/£1000 goal
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]CHILDCARE Savings goal £600/£600
    EF 3 month goal £2,000/£3,500
    HOUSE DEPOSIT £0/£20,000
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi all :j

Will try for 13 NSDs & hope to get nearer to 20....now 5/13

Set your budgets not yet done
    Use Most definitely want to do this; have a mountain of food & stuff to clear. Have been sorting but it is a big task, not made easier by being unwell for the past few days & find the hot weather difficult especially when unwell. Will record progress on here to call me to account. Must view house as massive shop full of items which can be (mostly) sold. Have already discovered loads of clothes etc than I can either wear or sell. Also have makeup & toiletries, need not buy any of those either..still a bit poorly but managed to wash & iron some clothes & list a few on FB selling sites. One sold straight away but they've not paid yet, if the others don't go I will list on ebay..looks like all 3 people who expressed interest paid up, so 3 items sold..will post them out tomorrow & list more. Posted out 3 items today, plus one for DD. Didn't list any more today, but DH liberated some more boxes from large shed, so have more to trawl through tomorrow. Not actually listed any more but spent a very hot hour this morning in the 'big shed' so called because it's like 2 sheds stuck together. Trawled through quite a few boxes & found more carp to sell, but first it has to be washed. Did 2 wash loads & will start listing tomorrow, as I caught sight of the boxes in the double garage...lots and lots.. Did iron a lot of the clothes; not such a good idea in this heat, was absolutely not the day to do this. no listing either as DD then got up from night shift & wanted to go - you guessed it - shopping...Ironed more stuff today & took photos so can list asap. Just need to pitch the price right so they sell right away on FB selling pages, as otherwise they slip down the listings so fast; now you can't refresh the listing but have to re-post...gah! Finally forced myself to list the items & got in a fluster as people were trying to buy whilst I was still trying to list...aargh!! Still looks like I sold a fair few items, will tot up & add to total tomorrow. Big incentive to list more stuff - of which we have plenty..

Revisit Targets were like other peoples I think, to lose weigh (not really); to declutter - some progress; to stop wasting money - also some progress there..will list any weight losses/stuff leaving the house/money gained by selling...when it happens.. Still £44.26 so far..plus £5 voucher for doing a survey; £49.26 Another £3 voucher today: still £52.26. Have more to add, just need to total up.

Vacation Have already booked to go to Ireland for 3 weeks from July; aim to sell some stuff to pay for spends over there. Will also be planning some days out & at least another visit to the Old Country later in the year, probably 2. Have found more stuff especially shoes to go. Must ramp this up as go away 3 weeks today...clock is ticking..have found many items to take with us and many to sell..started selling & will group items to take together, have made a list.

Value Always do try to use cashback sites where possible, and find value for money in shopping. Also have a card which gives me vouchers; and do some work which pays in vouchers too. Use cheaper supermarkets & have HB & Fultons here as well, which are both good for some stuff. DH & DD went shopping & PO, big mistake as DD brought back 2 extra large chickens she got for only £2.50 each, very pleased with her bargains bless her.....Just what I needed more food to be used right away... Cooked one, need to think of what to do with the other ( no room in freezers) PDQ! DH renegotiated BB deal with Virgin yesterday, they assured him deal would still be available today. Took 45 mins of argument, ask to speak to a manager, etc etc before they agreed to honour it...no wonder folk give up in disgust. Should save us £300 per year..no shopping today of any kind thankfully, value or otherwise..shopping today & stocked up with some things that were on offer..that's my excuse. No shopping today again & ate leftovers, much easier when just the 2 of us involved..

Every Checking in 8/31

Gratitudes: finally seeing some progress in clearing; some fb sales; happy kittens antics; finding long lost items..

Jump No jumping here either but in the garden every day when possible. Do try to drink water but struggle with this. Been in the garden early & tonight, done watering..and a little tidying up.

Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. Nope.

Perhaps keep track on here of items/ lbs lost and £s made:
    So far have put on a pound in weight & made £52.26 - more to come.

Yearly we are halfway through 2018. Good idea, will have a big list of outside jobs that need doing/big/small & in between. Making big list this weekend; also one of items to take to Ireland with us; menu planning; will be a very listy weekend. Did a bit of the Irish list.

hope you soon feel better mothernerd & indigo..

Go turtles!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,809
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 9 July 2018 at 7:01AM
    Today should be NSD5

Painting skirting boards (groundhog day?) and sorting more stuff that was put into boxes as I cleared the other bits of the house and now I am left with cardboard boxes of 'bits of ends of things' and other general nonsense. All the small tat that takes ages and robs your will to continue. So I will do a bit until I lose all motivation and then I can read my book for a while.

Will be glued to the radio all day as the Brexit ministers' resignation repercussions play out. --
    edited to make it simpler as my dodgy multiple plural possessive was annoying me.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 756
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Good morning lovely Turtles

Crazy cat lady sending you big hugs

Today is NSD #4. £90 left in the budget as I needed swim nappies yesterday & I bought a couple of Xmas gifts. Put my name down for a days overtime Friday & I will put all this towards Xmas too. Any extra money now needs to go to ; Xmas , Lapland UK & our car. This is our mission now until December :D I simply cannot do it all in 1 month & I will not get in debt for it: preparation is key !!

Donated a box of crackers to the local food bank when I was in Tesco. I will try & pick something up & put it in every time I go. I know crackers are an odd choice but I know some of the people that use them have young kids & these are my kids favourite snacks & they helped me chose.

Off to play group this morning & later I'm going to take my kids to our local nature reserve.

Have a brill Monday all :)
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Welcome Plumduff, welcome back CCL.

Cycled yesterday and will run today. Did a lot of heavy duty cutting back in the garden yesterday and DH took it to the tip, it looks much lighter but still needs a ot more doing.

Made a thai curry yesterday with tofu and will use the rest of the tofu today in a sweet chilli sauce with rice and stir fry veg. Am going to bake bread today and also a batch of vegan peanut butter and dark chocolate muffins.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,419
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Dolly84, would you be able to share (or share a link to) your vegan peanut butter and dark chocolate muffins please? They sound delicious!

Updated signature with weekend spends, milk bill etc
    Did a bit of weeding and clearing in the garden this morning before it got too hot again. Thinned the apples a bit - too many on young dwarf trees. Netted the blueberries. Picked a bowlful of cherries, a few raspberries and cut a couple of bright red gladioli to brighten up the lounge :)

Hoping for a NSD, which will be easily managed unless OH decides there is something he can't live without!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure