1 credit card or 2?

Options
Hiya, I have 2 credit cards which I have had for a few years now. One since 2014 and one since 2016, both credit builders. The one since 2014 is Vanquis and has a 0 balance, the other one Capital one card which has a balance on, and I use slightly more often. I’m thinking of closing the latter when I have paid it in full, because I feel like essentially the more credit cards I have the more I pay out every month (regardless of whether paid in full or not). Has anyone closed their credit card/s for this reason, and is there really a need to have more than 1? When essentially you are essentially paying more money out having more than 1?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 June 2018 at 8:59PM
    Options
    If you do close 1 make it the Capital One.
    Lenders like to see stability.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yep I did say that!!!8217;s the one I!!!8217;d be closing. What makes you agree?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd aim for three or four, so you have back ups in case of failure and non acceptance, and for the various benefits.

You don't pay more just because you have more than one card.
  • safestored4
    safestored4 Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    I am not one of the experts here on credit cards so won’t comment about the cards you have.

However as a matter of principle I have two, each of which are paid off in full each month. Given the frequency with which bank systems go down or the chance that your account gets hacked and the bank picks this up and freezes the account (which hapened to me with Barclaycard) I think its wise to have a backup for use if necessary.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes regarding the last two comments above, I agree and did think about this. I!!!8217;ll keep them open actually , and continue to use them as I do now. Thank you
  • Sarah7
    Sarah7 Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Those are both starter cards; you could consider trading one up for something with better benefits, e.g. cashback/rewards if you always pay cards off in full, or 0% interest if you don't.
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    as they are starter cards shouldn't you be in a position to 'trade up' to a more mainstream card by now? if not i'd maybe look at some of the other higher rate cards and get a couple more well managed accounts on your file.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you use them as you would use your debit card, you shouldn't pay more.

Minimum of 2 in case of IT issues.

Mainstream lenders may consider you now you've had a subprime card for a while.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Prime lenders wouldn't touch me when I had a vanquis card - when I shut it boom straight onto Barclaycard Platinum.
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pcoventry wrote: »
    Prime lenders wouldn't touch me when I had a vanquis card - when I shut it boom straight onto Barclaycard Platinum.

Wouldn't have anything to do with your Vanquis card, shutting it in this case.

Lenders never see who your accounts are with, and as such it wouldn't of been anything to do with whom you had a credit card with.

I suspect more that you had too much available credit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure