BT price increases September 2018

Options

Comments

• didgemaster
    Options
    I phoned BT and said I was unhappy with the £2.50/mnth price increase. They stated that if I renewed with them for 18 months @ £22.99/month I would avoid the price increase. I also enquired about paying my line rental upfront - This gave me an £18.99 discount for the 12 months. So thanks BT I've gone from £22.99/month to £21.40/month, I'll certainly be looking at paying my line rental upfront again :-)

Forgot to mention this is for fibre 1 @ 50Mb/s
  • treacle_toes_2
    Options
    contacted bt about the price rise haven't gone through the cancelling yet but they offered 18 month contract but if they increase prices again you just cancel its 33.00 for landline fibre broadband upto 76mb anytime calls and bt sports isn't that a good deal or can this be beat ?

That's £2.49 a month cheaper than the deal I got with BT (same package except no BT sports).

Best deal looking at the rest of the thread seems to be £19.99 (superfast bb+line rental only, paid monthly). How much are they charging you for anytime calls and BT sports?
  • older_wiser
    older_wiser Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's £2.49 a month cheaper than the deal I got with BT (same package except no BT sports).

Best deal looking at the rest of the thread seems to be £19.99 (superfast bb+line rental only, paid monthly). How much are they charging you for anytime calls and BT sports?

not sure yet as that was the total amount i didn't ask how much individual items were probably a mistake on my behalf. i'll get back to them and ask for a breakdown but that means its £15.00 for both bt sports and anytime calls.

Anytime calls is £9.00 standard and i don't think they can discount that too much its the BB and linerental prices they can give the most discount for customers or thats my understanding.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No discounts on Line Rental its the BB price they cut .
    Standard 10% by paying advanced line rental .
    Sports TV HD all can be offered at a price .
    Price discount may be a 24 month contract for add on stuff .
  • Al_Ross
    Al_Ross Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anone else not yet received a price rise notification?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Al_Ross wrote: »

I only received mine yesterday. The rises take effect from 16th September so I suppose they have until 16th Auguest to inform you, as they have to give 30 days notice.

It may be worth giving them a call tomorrow or Tuesday though if you still haven't had the email.
  • mpet
    mpet Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just had an online chat with BT as I have not yet received my notification. I was told it would be received by 15th August. I asked her to check what the increase would be (£2.50), but confirmed I would have to wait until I received the official notification before I could cancel without ETC.

It at least gives me time to check out what’s on offer from other providers, so I am fully armed when I speak to BT!
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 July 2018 at 6:52PM
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    I think Ofcom rules state that the ISP must inform you of the price rise and give you the opportunity to inform them you want to cancel .
    Swapping providers off your own bat is not advised as many have been charged for breaking a valid contract .
    Posts on this subject going back three years or so .
    Phoning is the best policy to avoid problems.

But... Should you really have to phone if you are swapping to another ADSL/fibre provider(I'm excluding Virgin cable here)?

Why do BT think its ok to try and charge people cancellations fees in the 30 day window where you can leave penalty free? They sent an email/letter telling you, its not as if they don't know!

Should they not be fined for this behaviour? It has now happened for the last 3 or 4 price rises. They must have a way of blanket blocking those emails for the affected customers for 30 days.

I would argue that the only reason they ask you to call is to harass you in to staying, the whole reason OFCOM brought in 'gaining provider' transfers to avoid this harassment.

This is a paragraph from OFCOM on this subject:

We recognise that some end-users contacting CPs(communications providers) about ending their services will have chosen to do so in order to have a conversation about any offers or options available to them and to take advantage of any discounts that the CP might provide as a result of those conversations.
    This can be beneficial to the consumers concerned, and we are not seeking to prevent these conversations for those end-users who wish to have them. However, we are also aware that other end-users want to terminate their services without having these conversations and in those circumstances prolonged retention activity may act as a disincentive(to leave). CPs should consider the needs of these end-users within their conditions and procedures to ensure that they do not act as a disincentive against changing CP.
  • hawkwind
    hawkwind Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Al_Ross wrote: »

I have yet to receive an email.
  • Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    contacted bt about the price rise haven't gone through the cancelling yet but they offered 18 month contract but if they increase prices again you just cancel its 33.00 for landline fibre broadband upto 76mb anytime calls and bt sports isn't that a good deal or can this be beat ?

Does this include line rental, have not had my email yet but at moment am paying around £49 a month for Fibre 1 anytime calls and BT sports, the sport I can cancel this september and brings it down to £39.....but your price sounds pretty good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure