Prepping for Brexit thread - Page 348

New Post Advanced Search

Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 485.9K views

Replies

• DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A dehydrator is a dashed useful too for converting a glut into stored food. It doesn't work for Everything but it's handy. Also you can get downright picky about your apple rings, mango chips & beef jerky...Which when you see how much the latter two sell for - it is nice to have a device that turns YS meat & fruit into expensive treats!

• boultdjboultdj Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strawberry crisps are my go to snack, oooo! not tried drying mango yet..... I see experiments in food drying in my future.
    Grocery Challenge
    August £300/ £23.39
    July £350/ £332.76
    2020 club
  • boazuboazu Forumite
    245 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    For anyone who is wanting quantities of vinegar for pickling and chutneys this coming autumn Amazon have 2 x 5 litres of malt vinegar for £11.99 and mine should arrive early next week.  The largest I've been able to find available in the supermarkets have been 1 pint bottles.  I also managed to get 3kg of dark brown sugar from Amazon too which is another thing that's been impossible to source from the beginning of lock down and I need it for making brown sauce to see us through the colder months.  Ketchups have been available in the shops but brown sauce has been less so.  
  • Hard_Up_HesterHard_Up_Hester Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's Worcester sauce I can't find anywhere, all the other seem to be in abundance.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Mrs_Salad_DodgerMrs_Salad_Dodger Forumite
    2.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's Worcester sauce I can't find anywhere, all the other seem to be in abundance.

Me too, Hard_Up_Hester. The name brand L&P is nowhere to be seen. However DH did manage to get a couple of small bottles of MrS own brand & he has picked up a Henderson’s Relish - looks similar.  HTH
  • edited 4 July at 3:50PM
    bouicca21bouicca21 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 July at 3:50PM
    I'm a bit late to this particular party but the combination of COVID and BREXIT make me think that stocking up is a good idea. I do keep a well stocked stroe cupboard anyway.

I don't grow my own so, apart from filling the freezer, I am concentrating on canned and dried goods.  So far my list includes:
    pasta
    canned tomatoes/passata
    canned tuna
    canned kidney beans
    lentils (green and red)
    toothpaste
    everyday sauces
    maybe some jam
    dried milk
    toilet rolls/paper tissues/kitchen roll
    What else should I add?