PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    Options
    I was all set for a trip to Farmfoods, had the cool bag ready, then discovered it was an Iceland. Dash. Will have to plan more carefully, With A Map, next time.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Haven't been able to source tinned tomatoes at 25p a tin for a while around here. I thought tescos had some at 25p a tin, but when I went, they didn't have any in stock (not surprising). 28p seems to be the lowest round here now. No doubt it'll jump up during brexit, and never fall back down.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Asian grocers round here quite often have tomatoes at 4 tins for£1, might be worth looking there
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Here's a nice little photo story from the BBC that some of you might appreciate:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-49715638

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Lovely pics unrecordings! Thanks for the link. The size of the onions in one of the pictures was impressive! lol

It's also interesting to see how many of the men in those photos were either smoking, or had a pipe in hand whilst working the garden! lol. A different era!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was all set for a trip to Farmfoods, had the cool bag ready, then discovered it was an Iceland. Dash. Will have to plan more carefully, With A Map, next time.
    Ice'y just about within range for me, although outside sense without a cool bag (it is on my list eventually) about 30 minutes approx.

FFoods, hmm. Choice of two. The larger one I have been in years past is too far (would take a good hour at minimum to get there or two buses!) , the slightly local one about 40 minutes I think, or one expensive bus. But that one is a smaller one apparently.

Map ? ;) Nah. Be fine without. Either of the places you mention usually has a nice selection of goodies :D
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 September 2019 at 12:43PM
    Options
    I too loved the war garden pictures. Bought back childhood memories and the onions were a splendid size. I know onions were as rare as gold dust during the war because most of them were imported so that gardener must have been sitting on a goldmine ! I'Ve never been able to grow onions which reached that size.

What a shame that so few people today grow any of their own food. No wonder children have no idea how the basic food in their table is grown and sourced and end up believing that milk originates from Sainsbury's and not from cows !
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    I was about to post that link! Just wow - so little space wasted & Everyone doing their bit. (I recall chaps crooning to their runner beans, pipe in hand - I think it was held that the pipe dottle would be made into a sort of insect repellent tea & applied to young plants. Hardly Bordeau mix but they were happy to try anything versus egg laying young insect greenery munching pests.)

Reminded me of Estonia decades ago where even the Lady Mayoress was digging spuds (it was the right time, the weather was cooperative, most of the womenfolk were out there & tourist me was briskly pressed into use by Godmother, since as she cheerfully observed "everyone's here & you don't need vocab to dig!" We went on long forest walks - Always with a mushroom basket, and I boggled that meat was more expensive than amber. "Of course," shrugged my godmother "you can't eat amber". I came home with my bag mostly emptied (I'd taken ham and soap and cutlery and other odds & bits requested) & so had space for a full (Russian) tea set, which survived despite baggage handling & a set of proper Estonian teaspoons. She unwillingly approved the Russian teaset - it was handsome (but Russian) & oversaw the careful selection of teaspoons.
    When I went back on honeymoon, Estonia was about to be part of Europe, had a clock to the millennium counting down slap in the town square of Old Town, but the shop still sold swiss army knives with all the gardening blades & accoutrements, so my husband & I were able to thank the Gardening Aunts who'd done our flowers in style. Not least as it all cost a quarter of what it did in the UK, neat leather carrying cases & all. Two cousins still have them, tied to the trug. The third is somewhere in Nova Scotia, likely also still in service.

Somehow an old tool not only does the job as well or better than a modern copy, but encourages you.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    Haven't been able to source tinned tomatoes at 25p a tin for a while around here. I thought tescos had some at 25p a tin, but when I went, they didn't have any in stock (not surprising). 28p seems to be the lowest round here now. No doubt it'll jump up during brexit, and never fall back down.

What size tins?
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    What size tins?

T's have some 400g ones for 28p from a brand I've not heard of, seems to range from that up to about 60p for the same tin size depending on chopped/brand etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback