PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• DryTheRain
    DryTheRain Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 September 2019 at 6:56PM
    Options
    D&DD wrote:
    Just a heads up for those with problems accessing stores sometimes. I have Amazon Prime and around here at least the Prime Now delivers within two hours from our local Morrisons or Amazon depending on what you order..
    I've scored some absolute bargains on all sorts of things on there,delivered to the door so no petrol cost (free delivery on £40+ orders) They have all the deals currently on in store so is handy of you can't get there for whatever reason..

Oooh that's a good idea thank you. I have some reservations about amazon, but like the hook up with Morrisons.. and there's nothing to lose getting a few top up deliveries on the free trial eh :-). The 70p tinned spinach is very good btw, no way they'e taking my five a day!
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »
    Donkey's years back (as in mid 80's) I recall grandmother had one of these for shopping. I do see them occasionally now, a more 'up to date' version of the same. :) From what I can remember 'back then' she used hers until it completely fell to bits, it must of been a 60's item originally I think. Certainly it was 'always around'

I did consider getting one when things permit although if it was in any way practical I'd prefer one that could be folded up and perhaps "backpacked" when empty to save dragging an empty 'thing' about. Then there's a possibility of putting some 'cool bag' inside it perhaps so frozen goodies can safely survive a good hours journey ? Hmm.

I picked mine up for a few pound in the charity shop. It is very basic though. I know Lidl were selling some recently, but don't know if they fold or anything.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    I picked mine up for a few pound in the charity shop. It is very basic though. I know Lidl were selling some recently, but don't know if they fold or anything.

I could be wrong but the new 'posh' ones look a bit like these airport type suitcases with wheels, I've not really looked at one of those either!

I remember gran's one was a very simple thing indeed, vertical square 'container' about the size roughly of those old 'top loading' video recorders (not good at estimating sizes in figures sorry!) , this was made of some kind of nice chequered patterned thick nylon type material with a loose flap lid (no zip!), said 'container' was sat on a two wheel trolley frame with a handle. That was about it. When the bag eventually wore out the whole thing got binned as I seem to remember the 'bag' was somehow part of the frame.

Pretty sure she got 15-20 years worth of use out of it though. No doubt when it was new it would of been a 'good' model.

The charity shop is a very good option actually, not something I'd thought of. Come to think of it, I'm not aware of where the nearest charity shop is now, there are none locally only usual array of corner shops+second hand applicance/furniture shop and a few other things.

If I do happen to get near said charity shop I will make sure I look in. :)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :)Andy, shopping trollies are excellent and I wouldn't want to be without mine, it's used every week. I do see fellers around with them as well, so you needn't be shy.

They're widely available new at £15 including on the markets. They won't be of the finest quality for that price, but should give several years' service. They do turn up in chazzers from time to time.

Good makes are S h o l l e y and P r e s t i g e but the creme de la creme is R o l s e r. If you see one of those going anywhere under £20, gouge someone in the ribs to get at it; I know someone who got one in a chazzer for £15 as-new and I am well jell.

For very serious load-carrying, you really want a 4 wheeler, and the ones with the double-wheel at the front, like baby buggies, are the best. Not often found used, due to being worn to death by owners, but they might turn up, I got a 4 wheeler S ----y for the mothership for £4 at a bootsale.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • AndyCF
    Options
    Thanks @GrayQueen :)

I'd not be worried about what anyone thought of me with said item, I've never been much concerned about what anyone thinks of my appearance or anything else 'visual' really (this might explain a bit) :o:)

I'll have to keep an eye out to see. Something "lined" or suchlike would be handy as if I'm going to use it for distance then I need something to keep frozen goodies frozen. Slightly paranoid about things that I know -are- perfectly frozen solid still but have started to 'show warm signs' on the outer box area. Just me. :o

I have seen the 4-wheelers I think, they look fractionally like those 'allotment or large garden' plant pot movers you see ? Not quite like the huge 'garden centre trolley' affair, more a 1.5ft x 0.5ft 'area' roughly, with small 3 inch or so wheels. Bad description but I know what you mean.
  • DryTheRain
    DryTheRain Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 September 2019 at 8:24AM
    Options
    There are quite a few on ebay, 50 odd UK results for "shopping bag on wheels" with basic chinese ones from about a fiver. Or if you don't mind a few 'send us a postcard' comments, how about using a wheelie suitcase in the meantime?
  • AndyCF
    Options
    DryTheRain wrote: »
    There are quite a few on ebay, 50 odd UK results for "shopping bag on wheels" with basic chinese ones from about a fiver. Or if you don't mind a few 'send us a postcard' comments, how about using a wheelie suitcase in the meantime?

:) I'd probably get one from there given it would be the cheapest option if 'new'

The suitcase, well I don't have one apart from one that is about 40 years old! :D needless to say its wheel-free.

Possibly the cost of a used or new cheap suitcase on wheels would be similar to the cost of the correct item. :)
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    I have only 2 concerns about trolleys.
    The first is purely musculo-skeletal - do you push these things with two hands in front or drag with one hand behind? As that latter is almost as evil for backache etc as a heavy school bag or wearing a rucksack just over one shoulder. (Ex schoolgirl & lapsed cellist & my spinal X rays show it.)

The other is just how many people realise - 'potentially laden with useful stuff, so target'? Or are they the next best thing to grey hair as a cloak of invisibility - person with trolley must therefore be Old, no further interest?

I was in Go Outdoors recently & saw what I thought was a wheelbarrow on steroids - turns out it's a "fisherman's trolley" - well, a couple of saplings & some rope & you could hitch a pony to it, or fold it out & lay a mattress on it. Made my old radio flyer look like the child's toy it was.

I think I will stick to rucksacks on offspring for as long as I can, then return to the Silver Cross. Miword those things are load carriers. Perhaps not as pretty or as padded as Mamas & Papas, but when confronted with 40 kilos of 'hobby metalwork', the pushchair just couldn't handle the weight. My husband had to try to keep a straight face as I grouched "we should have got a Silver Cross" - well he was trying to bring a semi-armoured deactivated sub-machine gun home. We were the embarrassingly wholly true tall tale of Christmas for several households that year.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Two wheelers you drag behind. I don't find it hurts my back. In fact I think the pull may help my bone density which is good as it's quite hard to find any resistance or load bearing exercise for the lumbar spine as opposed to the hip where you can build bone density just by brisk walking
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • AndyCF
    Options
    The one gran had, I recall she pushed it in front of her - but it was many years ago now! :) It would work either way I suppose. I think I'd probably 'drag it along' though as its slightly easier if it catches a rut/bump/pebble in the pavement etc.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback