PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    I've enquired at our surgery and they just say "Ask again in early October". :(
    Exactly what ours said last week

Not sure on the situation but if you can (and want to) you could possibly see if the local larger supermarkets the ones with in 'in-house' pharmacy or the local larger pharmacy offer them, I realise this means paying for it though :( , it is only a thought.
    euronorris wrote: »
    Luckily, my employer will reimburse for a private flu shot. I haven't bothered in previous years as the efficacy is so low, and I work in a small office and not client facing. But this year, DD is now at nursery (so higher chance of her being exposed, and therefore us), and our office is merging with two others (and will now be in a building with multiple other companies) sometime in october, increasing my potential exposure again. So it's probably best to get jabbed this year.

That's quite good they will pay. Then again it is probably in their interests too, as the relatively small outlay (if they are bulk buying them for dozens of people they will not pay a lot 'per jab') :) , as the time taken off if someone gets it bad etc.

On a different note all together, although I do -not- anticipate anything like power cuts etc etc , those with a gas hob and an electric kettle might like to invest in a small "stove top kettle" which is a bit more convenient than boiling a pan perhaps ? Does not have to be nice one either, a 2 pint (or less!) 'camping' type one for say £3 to £5 would be absoletely more than sufficient.

Unless said gas hob is one of the 'all singing all dancing' electronic ones that will not work without electricity at all (not counting manual lighting) , have seen on that has electronic controls = no electric = no way to use it!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Always a good idea to have alternative arrangements for power cuts especially now we seem to have such a high proportion of our generation coming from renewables. When you get very cold weather it's quite often very still as well so not much wind generation. However I'm not aware that Brexit per se would increase the risk of power cuts. But I suppose any additional disruption from Brexit at the time of a power cut would generally add to the misery
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • unrecordings
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Whilst I'm sceptical about early predictions of another Beast from the East

Yep, bloody scaremongering, I just googled a couple of examples while trying to avoid the 'local rag' blatant clickbait. Behind the The Independent headline, 'temperatures could be as low as half a degree colder than the 1981-2010 average'

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • IF you're prepared in the first place an awful lot of the 'understandable fear' is removed from your life. Be it Brexit, the beast from the east, a lack of oil on the market affecting petrol prices, power cuts for any of a number of reasons or civil disobedience or anything else. If you as an individual do everything in your ability to mitigate adverse effects and that includes taking advantage of the protection of vaccinations whenever they are offered then you are surely in a better and more positive position than if you leave things to chance. I think we all have a personal and familial responsibility to make sure we do ALL we possibly can to put ourselves in the most prepared condition we can before a predicted event happens. That's just my thinking on it as I would rather be regarded as an oddity and be a prepper than leave life to random 'they will sort it out, I don't need to do anything' uncertainty.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    AndyCF wrote: »
    Unless said gas hob is one of the 'all singing all dancing' electronic ones that will not work without electricity at all (not counting manual lighting) , have seen on that has electronic controls = no electric = no way to use it!

Two of my tenets for life: Proper gas cooker & a toilet that works purely by gravity & simple mechanics (access to the means to make fire kind of goes without saying)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options

That's quite good they will pay. Then again it is probably in their interests too, as the relatively small outlay (if they are bulk buying them for dozens of people they will not pay a lot 'per jab') :) , as the time taken off if someone gets it bad etc.

Many employers will now reimburse for a jab through expenses. Like you say, £9-12 for a private flu shot, per employee, is a damn sight cheaper than having to pay sick leave for them (plus the cost of work not done and deadlines not met etc).

To be honest, the benefit to the employer is vast. If they don't offer it as standard, it would be worth asking and putting the case forward to them. It shouldn't be hard to convince most employers of the potential benefit to them.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Two of my tenets for life: Proper gas cooker & a toilet that works purely by gravity & simple mechanics (access to the means to make fire kind of goes without saying)
    :) Well put.
    euronorris wrote: »
    Many employers will now reimburse for a jab through expenses. Like you say, £9-12 for a private flu shot, per employee, is a damn sight cheaper than having to pay sick leave for them (plus the cost of work not done and deadlines not met etc).

To be honest, the benefit to the employer is vast. If they don't offer it as standard, it would be worth asking and putting the case forward to them. It shouldn't be hard to convince most employers of the potential benefit to them.

Unfortunately some do not see it that way, especially those that do not offer sick pay (it may of changed as I was self employed lastly) in that they would rather "take the chance" of people being off as they did not ahve to pay them (much? or at all?) vs paying out for a jab for those who wanted it. This was a large-ish company too, franchise but well known. Not food related I should say though.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Re: the pneumonia jab. If you think you qualify get it ASAP.

It was on respiratory consultant's wishes that my GP surgery give the jab in January. My surgery had used up all it's stock before the turn of year and didn't get any more until the following September. It was a very worrying time as I had a problem with recurring pneumonia. I'm touching wood as I type but it's now two years since I had my jab and no pneumonia after contracting it 3 times in one year.

It's a life saver, literally.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 September 2019 at 10:37AM
    Options
    My local pharmacy told me they were getting flu jab stock in this week when I picked up last month's meds - I'll call & see how supplies are looking & check what the rules are for those already with a cold, then see about whisking poorly husband down for a bonus dose of bugs and getting mine as carer.
    Since he's here, I may also take (& pay for) eldest as after the last seizure he walloped his ribs hard enough to hurt but not break & is on the Don't Cough list for a month. Rather a sideways un-birthday present but peace of mind is priceless.

Or depends on where you go & if they have stocks
    asda (if doing yet) £7
    boots 12.99
    lloyds 11.50
    superdrug 9.99
    tesco selected pharmacies £9
    well £10

Just checked - they'd rather not jab you if you currently have a cold. The jab is Less Effective - "come back next week?".
    Also from arrival to jab is about 15 minutes as the dose is stored in the fridge & needs time to come to nearer body temperature before being installed.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options

Unfortunately some do not see it that way, especially those that do not offer sick pay (it may of changed as I was self employed lastly) in that they would rather "take the chance" of people being off as they did not ahve to pay them (much? or at all?) vs paying out for a jab for those who wanted it. This was a large-ish company too, franchise but well known. Not food related I should say though.

I know. Sadly, there will always be employers who aren't great (for many reasons, this just being one), but I do think that a large number of them could see the logic in paying for it.

My company pays sick leave at 'it's discretion'. Which loosely translates into, 'we'll pay you if it's genuine, but if have Fridays and Mondays off on the regular, we'll obviously revert to SSP'.

So, I've always received full pay, but have had a couple of colleagues who have had what was deemed to be excessive amounts of time off (and not for long term illnesses or conditions, just lots of colds that did have a pattern to them). After a certain number of days off, they were told that all future days off in that business year would be paid at SSP.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure