PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    Oh deary me Grunnie, chocolate keeps forever well done on common sense prevailing!

Not always; I was given a box of a well known brand of Belgian chocolates as a gift that were visibly "off", with the milk chocolate having become cloudy-looking. They really weren't edible, which was very upsetting as I love Belgian chocs.

In other date news, we ate a meal with pearl barley (BB 2014) and my partner enjoyed some Veggie-Mite (BB 2006) recently.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    I was given a box of a well known brand of Belgian chocolates as a gift that were visibly "off", with the milk chocolate having become cloudy-looking. They really weren't edible, which was very upsetting as I love Belgian chocs.

"Blooming" looks a bit unlovely but as long as it smells OK (I test on a child), then I happily cook with it. Oddly, I get volunteers for the washing up, especially if I've made a "sauce".
  • AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    I know. Sadly, there will always be employers who aren't great (for many reasons, this just being one), but I do think that a large number of them could see the logic in paying for it.
    Unfortunately yes. :)

euronorris wrote: »
    My company pays sick leave at 'it's discretion'. Which loosely translates into, 'we'll pay you if it's genuine, but if have Fridays and Mondays off on the regular, we'll obviously revert to SSP'.
    That is more or less what the last place I was at had as policy. It actually translated into salaried (office staff) workers would get it 100% all the time whereas 'hourly paid' (shop floor) workers would not.

Mind you the office staff were actually paid quite well even the new younger 'trainees' (compared to other places) and would have a regular 9-5 Mon-Fri patten + get all bank holidays off etc but the "shop floors" were not that great, think minwage + anything between 25p to £2 on top of that.

I think it was just general company attitude perhaps unfortunately, cannot fathom another reason!

It was not dependent on pay grade/sum either, if you were a 'manual worker' as such even those with a shedload of qualifications and skills (this was -not- factory work btw, it was something that you had to have a few years training to do!) , you did not get it except in very exceptional (accident at work etc) circumstances.

I can say this with complete honesty (from what I can remember that is) as I was there for over a decade...
    My local pharmacy told me they were getting flu jab stock in this week when I picked up last month's meds
    I'll have to pay for mine. Local pharmacy does not do them unfortunately. Asked at another reasonably nearby one and they did not either! Oh well.

Its a shame the local docs surgery cannot accept payment for one (I have asked previously, she said its a common query!) the same way local larger supermarkets with an 'in house pharmacy' offer it. I think its a case of not being 'set-up' to deal with it. Mind you if you need docs reports (paid) they can deal with those so I'm not quite 100% sure on the logic. :)

Next week or week after for me anyway for this. By that point it will be ideal for a long walk (40 min) to the larger 'S' place and a browse around while I am there getting the jab. Ideal time to grab a treat from their bakery I suppose! :D :T
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all for the heads up on the jabs. Have got an appointment at Docs on Wednesday so I'll ask if flu and Pneu are available & get them done at the same time with a bit of luck.
    We've kept a camping gas fire that is incredibly efficient for Justin for years, we've also got a nice cast gas burner and a stove top kettle so I think I'll get stocked up with some casserole type dinners that we can heat through on the wood burner if push comes to shove. Must make sure we have propane/camping gas stocks too.
    Boat comes out of the water mid October & there's a small 2 burner cooker with oven and grill if I really get deperate!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • AndyCF
    Options
    One random thing I probably should of mentioned about the 'stove top' type kettles, although its so obvious it can be easily overlooked (I know I did!)

If you cannot see one in a regular isle with the pots/pans etc as its less likely to be with the electrical items simply as its not electric ;)

Take a look at any of their 'outdoor/lifestyle/camping' (insert suitable words to replace those!) isles if they have such things. It is highly possible said 'stove top' kettles can be found here possibly as camping kettle or something like that.

The advantage is if you do not mind a small one (assuming its only going to be odd use perhaps or low use) , then it may well also be a lot cheaper than a larger one in the normal 'pots/pans/kitchenware' isle.

:)

I've probably over explained that! Sorry. :o , I guess I should of just said "ignore kitchenware isle initially and look at any camping/outdoor items area first' perhaps :T
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Re loos, if you have more than one in the house it can be useful if one of them is mains fed and the other one is fed from the cold water tank. When our tank in the attic sprang a leak and i couldn't get a plumber for a couple of days it was a life saver to have a mains fed loo. But another time, the water outside was cut off while they mended a burst main so we were OK with the tank fed one.

(OK not directly related to Brexit prepping I accept, but someone did mention loos). But on a wider point, preparations for life, the universe and everything boil down to one thing:

Always have a Plan B
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Try charity shops for stove top kettles they're something we get in quite often and we only sell what's in good condition. A decent whistler kettle will cost you £3 or thereabouts.
  • pattypan4
    Options
    I see the oil price is going to rise because of the saudi oil attacks. Serious stuff, everything to do with oil will become more expensive and that includes manufacturing and transport. That isn`t brexit related but iran
  • AndyCF
    Options
    pattypan4 wrote: »
    I see the oil price is going to rise because of the saudi oil attacks. Serious stuff, everything to do with oil will become more expensive and that includes manufacturing and transport. That isn`t brexit related but iran

I think the jury -might- still be out regarding who really did what perhaps. I'm not sure.

Have you noticed though that generally when there's a rise in say crude oil or perhaps gas the price at the pump/meter goes up quite quickly ? But when it drops it takes a while, usually the reasoning being "we have to use up x stock which we paid x more for" , if that -was- true then it means the price should -not- rise now for a while at least.

I'm fractionally reminded here of when I was about 7 maybe 8 certainly no older, possibly younger, I can recall chips in the local decent (when it was) chipshop were 16p. They seemed to have been at that price for what seemed at my age then 'forever' hehe. This was in the days when it was quite safe to venture out! After that potato thing in the early 80's prices doubled or tripled. However potato costs eventually (if I'm correct) dropped again once supply=demand etc, however chippies never dropped their prices.

Similar could be said for when decimal currency came in, before my time however I remember being told that in general "wages were rounded down" , "shop prices were rounded up" , "banks rounded accounts down" , I'm going to assume they rounded not to the nearest halfpence either, likely to the nearest pence or tuppence. Small but it all adds up no doubt.

All just plain greed unfortunately perhaps. :)

I try not to look into or think about it too much as there's so much that could be said , but getting anything done or changed would be an entirely different matter. :cool:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p In the late nineties, bog-standard own brand tinned tomatoes were 7p a can and had been that price for yonks. There was a reportedly poor tomato harvest and the price leapt, in a couple of jumps, to 15p a can then stealthily up to the present 25p a can as your best bet.

Prices tend to go up because of shortages and stay up there because the sellers realise the market will bear it.

For a couple of generations, my family used to buy their spuds from a local farmer who brought them to the door. His own crop, stored on his own farm, brought in his own truck, no wholesaler or middleman taking a cut.

One year, the harvest was reported poor and he jacked his prices up £2 a sack between one visit and another because everyone else was doing it. I was cross enough to want to tell him to keep 'em and I'll eat rice and pasta, but the 'rents stumped up. Prices eventually evened out but a degree of trust and friendliness which had been 30+ years in the making was never recovered and that part of the farm business folded.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family