PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• AndyCF
    AndyCF Posts: 748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's a good point for those who require one. :) I used to qualify as a carer (although it took them two years to tell me as I did not know this!) , I was just going and paying for one until the district nurse one year asked me if I'd had mine and I said no I'm off to get it next week and she said I qualify to have one ( ! ) given my role, so I got it there and then from her.

More recently I asked about it as due to health things at the time it was suggested I might qualify but I did not. I did not mind paying for it as it was easier to go to the surgery than the major pharmacy or supermarket as local pharmacy does not do them.

I've not read up on it but about a month or two ago on what passes these days for "teletext" (yes I know) there was a comment about it being delayed this year not due to Brexit directly but something to do with them not knowing what 'blend' (for want of a better word I forget the wording now) they would require this season as such.

I'll see about going to the Supermarket for mine in a couple of weeks then. Usually I get a 'dead arm' feeling but no other issues.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Timing is key for me (chemo & all that jazz), but the under 65 jab isn't available here yet. I've chemo next week, so I can see about getting booked in at the appropriate time. Last year was the first time I had it because a couple of years earlier some numpty in the NHS told me I'd just get the flu if I had the jab with my weakened immune system (I wouldn't - the flu jab isn't a live virus)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Got mine today and the pneumonia jab as I have just turned 65. The surgery was heaving but it all worked very well. One jab in each arm, now sitting here with two very sore shoulders
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I got double-jabbed for flu and pneumonia a few years ago at the GP surgery, so was on the unexpected two-sore-shoulders thingy too.

Last year, when I tried to book myself onto a GP flu clinic, I was told that the Govt had removed my pre-existing condition from the list (I am under 65). I got a jab via my employer in the end.

Earlier this month, I asked if I would be eligible this year and the GP receptionist said to check back later, they'd not yet been sent their directives for eligbility for 2019.

I did actually get flu in Jan this year and was knocked off my feet for a week and was poorly for 3 weeks in total. Don't know if it was a flu-flavour not included in the jab, or the jab didn't take, or if I would have had a much worse flu experience without the jab. You can only do your best with the info and resources available.

Although the Govt seems to be swithering about my condition's eligibility, my hospital consultant wants me to have it as they say, with some asperity, if I end up in the hospital with flu (which could happen, apparently) it'll be a damned sight more expensive than giving me a flu jab!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've enquired at our surgery and they just say "Ask again in early October". :(
  • unrecordings
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    I've enquired at our surgery and they just say "Ask again in early October". :(

Exactly what ours said last week

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Luckily, my employer will reimburse for a private flu shot. I haven't bothered in previous years as the efficacy is so low, and I work in a small office and not client facing. But this year, DD is now at nursery (so higher chance of her being exposed, and therefore us), and our office is merging with two others (and will now be in a building with multiple other companies) sometime in october, increasing my potential exposure again. So it's probably best to get jabbed this year.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • DryTheRain
    Options
    Exactly what ours said last week

I only got mine early by chance*. I went into the chemist because I'd chipped a nail and wanted some varnish remover, and while I was at the counter I remembered the article and thought no harm in asking.

So I'm sure there won't be any issue with initial supply of vaccines, but if you're particularly concerned or have timing issues (like chemo) then it might be worth ringing round local pharmacies and seeing what your options are there. They tend to be a bit politer too :-p

For my own part, I hesitated because I've never seen so many mobility shops, scooters and short legged dogs in one place - ie obviously vulnerable population - but my local surgery is a £10 taxi round trip so I'd have been daft not to have got it done.

But it's good that we're discussing it and sharing experiences here. This thread has had an awful lot of views, so if it prompts people to get themselves or a friend/relative sorted, share a lift maybe, then it's all to the general good, regardless of what happens politically :T

*Only it's not really chance. I have hundreds of pages of favourites - legislation, select committees, FOIs, CPS guidelines, news articles - a significant resource I can pull information from instantly.

And now, unfortunately, I have similarly large files on Brexit. Although it reassures me (sort of) I feel it represents a profound failure of government, a basic duty of care, for individual citizens to need this level of knowledge, or to be even considering stockpiling basic food and medicines.

As for Johnson and his chances of bluffing away centuries of Irish history, I seriously doubt it. How can someone who can't/won't say how many children he has be trusted? I don't like the gambling references either, this is supposed to be a serious negotiation not a ha ha I win EU lose poker game. Unbeleaveable.

As a left leaning/remain voter I'd have accepted an orderly withdrawal, which respected the close run nature of the vote, including the remain majority in Scotland and NI. Something that could've genuinely reconciled the two sides, a concession here, a concession there. Moving forward with our friends and neighbours, so near and yet so far away right now.

We can't be sure how things will pan out, but I reckon we can help nudge people in positive directions, whether it's a flu jab or getting a few extra tins or packets in just in case just for fun. I've found a good way is to mention a good deal on something that person X likes, ie 4 x Lavazza £11.99 (amazon) laugh and say 'might be useful if the brexit hits the fan'.. just introduce the idea gently.

That'd be my advice anyway - speaking as a viral twitter campaigner, embarasser of my least favourite PM and parliamentary intern during the Maastricht debates. I'm no expert, but I've a good sense of how easy it is, frighteningly easy in fact, to promote a given cause.

I was confident I was campaigning for a good one (health and disability issues) but I was hyper aware that if I'd cracked it, other people definitely had too and that it could be potentially harmful (check Netflix doc The Great Hack for more, it's literally weapons grade scary).

Of course that doesn't mean my opinion's better than anyone else's, and I'm posting in a purely personal capacity, no energy for essay crisis campaigning anymore. I'm not very good at chatting on forums either, but hey there's lots of great stuff to learn on here and if I can chuck the odd useful nugget in I'm happy :beer:
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst I'm sceptical about early predictions of another Beast from the East, if it does transpire, it would amplify the effects of any flu epidemic with already stretched NHS staff finding it difficult to get to work etc.

it makes sense to try and minimise any identifiable risks where one can do so easily and having the flu jab was very easy
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • unrecordings
    Options
    DryTheRain wrote: »
    So I'm sure there won't be any issue with initial supply of vaccines, but if you're particularly concerned or have timing issues (like chemo) then it might be worth ringing round local pharmacies and seeing what your options are there. They tend to be a bit politer too :-p
    Thanks - The timing is purely down to me. Ideal time is just towards the end of a chemo cycle when my immune system is at its best so the vaccine is likely to be the most effective (but not ineffective if I have no choice in timing). I note last year I had it at the end of October and as I'm on the chemo I'm a priority customer for the under 65 jab. I'm not worried...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback