PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck Andy :)

I suppose people are wanting to have a stock of the oval paracetamol because the round ones are so hard to swallow!
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Right now, I'm finding the round ones easier to crumble into rubble & swallow. Slightly depends of time of day alertness/dexterity & just how fast I want out from under the owch of this cough. (Oh & hurrah Chicken bovril soup.)

Seems there Are three blinking Brexit birds:
    Yellowhammer is the codename used by the Treasury for contingency planning for a no-deal Brexit.
    Kingfisher is an emergency support package from the Treasury for British businesses hard hit by Brexit.
    Black Swan refers to the worst-case-scenario planning. Black swan events are those that come as a surprise and have huge repercussions.

If you believe the Times, of course. Ever trusting, I note this bit Wasn't behind their usual paywall.

M'neighbours had chickens & a very loud cockerel. Then moved. I'm wondering (as you do, in the small hours) Just How Loud are chickens? I'd love a pig, but you have to be licensed (well, your address) so they can track animal movement for disease control. Just I think we would struggle to devour the breakfast bacon when you know it was Peppa, and miss the contented grunt when you scratched the right bit.
    Plus, if there's allotment watching, how much worse to have the family pet disappear. I have not learned my grandmother's pragmatism...
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    so very many abandoned glasshouse complexes that have been left to deteriorate and grow wild because the low price of imports and the low prices that the supermarkets were prepared to pay for home grown produce from the UK meant the growers went out of business.
    Marylebone farmers market stalls sell tomatoes grown in Hampshire & the Isle of Wight I’m sure they’d be very happy to sell to you at 5 times what you pay in a supermarket. Simple fact that so many little Englanders fail to see is that U.K. produce IS available but people refuse to pay the price for it. Just look at the various threads on this site dedicated to what a rip off food is and how Lidl/Aldi prices are putting there prices up. The U.K has the 2nd cheapest food on the planet !!!!!!!

Where we lived had in the past been extensive strawberry growing fields that were transported up to London by train, but again low priced imports and the supermarkets lack of support put all the growers out of business
    No, supermarkets sell what people buy. Given the choice between a punnet of U.K strawberries for £4 or one for £1.25 from Spain and people buy the Spanish ones and scream about the rip off £4 ones. Are you suggesting that supermarkets buy food they know they can’t sell?
    not houses that the locals and their children can afford, oh no, but 4/5 bedroom executive houses for those who can afford them, usually as second homes or as perceived escape from the big city by people who then want to change how life is in south Hants because it's not the life they had in London.
    When you sell your house with a 75% discount to a young local family we’ll have that conversation.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Blue_Doggy wrote: »
    Shhh! Don’t tell Fate, but I’ve found for the last few years that a dose of Echinacea at the very first signs of a cold, accompanied with tooth- and tongue-cleaning three times a day, and gargling with salt-and-water or sage tea, will stop it in its tracks.

I'd never heard of Echinacea until a colleague recommended it to me to stop colds last year, well blow me down! I've not had a cold since!

As soon as I feel that first tingle in my ear, throat or nose I take them and the cold never materialises. I also have a spray of Vicks first defence before plane journeys and no more colds the first day of holiday!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I'm a raving fan of first defence, I was told about it a year or so ago and have used it successfully ever since. Apparently, the cold virus lurks inside our nostrils for a day or so before replicating enough to invade the rest of our body. That's when we're sneezing, getting 'a bit of a throat' etc.

First defense causes the nose to run, washing the virus down your throat and into the stomach, where the acid kills it.

I work in a large office and any bug soon becomes communal property, so am very interested in preventing illhealth.

silver-oldie, about a decade ago, I sowed a packet of Rainbow Lights chard. And went away for two weeks in early June and came home to find flowering spikes 5 foot tall on it - there had been a drought and it had bolted. As insects were enjoying the modest green flowers so much, I left it to do its business and had a happy result: chard has germinated all over my allotment ever since.

The orginal variety defaulted to silver and ruby chard, with about 5 times as much of the former as the latter. I just leave it wherever it germinates and tug or cut leaves off it as needed. A mature chard plant is mostly vertical and probably takes up about the same amount of space as a rhubarb plant, if that helps at all.

I'd suggest throwing some seeds at the soil now, if you have them. They'll germinate when it suits them and chard seems indestructible, I can find fresh greens any day of the year.

Am planning to ramp up allotment production for 2020 and grow tomatoes by building a semi-sheltered place for them, will do the prep this autumn. I've also turned an old divan bed-base, minus fabric, into a plant rearing station, as seedlings need to be hard to get or the monster slugs scoff the lot.

;) I am also killing monster slugs on sight, with a knife, and cultivating the soil to turn up grubs and kill them, too. Garden prep starts here............
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silver-oldie
    Options
    Thank you GreyQueen

I don't have any chard seed but will try buy some next week, will also get cress and lamb lettuce.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • I pop on to Discussion Time on the odd occasion and there are some mightily angry and some extremely unpleasant posts from quite a few posters in most of the threads there. I find some of them so unacceptable in their point of view and the way they feel they can post to others that my Ignore list is currently running at more than 120 people so I don't see what they post unless someone else puts it on as a quote. However, everyone IS entitled to a point of view and stance on everything so I think they have the right to be there and even the right to say what they say.....I don't have to agree and it makes not a jot of difference to my life and how I choose to live it and what I choose to do or not to do. It's just words and words cannot do more than annoy or amuse depending on what they say. I prefer to stay here because it's a more comfortable place as we are all similarly motivated to get ourselves into a more protected position before an unknown situation intrudes itself into our lives with unforeseeable consequences thereto.

It's perfectly OK for those who want to remain or those who think life will stay just the way it is now no matter what or those in denial not to subscribe to our way of thinking and for them not to make any changes or contingency plans of preparation for that unknown outcome, it's their choice and they will have to live with it come what may as will we because to be ready as much as we can is OUR choice.

What I think is the problem is a lack of manners in how some people think they can address others with whom they disagree, the bullying and the ganging up of a group of posters of similar disposition against one or two others who have a different perception of whatever the subject matter of the thread is and that is in a civilised world (which over there it sometimes is NOT) not in the least bit acceptable behaviour. It is however most amusing if a little unkind to see the spectacular way in which those posters can on occasion clash with each other and the sparks fly and the words burn but they seem to enjoy the sheer nastiness of it more than they enjoy the more measured approach that most of the rest of us have. It's a dog eat dog place on occasion and not for those of a shrinking disposition!
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Prepping still going on here as it always does. I don't live near shops and have been snowed in. We get lots of power cuts, usually short, but it's amazing just how quickly you can get cold, so I make sure I have spare blankets and fleeces handy. Some cash has also made it into the house courtesy of DH which is strange.

I popped over to the other board too but soon got bored. I like to think of all the things I'll still do when and if there's unrest on the streets in the towns and cities. I'll still walk the dogs every, play board games with my family, grow my own food and potter in the garden.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Blue_Doggy
    Options
    I pop on to Discussion Time on the odd occasion and .... It's a dog eat dog place on occasion and not for those of a shrinking disposition!

There are a very few posts which I’d like to thank more than once, and this whole post is most definitely one of them.

Thank you for another excellent post.
    “Tomorrow is another day for decluttering.”
    Decluttering 2023 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Ginger planted.
    Piece of Ginger with quite a few nodes, bought for about £0.45 cut in half and now in two 10” pots.
    It was fun to do and I am hoping it will be fun to see what happens.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback