PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for mentioning the instant mash, it's something I had forgotten about. I don't really like it but I will tolerate it with cheese on top. I will add it to my " to get " list. We use Dutch crispbreads instead of bread sometimes and they have quite a long shelf life. I think they are about 50p a packet in HB.

Dreaming there was no shortage of milk in Tes*o today, but I do have powdered milk, longlife milk and coffee whitener stashed away.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 January 2019 at 11:02PM
    Options
    I have a stash of dried skimmed milk, I use the Tesco one which reconstituted is perfectly acceptable in tea and coffee and is fine in porridge or to make custard with or a white sauce. The modern dried milks are so much better than they were years ago, they make up easily in water and don't leave the powdery taste they did years ago. I use dried milk to make batter for Yorkshires, I've made perfectly acceptable rice puddings with it too and it's fine in baking if you need milk in a recipe.

I like to keep some rye crispbreads in, they seem to stay good forever and I also like crackerbreads for their lighter taste. The most nutritious bread substitute we use are oatcakes and they keep very well in storage and are nice with cheese, jam, marmalade even marmite so are useful for every meal.

Mr.Mash is the nicest of the instant mashes available and is found in Home Bargains for under £1 a pack of 4 sachets that each make up to 4 adult servings useful stuff.
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    We have a freezer full of meat and fish, with a bit of frozen veg, really no room for much more. The cupboards are stocked and there are stores of pasta, tomatoes and various herbs and stuff. I think we are just going to carry on with our normal level of prepping which is really to ensure that we have stuff to eat, even if we do have to modify meals in the case of shortages. Medstead a different issue as although neither z OH nor I require any medication at present, our DS does, not to preserve life but to be comfortable.

It is hard to know what else to do, the whole thing is a bit hard to predict.

I must be naive because I have not quite understood why I should be storing water. We do have a camping stove and candles, but we have those anyhow. And warm clothes, hats, socks but it may be that these are not needed, given that things are likely to happen in spring.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I know a lot of people are stocking up on tinned tomatoes. I would also suggest tins of anchovies, jars of capers and jars of black olives as well. Pasta Puttanesca is delicious and the entire dish can be cooked from stores Add a bit of grated Parmesan, which keeps for ages and there is a reasonable amount of protein as well
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    Options
    Meant to add - if you are dairy intolerant, nutritional yeast gives a nice savoury flavour to replace cheese and keeps well. Vegan recipes have lots of suggestions
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had a thought last night at 3.30ish when I woke up because the room that had been nicely warm when I went to bed had become cold enough to actually wake me up and I pulled on the wool blanket that was at the foot of the bed that investment in a few real wool blankets might be a good investment. Wool warms like no synthetic fabric can and some years ago I invested in a couple of National Trust recycled wool double blankets from one of their shops at Mottisfont Abbey in Hampshire where we used to live. There really is no way of knowing what Brexit will affect until it happens and we find out first hand, should there be blips in the energy supply of both electricity and gas then homes won't be warmed to the temperatures we're all used to and many people only have central heating without a back up open fireplace or stove and nights will feel a great deal cooler. I was glad to have the blanket last night and managed to get warm enough to get back to sleep and am lucky enough to be retired so being tired today wouldn't matter but if I'd still been working it would have been a very long day on not enough sleep and I'd feel grim for most of it. I know wool blankets are expensive but I'm glad we've got them and we'll be comfortably warm when we need to be.
  • maryb
    Options
    I still have a Witney wool blanket that I bought in the 1970s. Of course being from the 1970s it is brown. Because everything was brown if it wasn’t orange. My girls go yuk when they see it but it’s sooo warm
  • humptydumptybits
    humptydumptybits Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2019 at 12:00PM
    Options
    I suppose one good thing with timing is that the worst of the winter will be over or at least most of it will be so hopefully any disruption to power will be resolved before next winter starts.

When we had our kitchen redone a couple of years ago I opted for a gas hob and electric oven, thought that gave us a chance of having hot food, improved the odds at the very least.

No semi skimmed in supermarket this morning but plenty of full fat and skimmed. Not sure why that would be.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ive still got a lovely pink merino wool blanket that was a wedding present from my godmother in the mid 60's! Its always been kept in the airing cupboard as an emergency - came from Rackhams in Birmingham - happy memories!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I've been reviewing my cupboards for non food and non toiletry items, to check what it getting low, and have decided to get more caddy liners and tin foil sooner rather than later.

I want to have all supplies fully in place by mid March, and avoid the shops as much as possible after this date until the situation is stable and we know what it is we are actually dealing with. Logic tells me that, two weeks before Brexit, the general population will start having a bit of a panic and start clearing the supermarket shelves.

Brexit is 12 weeks today, so its no longer something in the distant future, it'll be here before we know it, and for me, it's time to be organised and serious about this.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport