PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I think preparing for Brexit in this way is still quite a niche activity.

However, if May's deal is voted down (likely) and we head for a no deal Brexit, I think there'll be panic buying towards the end of March.

You may wish to investigate what's going to happen to the Border with the Irish Republic in the event of a no deal Brexit. Will it still be as easy to go back and forth as it is now? If not, will this affect your ability to shop in Ireland?!
    The physical border would be no problem: there are over 300 minor roads. Without wanting to go political, at the height of our troubles even with 20,000 British troops in the Province and minor roads and bridges blown up all kinds of everything flowed effortlessly back and forth.

But I do agree with your point about getting goods to Ireland in the first place
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Stockpiling is a word that suggests taking more than your share of things and selfishly hoarding more than you could possibly need to the detriment of the rest of humanity. What preppers do (and this is nothing like the extremes that are seen in the USA) is to stock up a couple of cupboards with things that we will use in the course of our lives anyway, everyday items like stock cubes, tea bags and tins of beans, candles, paracetamol and loo rolls. Here in the UK we don't have big enough homes to 'stockpile' and the suggestion that preppers do is quite ludicrous. I prep because I like to have some sort of buffer between me and a possible event, I have one cupboard in my store room that has in it tins, rice, pasta, a little flour, tea bags and packs of instant 'add boiling water' foods. I have some otc meds in the bathroom but we only have limited storage space so I couldn't 'stockpile' even if I wanted to. Why does the fact that I'm trying to help our lives be more comfortable and secure in the future for any reason, not necessary Brexit but bad weather, civil unrest, flu or other illness etc. make people so critical?
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stockpiling is a word that suggests taking more than your share of things and selfishly hoarding more than you could possibly need to the detriment of the rest of humanity. What preppers do (and this is nothing like the extremes that are seen in the USA) is to stock up a couple of cupboards with things that we will use in the course of our lives anyway, everyday items like stock cubes, tea bags and tins of beans, candles, paracetamol and loo rolls. Here in the UK we don't have big enough homes to 'stockpile' and the suggestion that preppers do is quite ludicrous. I prep because I like to have some sort of buffer between me and a possible event, I have one cupboard in my store room that has in it tins, rice, pasta, a little flour, tea bags and packs of instant 'add boiling water' foods. I have some otc meds in the bathroom but we only have limited storage space so I couldn't 'stockpile' even if I wanted to. Why does the fact that I'm trying to help our lives be more comfortable and secure in the future for any reason, not necessary Brexit but bad weather, civil unrest, flu or other illness etc. make people so critical?

Just like us ! People have got out of the habit of ' putting food by' ,as our parents,and their parents did.It was normal,as times were a damn sight tougher than now.Food is plentiful,and relatively cheap.Shops are open 24 hours.This lulls folk into a sense of false security,I think.

Unless you are hard up,and I have been there,which is why I store food and consumables,then it is not difficult to store same.If there are shortages,I am sure we will be called ' Hoarders'.However,we all have the chance now,and that will not lead to shelves being stripped.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well I've been there too Mumf, and hungry and cold and not in a position to do a thing about it as I was a child and it leaves a legacy in your thinking about what being safe and in charge of your life actually means doesn't it? I've been through many 'happenings' in my life from a very poor childhood, to a divorce, to 17 1/2% mortgage interest payments while being a stay at home mum with to young children and literally having to comb coat pockets to find and then 'count the pennies' to feed us. IF Brexit happens, IF there are disruptions in the supply chain, IF there is a shortage of fuel for the HGV lorries to get stuff to the shops in the first place or IF we have a spell of bad weather or the Flu all I want is a little buffer of long lasting essentials to keep us going until the shops have things in them again. Surely that is neither wrong, selfish or misguided I just want to look after us by being prepared for it!
  • Saipan
    Saipan Posts: 54 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kah22 wrote: »
    The physical border would be no problem: there are over 300 minor roads. Without wanting to go political, at the height of our troubles even with 20,000 British troops in the Province and minor roads and bridges blown up all kinds of everything flowed effortlessly back and forth.

But I do agree with your point about getting goods to Ireland in the first place

Interesting and helpful information, thank you.

I am one of the many who rely on life-saving (as opposed to life-enhancing) medication to keep me alive and I have recently escalated my preparations for obtaining it outside the UK given the current situation. I have no doubt that the Secretary of State for Health was not scaremongering when he said in November that the government couldn't guarantee that people wouldn't die due to lack of appropriate medication in the event of a no-deal scenario.

One of my medications is manufactured in France and I am already looking into how I can purchase it from there, what documentation I would need, whether friends in Europe could buy it for me, etc. I will definitely look into the possibility of buying it in Ireland. I have lost count of the number of people I know of who have recently secured Irish citizenship, or are applying for it, so this could be an easier option. I am avoiding buying via the internet as who knows what it might contain.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Saipan wrote: »
    Interesting and helpful information, thank you.

I am one of the many who rely on life-saving (as opposed to life-enhancing) medication to keep me alive and I have recently escalated my preparations for obtaining it outside the UK given the current situation. I have no doubt that the Secretary of State for Health was not scaremongering when he said in November that the government couldn't guarantee that people wouldn't die due to lack of appropriate medication in the event of a no-deal scenario.

One of my medications is manufactured in France and I am already looking into how I can purchase it from there, what documentation I would need, whether friends in Europe could buy it for me, etc. I will definitely look into the possibility of buying it in Ireland. I have lost count of the number of people I know of who have recently secured Irish citizenship, or are applying for it, so this could be an easier option. I am avoiding buying via the internet as who knows what it might contain.

I also need life-saving meds. I am amazed at how the worries of people like us get dismissed as remainers moaning, scaremongering etc. I have got an Irish passport rather than renewing my UK passport and would go to Ireland and stay with relatives if necessary. My husband is disabled and it would be very hard as he couldn't come with me but couldn't manage alone so I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place. I suppose I would have to go back and forth until things are sorted out.

I wouldn't buy something off the internet for the same reason.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you think Ireland would not be affected by a hard Brexit, why is Leo Varadkar already saying he would want miliions of Euros in emergency aid to mitigate the impact on Ireland?

This is not to be political but to point out that we cannot know all the implications. However all the information that is available suggests there could be some disruption for a while. My own opinion is that it will not last long but that is only my opinion. However it has informed my decision to make sure that I have reasonable stocks of the items I use all the time so that I don't have to go shopping and so that there is stuff left in the shops for those who really can't do much in advance.

Though having said that, Elaine Colliar was at one point left standing in the bank with 71p as they told her that her account was frozen. She clawed her way back and built up a store cupboard starting with one tin of tomatoes. As she says, yes, she was that broke. It's an inspiring read
    https://mortgagefreeinthree.com/2012/06/armageddon-cupboard-show-and-tell/
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Gintotmelinda
    Gintotmelinda Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi anyone know where t buy dried onions? According to A*da the stock them but I couldn't find any today.
    Thanks
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi anyone know where t buy dried onions? According to A*da the stock them but I couldn't find any today.
    Thanks

My best guess would be Sainsbury although I haven't been looking for them as I dehydrate my own now. I think they are fairly unpopular to be honest, as fresh onions are generally so easy and cheap to come by.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,260 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Morries & Waitrose, but maybe Asda still sorting out the Christmas stocks and not yet back to "normal"
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback