PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Easter is on 21 April this year so fortunately not too close so with luck will not impact on distribution
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    I think my neighbours are expecting problems with toilet rolls, when I was outside earlier they had the garage door open and I saw a mountain of toilet rolls. Probably sensible but there's only two of them and I should think it will last them a year.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've been to Morrisons this morning and found 500g packs of 1 minute cook polenta for 70p really useful as a base because it's so filling and it can be sliced and fried if you make too much and it gets cold. Topped with a tomato sauce and some pulses, a scattering of grated cheese (parmesan ready grated in a tub is fine) it makes a tasty and filling meal. I also found green split peas, again they don't need much prep as they cook without soaking and make a main meal soup or pease pudding, I got continental lentils for the same reason and some couscous at 500g for 55p and that just needs hot water to reconstitute (stock cube added for flavour if you have any) and mixed with the cooked lentils makes a complete protein meal. I also picked up 1kg of porridge oats for 75p from Aldi and 2 x iced Christmas cakes reduced to £1.99 each so the store cupboard has had a real boost.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think my neighbours are expecting problems with toilet rolls, when I was outside earlier they had the garage door open and I saw a mountain of toilet rolls. Probably sensible but there's only two of them and I should think it will last them a year.

Reminds me, and others who lived through it, of the Great Loo Roll Shortage in the 70s

There was no reason, except a rumour started and triggered panic buying
    Then it was Sugar's turn

No doubt it will occur again and for similar non reasons
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

No semi skimmed in supermarket this morning but plenty of full fat and skimmed. Not sure why that would be.

Dreaming there was no shortage of milk in Tes*o today, but I do have powdered milk, longlife milk and coffee whitener stashed away.

Just popped into local Tesco Express (quite a large one) for milk
    and there was very little on the shelves. No semi-skimmed at all, just a few 2 pint organic bottles, and some red-top. It was too busy to ask if there were delivery problems but will try again tomorrow morning as I need a pint of semi-skimmed for a group I belong to. There may be mutiny if tea and coffee aren't available.
    Will be having a "grating" session later as I have over-catered on the cheese for Xmas front (as usual). I also thought about getting a few bottles of wine. Not a necessity, of course, but definitely a nice-to-have.
  • humptydumptybits
    humptydumptybits Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2019 at 5:52PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Reminds me, and others who lived through it, of the Great Loo Roll Shortage in the 70s

There was no reason, except a rumour started and triggered panic buying
    Then it was Sugar's turn

No doubt it will occur again and for similar non reasons

Wasn't the sugar shortage to do with joining the EU (or whatever it was called then.) I seem to remember something about us having always got our sugar from the West Indies from sugar cane and then we changed to sugar beet from the EU. I might have imagined that but I feel like it must have come from something I heard.

I do remember the toilet roll shortage and being told we mustn't use kitchen roll as it was blocking all the sewers.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Today will be the topping up day for OTC medications like Ibuprofen and paracetamol and some cough medicines and throat sweets all of which are useful and I know will be used through the year anyway. I'll be looking for some toothpaste and shampoo to go into store too. All these things will be used up in ordinary life so I know it's an investment worth making.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Local Tesco Express had milk today, although not their usual stocks - no 2-pint semi-skimmed. I got a 4 pint for me, and 2 separate pints for club today, and one on Monday morning. The manager said that their deliveries come from Muller and they keep changing the delivery times. It used to be first thing in the morning but now tends to be midday or later. Another customer said that Morrisons had very little milk yesterday so maybe they have the same supplier. I do have a couple of pint containers of milk in the freezer for my own use, and may add a couple more now some of the festive food has gone.
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I haven't noticed any issues with milk near us, I tend to keep in UHT milk which we use in tea and coffee if we run out anyway so will add some to our stores. Little one has soya milk but the growing up one which is really expensive anyway but is imported from Belgium so I shall make sure I have plenty in going forward, handy it has a long expiration date!
    Today will be a trip to the Allotment, we have only had it for a few weeks, im in too much pain today to do much but we will cover over the areas that have been dug. I see the allotment as part of my prepping.
    After that we are going to head over to c0stco to stock up on things we need anyway and will add anything that is on offer that we will see as benefit for our prepping.
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • A_Simple_Home
    Options
    :money:
    Today will be the topping up day for OTC medications like Ibuprofen and paracetamol and some cough medicines and throat sweets all of which are useful and I know will be used through the year anyway. I'll be looking for some toothpaste and shampoo to go into store too. All these things will be used up in ordinary life so I know it's an investment worth making.
    I am doing a similar thing. I have 2 months supply of essentials such as loo roll, toothpaste, paracetamol, olive oil, shampoo, and cooking basics. Plus a few extra tins of baked beans, chopped tomatoes, and fish. All will be used whether there are post brexit problems or not. I have allotments and garden produce so veg should not be a problem.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback