PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Please can I just ask what kind of tinned meats you are buying.....,,

My only recollection of tinned meats are not happy ones. Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies were particularly disgusting as I recall. :rotfl:

I am happy enough buying tinned tuna, salmon etc but apart from corned beef (which I think is extortionate for what it is) I have no idea what meat in tins would be half decent.

So far, I've mainly been getting thinks like tinned chickpeas, lentils, beans and pulses, but my attention has now also turned to meat.

I'm not keen on tinned fish, and a few years ago I had some tinned corned beef - the tin was a pig to open and it didn't taste very nice.

This week, I put a a couple of tins of Hunter brand (from Aldi) chicken curry and steak in my shopping basket. I've no idea what they'll taste like, but it seemed somewhere to start.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 January 2019 at 10:33PM
    Options
    "Maybe try understanding that people on an Old Style thread like to focus on the practical aspects of prepping."
    Thanks Maryb. Totally agree.
    Also thank you HumptyD.

I cannot do anything about the life prolonging/saving meds for my DH and I do not need reassurances nor an apology from anybody. The sooner the PTB sort this stuff out the better, as prolonging this agony (or trying to) will drive me round the twist . Only when a decision is made will I know/understand if the meds will be OK or not, so there is no point in me worrying or moaning before this.
    I am so fed up of the bickering, arguing and counter arguing, so it would be nice if possible, to keep that away from this thread. Please I am asking nicely.

To coin a phrase - we are where we are, so I am prepping for my family, in my own way, whether it is Br***t, bad weather, or hard times. However I am not too old to learn about new things or ways of prepping that perhaps I've never heard about or come across before. So please keep the ideas / thoughts on preps coming.
    Lessonlearned I put a couple of tins of chicken curry and a tin of ham into my supplies today. I'm not a great lover of tinned meat but they will do as a stand by in an emergency. HTH
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve had TVP mince from Tesco in the past. It is a good price and works well in chilli and bol
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    I’ve had TVP mince from Tesco in the past. It is a good price and works well in chilli and bol

Oh I had completely forgotten about that, thank you. Heaven knows whether this is produced in the UK. Things like tofu are presumably produced elsewhere but I really don't know any more. We only find out when the price rockets or there is none to be had.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    I think corned beef is probably the best tinned meat. I'm not mad about it but if you make it into a corned beef pasty it is quite tasty. I've got some hot dog sausages as well, for the GC, I've got no idea what they are like but they seem to like them. I'll probably get a tin of ham as well, OK for sandwiches. I haven't tried things like the tinned curry but might give them a go just in case.

I've also got things like kidney beans, chick peas and so on. Bit of chilli powder and some tinned toms and it can be tasty. Oh just thought onions would be a good thing to have, always add a bit of flavour.

I'm not that worried about meat but DH would feel hard done by if he didn't get meat every day, he might have to be a bit more adventurous.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the tinned meat ideas.

I am grain intolerant and generally stick to a paleo way of eating however I am quite happy to go meat free occasionally so I will happily buy in some beans or pulses, even if technically they aren't true paleo. I may be wrong but I tend to think meat and fish prices will rise.

My big problem though is that because I am grain intolerant unfortunately filling up on pasta or rice isn't a good idea so there's really not much point in stockpiling too many grain based products. They have to be a treat, no more than once a week at most. I have just bought one bag of wheat spaghetti and one of macaroni for energencies. I can eat quinoa and buckwheat so I'll buy some extra and I can eat substitutes like lentil based "pasta". So I'll get a few packets in.

Watched the Mary Portas programme last night and it talked about the improved range of vegan foods available now. Apparently Iceland do a good range. I might check them out. I did pick up a reduced vegan nut roast in Spainsburys the other day. I think I might look into vegan and vegetarian options that are not grain based.

I suppose the timing of Brexit is actually in our favour, in that it will be spring rather than the onset of winter. It does give us more time to get prepared and learn new ways. I am going to try and grow fruit, veg, salad and herbs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    For those actually interested in the Prepping part of the thread it might be an idea to include some 'instant' items of food in amongst your prepping supplies, things like instant mash, cuppa soups, mug shot pasta sachets, porridge pots, instant custard, gravy granules in essence things that only need boiling water to deliver a warm element to a meal just in case there is any disruption to any of the utilities and an intermittent supply. If you have a source of heating like a camping stove to be able to make something comforting using just boiled water would be very useful I also include instant hot chocolate, cappuccino sachets and things like lemon tea in the comforting bracket, all of which would be a morale boost if you were in need of one. Instant mash is a very useful commodity much loved by D of E expeditions as it can be made into an acceptable even tasty hot meal with the addition of a couple of foil wrapped cheese triangles, a couple of sachets( or a squeeze from a bottle) of tomato ketchup and a small tin of baked beans mixed through it. Not haute cuisine but real comfort food.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a couple of tins of M&S chicken in cream sauce. It's good in a pasta bake . I usually add leeks or mushrooms. Delia Smith uses it in a pie in her "How to Cheat at Cooking". I will find my copy of that book and see if she uses any other tinned meats.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    I've got a couple of tins of M&S chicken in cream sauce. It's good in a pasta bake . I usually add leeks or mushrooms. Delia Smith uses it in a pie in her "How to Cheat at Cooking". I will find my copy of that book and see if she uses any other tinned meats.

Great idea. My mum used to use that in vol-au-vonts, adding mushrooms to make the meat go further, they were delicious. I think a friend said that M&S also do a nice stewed beef casserole thing. I think I'd rather pay a bit more and get nice meat rather than go too cheap and end up with something nasty. It could always be bulked out with mushrooms or frozen or tinned veg.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Corned beef is about the only tinned meat I eat but it is useful as a base for corned beef hash etc. Unfortunately we no longer have an M&S in town so I can't try the chicken. I noticed some "flavoured" instant mash sachets in Morries before Xmas so a couple of each went into my basket (bubble and squeak/cheese&onion/potato&onion) which I thought could top a corned beef/bean "shepherd's pie", or be made into potato cakes with something added. I also like some of the Uncle Ben's microwave rice (which can also been done in a suaucepan in a couple of minutes). I will also be looking for any packs of crackers etc. which might be sold off after Xmas. I find they are a useful standby if I have no bread, although I do sometimes have the part-baked bread rolls which are ok. My mainstays are tomatoes, beans (all sorts), lentils,chickpeas, pasta and rice. I always have herbs and spices so can ring the changes a bit. I need to look at milk alternatives - did anyone else have a milk shortgage just before Xmas? My local supermarket manager said that they weren't always receiving their full order but he didn't give a reason. I noticed this in Morrisons and the little Tesco Express but I guess it could have been a local thing. I haven't shopped since before the big day so can't vouch for supplies now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback