Laptop for Grandad .. again!

Options
J_B
J_B Posts: 6,450 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Just been to see F-i-L and he's fed up with his 10 (?) year old laptop, then we remembered that we 'upgraded' in in 2014!! :eek:
as discussed here
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5106626&page=2

From CCleaner, it tells me thus:-
Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo mobile V5515

Intel CPU@1.86 GHz
2 GB RAM
SIS Graphics
W7 Home Premium 32 bit

M-i-L has an iPad

He has no real thoughts on what to do, but needs something faster.

Where to go now, in an economical way??

:)

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Prop the door open with it realistically as if that's its original spec it was a bit crap when you bought it in all honesty.

Here's a nice one, £340 at the time of posting:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-310-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B076DFMKB2
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What does he do on a laptop ?
    Would a tablet be more suitable ?
  • J_B
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    What does he do on a laptop ?
    Emails
    Web browsing
    Very occasional word processing

DCFC79 wrote: »
    Would a tablet be more suitable ?

Not sure really. M-i-L has an iPad.
    He's had a Windows PC for nearly 20 years now so is comfortable with that. *Maybe* he likes the idea of his own machine in his own space (the back bedroom), his sort of 'men's shed', even if he has a shed as well! :rotfl:
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    He has no real thoughts on what to do, but needs something faster
    :)
    Faster in what way?

One of the easiest (and cheapest) ways to boost boot-up times and generally speed up a PC is to install a SSD. You can get a 250Gb Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 Evo for around £60 from Amazon, simply clone the old HDD and away you go.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo mobile V5515
    SATA 1 (1.5Gb/s); could take an SSD I guess!?; 120GB should be enough (check existing used space first!) £30 @Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XWDN6V
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Even though an SSD will help; https://www.mymemory.co.uk/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-2-5-ssd-drive-560mb-s.html. Unless the budget is really tight, I would think about getting a better machine. This is why; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVxF9ugyr_4
  • J_B
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Unless the budget is really tight, I would think about getting a better machine.

Don't usually agree with you ;):p:D but this time, I think you are right!

What's the best 'budget' option?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Emails
    Web browsing
    Very occasional word processing

Not sure really. M-i-L has an iPad.
    He's had a Windows PC for nearly 20 years now so is comfortable with that. *Maybe* he likes the idea of his own machine in his own space (the back bedroom), his sort of 'men's shed', even if he has a shed as well! :rotfl:
    Can someone explain to JB(and me) how a SSD will make these uses faster, once the PC is booted up? If the PC has enough RAM and their broadband is fast enough ....
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 23 May 2018 at 11:30PM
    Options
    Can someone explain to JB(and me) how a SSD will make these uses faster, once the PC is booted up? If the PC has enough RAM and their broadband is fast enough ....
    Program [Email, browser, Word] startup will be quicker but, once running, no difference. So...if you autostart these with Windows and make a cup of tea while the PC starts up - you'll be fine.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Program [Email, browser, Word] startup will be quicker but, once running, no difference. So...if you autostart these with Windows and make a cup of tea while the PC starts up - you'll be fine.
    Without Ssd my desktop starts in 72secs, with Ssd 35 secs just about enough time to open the fridge and realise you have no milk, difference in time for loading browser maybe 20ms but can’t measure it. Bob’s your uncle it’s all relative for browsing/email it comes down to broadband/modem:eek: speed. In this case grandad could me my age and thinks as I do faster means I can do more with my one finger typing:rotfl:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure