NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!

Options

Comments

• Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry for lack of posts, I!!!8217;ve lost track of everything this week.

It!!!8217;s been crazy but good news is that grandad is starting to pick up and has been moved to a hospital close to some relatives and both staff and students have pulled together to support each other after last weekend!!!8217;s tragic news.

Today I have been busy already - swim, jacuzzi, food shopping, petrol, inflating tyres, dog walk, washing and beauticians, and I!!!8217;m now going to go clothes shopping, go to the hospital, walk the dogs again and then meet a friend for dinner. A busy but productive but very spendy day.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just a quick one from me - exam season has begun so I'm tight for time every day...

2 very spendy days. Friday was £84 on groceries, and this morning £22 in town on stuff for dd. I am scarily short of cash for the remainder of the month, and going to London on Wednesday for work. I'm sure I'll survive though.

Fmess - good news about your granddad.
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you f0xholes and thrifty for your supportive messages. The good news is I got my bag of handmedowns today and am prepared newborn clothing wise. I just need to put a few of the vests in my bag then I have a "24 hour" bag packed. When I have time and energy I'll do a separate bag for "oh carp we're here for a few days aren't we?" As seasoned short-breakers doing my own bit of an overnight bag was easy, plus some towels from Tesco and some snacks; I have put in wipes, nappies, muslins and a small cellular blanket for little one - so it is just clothing I'm missing.

I didn't see my usual midwife at my last appointment - who is very nice and very human, for want of a better term. The stand in was certainly vigilant - I'm being sent for a growth check on Monday as she thinks baby is too small. I think that perhaps I'm just going to not have a huge baby, or I measure small because I am small, and I'm more concerned that taking time out of my last week at work will be more stressful than anything else. I honestly feel that baby is fine - he or she is very active, always got the same heartbeat, head down and engaged good and early (contributing to my late pregnancy fatigue and waddle!). I may do a f0xholes and turn an expected 6lber into a 10lber ;-) this family only does big babies, newborn clothing goes unused as they're born too big for it. Perhaps that was part of my own lack of urgency. But I'm either going against the grain and producing a little'un - or they're just hiding their full size for now. Whatever their size, my pelvis feels like it's made of iron and the baby feels like it'll fall out at every step. Time for maternity leave soon!

In non-moneysaving news - I was too exhausted to get fuel on Friday so need to pop out tomorrow, losing another nsd. And after taking DH to help with shopping before I went to work, he went out again later and spent about £11 on things that would've been cheaper in Mr L, and unnecessary bread products. Thing is... we have a breadmaker... which produces better quality bread products at a fraction of the price. He thinks he did very well, though the budget is now well and truly blown with over a week to go. When we are actually down to one income this can't happen :o
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hugs to those in need of them.
    NSD: 14/19 Was a NSD today.
    Motivation: To be more mindful regarding spending. This is going to be ongoing. So far doing ok.
    Money: The budget for each category is done.
    Me time: Did wordsearch and mindfulness colouring.
    Move: Walked from sorting office to friend's flat.
    Activation: To get my spending down to a reasonable amount.
    Arm yourself: Will have to stand strong in my quest against consumerism and acquiring more. Still doing this.
    Donation to charity: Done for the month.
    Grateful for:
    Seeing brother and sister in law, as they came down from Somerset to sort out the final few bits in Dad's house. Having a nice chat and a mug of tea with them. They also took my Dad's ashes. Looks like the house is in the final stages of being sold.
    Seeing Royal Wedding round friend's.
    Picking up the Buddy Box from the mental health support organisation from the sorting office.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • indigowarrior
    indigowarrior Posts: 745 Forumite
    Options
    Hugs to anyone that needs them.
    I am doing okay. Mental health is still struggling and sadly not getting any better.
    Today was an NSD :) and tomorrow will be as well.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Many hugs for everyone (if you get too many remember to pass them on).

A SFD so far.

Very lazy day. Slept early and well and still could not keep awake for more than 5 minutes all mornng, so staying where I am for the foreseeable - not in pain but aware that I have done (physically) as much as I can (pesky fence posts) so listening to my body and resting (got to get ready for the remaining 3 posts next week).

Trying to spend the time wisely by assessing a few things and putting lists in order, working out which tasks make the greatest impact for least time and effort ie I can't use the drill yet to put up the kitchen shelf (it's being used but it's in the wrong place beacause it's just propped up) but there is a smaller shelf with a rail for the utensils, which could have the hooks changed for larger ones and have tthe rail for pans below it, if it were moved further up the support.

Today I am grateful for rest, sleep, a good book and a good detective series to watch (only managing 5 - 10 minutes a day so it should last a while). Oh, I am so grateful for the food left by DS2 (squash, sweetcorn and black bean stew). Legs were still wobbly but I went downstairs as I needed a fork to eat the ys stir fry with salad dressing and crispbread to put the egg mayo. I was going to put something in the oven, then remembered the stew. Absolutely delicious and just what I needed.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

Motivation: what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? My motivation is to cut down on the unnecessary spending and pay for some renovations to this property. In order to do this I think we need to be saving money by doing any jobs we can realistically (!) do ourselves. DH made an effort to clear the living room, scuppered by dd bringing her stuff in & leaving it all over. Never mind. she will be off tomorrow pm (hopefully) as she has social things planned....

Money: know your income and outgoings. All DD bills should have gone out by now and I am going to add up our income, that won't take very long.. so far have done now two grocery shops. Grocery bill so far £57.07. No spending today either hooray..

Me time: look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. Sleep good but too short as woken by furry alarm clocks, eating - good today, all HM stuff in the main. Bonus of being awake early was I was able to get out into garden/greenhouse before it got too hot. Finally repotted my tomatoes, which I did enjoy..

Move: being active benefits your body and your mind. You know that. Now do it. Was active in garden/greenhouse early but then slumped on sofa...makes me crabby when I am inactive.

Activation: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Have not done much decluttering but have identified some items to sell to a fellow collector. Just need to find out how to price, which will be tricky as rare items & not available so need to research somehow. Got reply from friend re collectables; need to send her some photos & she has a source that she can consult. Sadly also told me she is very unwell with heart trouble. Photographed stuff to send to friend & actually sent them to her, so process started although I don't expect to hear for a little while. Took more photos, will post to try & get more sales. Lady received DVDs & says that she showed one film at the weekend, which she says will increase my DVD sales. Packed up all DVD sales except US ones - there were loads - & DH took them to PO. Need to email everyone to advise either a) on its way or b) it'll be awhile..

Arm yourself : you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Glad we are not bothered about 'keeping up with the Joneses' - have done that a long time ago but really do not care any more. It's how some people validate themselves & that's fine, but not for me. We are now free from paid work commitments but spent many years getting there, wish it had been sooner. Desperate need of decluttering & getting rid of old lifestyle. Am going to do this so will post progress on here to keep me accountable. No progress today, other than getting rid of at least a dozen DVDs - haven't sold any for 6 years (!) - and re-used all packaging & labels so they are gone from here. Small steps.

You. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Don't just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful. [B]Gratitudes[/B] Lovely weather & great to be out early; tasty home made food; DH being helpful..

NSDs now 10/19

Check ins: 18/31

Finally done charity donation through euro account. Ten euro to the doggies...of West Cork
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks ccl

Lovely but busy day yesterday. Today will be busy again but mainly home based so the dogs can run in the garden all day and I!!!8217;ll do some gardening, school work and examining.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    NSD 10 yesterday

Stayed home, up my ladder,
    Made scones and the kids watched Royal Wedding highlights with tea and scones and sausage rolls. They think weddings are silly and wanted to know why there were no swords (boys!!!). There was also much discussion about why men don't get to wear ridiculous hats at weddings, Then they scurried off to blast aliens.

I have finished 5 books this week, including the car book. So I have to remember to put another one in, or I will be bored whilst doing school runs,

Baking and stripping planned for the day (how WI is that!)

Hiding from dangerous radiation and pollen.

Might do a YS raid, depending on when DH gets back from his overnight party. Only one week left until half term....the countdown begins ................................
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NSD: 15/19 Was a NSD today.
    Motivation: To be more mindful regarding spending. This is going to be ongoing. So far doing ok.
    Money: The budget for each category is done.
    Me time: Did wordsearch and mindfulness colouring.
    Move: Walked to and from bus stop to Mum's grave.
    Activation: To get my spending down to a reasonable amount.
    Arm yourself: Will have to stand strong in my quest against consumerism and acquiring more. Still doing this.
    Donation to charity: Done for the month.
    Grateful for:
    Met a lovely lady at the cemetery who told me some useful information.
    Lovely weather.
    Having a chilled out day.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills