Direct debit amount change not notified - ScottishPower

Options

Comments

• jkcool
    jkcool Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Graham,

Most of the Scottish Power customer care representatives are not trained well to deal with these kind of issues but I decided to pursue until I got a confirmation from them. After speaking to at least 3 agents and sending out 4 emails, finally on a Saturday a senior person called me back. He finally understood the problem. He started defending that the change in amount and direct debit dates are sensitive information and it cannot be sent via email. I reminded him that Scottish Power sends all these information in it's yearly review email. So he agreed that from a customer point of view I am right but they are banking on the technicality that the Direct Debit Guarantee does not specify the way of notification. But I insisted that this is sent to be via an email. This is what (in bold) he sent me via email.

I can confirm that under the Direct Debit Guarantee we are required to give you 14 days notice to any change in your Direct Debit. As it is not specified how this notification is given we choose to inform our online customers through their online account. We have found that we notified you of this change on the 17th March 2018, 25 days before the payment was taken

They have taken my feedback and they may decide to notify it. I did not find time to follow up with BACS regarding the clause. Since there are more than one people having the issue, I will follow up this issue shortly and update you.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    jkcool wrote: »
    Since there are more than one people having the issue, I will follow up this issue shortly and update you.

Unless I am missing something, I personally I don't think it is an 'issue'. You were notified 25 days in advance.

I have had on-line accounts with several companies and all notify me of a change in my DD on my on-line bill; which is what I expect if I elect for an on-line account.

Even before on-line accounts were introduced notification of changes to a DD were normally included on a bill and not by separate letter.
  • jkcool
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    You were notified 25 days in advance.

Here the issue is with the word notify. It is my uderstanding that when ever the direct debit amount changes the customer have to be notified. Take the case of credit cards, when a new statement is generated ( which says what's my due), I am notified via an email that new statement is available in your online account. Here I am notified. The email has no information but it notifies. Whereas, in the case of Scottish Power, my case, the information about meter reading company submitting the readings, generating a new bill and consequenty change in my direct debit amount was not notified. I was totally unaware.Thamses water sends me email notification when a new bill was generated and changes in DD.

The sensible person on the last call with Scottish Power understood and agreed that it is fair to demand that at least an email notification is sent when new bills are created. But as per the their policy they don't do it as the Direct Debit Guarantee does not specify the way in which the notification is made. I agree with it. But I don't like it.

I am going to follow up with BACS to see if they can amend terms to include clarification in terms of the ways to notify the customer.

Hope I explained the issue properly.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    jkcool wrote: »
    Here the issue is with the word notify.

Hope I explained the issue properly.

Scottish Power always sent me an email when a bill had been generated - I had several like this:

logo.png
    Your Account number is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    See 'Important security information' below
    Dear Cardew
    Using the latest meter readings we have available for you*, we've updated your energy bill/statement. You can view this in my messages

If you pay by Direct Debit, you can view and alter your monthly payments with our direct debit manager

Thanks for being a ScottishPower customer.
    Regards
    Lynda Clayton
    Customer Service Director
    Need help? Visit ourSupport centre
    * Your bill will explain if these meter readings are actual or estimated
  • jkcool
    Options
    They never sends me. That's my issue.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you don't receive advance notification the direct debit guarantee allows you to ask your bank to pull the money back from SP.

This will not stop you owing the amount, it will just mean you are able to pull it back at the time.

When you submit your own readings to SP it might be good practice to check for any notifications while you are logged into your account if you have opted to be paperless. If it's printed on your bill, it's technically 'advance notice'.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • jkcool
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    If you don't receive advance notification the direct debit guarantee allows you to ask your bank to pull the money back from SP.

The issue (or convenience) is in the terms and conditions of direct debit guarantee where it does not define the full meaning of the word 'notify'.
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Scottish Power on line account.
    You are supposed to submit your meter readings each month.
    If you do this online, then the website submits them to your account details and you are immediately given a review of your account, showing whether you are under or over paying.
    IF one of those situations arises, they then immediately advise you on the webpage of the adjustment they will make to your next direct debit.

I suggest the OP has not been following this practice which explains why he has been unaware that he was so far in debit. If he had submitted regularly, the payment adjustments would have been less severe and he would have automatically been aware of them before they happened.
  • GrahamOrton
    Options
    If SP change your contract to "your disadvantage", they must inform you by letter or email. Add that to any complaint about DDs. I quote from SP's Standard General Ts and Cs

" Procedure for agreeing changes that are to your disadvantage
    9.9 We may ask you to agree to an increase in your price or a change in your terms that is to
    your disadvantage. If we do this, we will give you advance notice of the proposed change,
    including the effective date, and ask you to agree to it. The notice will be in writing or by
    email. You will not be obliged to accept that proposed change. "

and

"Notices under the Agreement
    15.4 Our notices to you will be:
    15.4.1 in writing and delivered by hand or post to you at the Premises; and/or
    15.4.2 in respect of an Online Energy Service Agreement, sent to you at the email address
    you have provided, or such other email address as you may notify to us for this
    purpose. "
  • GrahamOrton
    Options
    See also Facebook page "Scottish Power Name and Shame"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business