All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful

Options

Comments

• mumblingtaff
    mumblingtaff Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tickets dropped off, parents phoned, house cleaned, bins sorted and bedding changed. All nice and clean again and ready to come home to.
    Two loads of washing done too so there's no dirty laundry left either.

Had a fairly constructive day, bearing in mind it's New Years Day and I would usually be wallowing on the sofa with a box of chocolates ;)

Going to watch an episode or two of Designated Survivor (almost at the end now), have a nice soak in the bath and relax until I go over to OHs later.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happy new year MT, enjoy your trip! :)
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Morning all!
    Up quite early today as we're setting off at 9.30 and I have a few things to do first.
    Had a day sticking to the 1200 cal allowance yesterday and had no booze at all. Slept a bit better too.
    Had a sneaky weigh in on the scales this morning to see whether running, less alcohol and being more sensible with food since the 28th was making any difference and, to my surprise, I've lost 1.5lbs - not a bad start considering New Years Eve was in the middle of it. It's given me a incentive to try to be sensible while away - I'm not going to court calories while away but just try to make healthy choices with food and not go bonkers with alcohol.

Better get the dry washing put away, my bag packed and the dog's bag sorted and whip him round the block.
  • Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    Happy New year MT

Your Christmas sounded lovely.
    I shall enjoy following your progress on your new goals too, a lot of them are similar to mine so you should help give me a boost.

Take care

SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Had a lovely few days away with lots of fresh air, tons of walking and good food and wine, with a hotel upgrade thrown in for free.

Unfortunately, arrived home to a burgled house and stolen car. The last 24 hours have been spent with police, CSI, window fitters, insurance companies and hire car people.
    Not a great start to the year.
    The whole house has been ransacked and every drawer and cupboard searched through and ending up on the floor. Strangely, not too much has been taken apart from the car and the police believe that I was broken into for the car keys and documentation, which they took.....
    Two broken windows, glass everywhere and filthy footprints throughout the house :(
    It's taken all day to get straight again and I'm just boarded up not repaired yet as the glass needs to be ordered. It's been awful. Someone going through all of your house in minute detail is horrific and I've never experienced anything quite like it.

But, nobody got hurt - they can help themselves to my car as its insured and I'll get a new one eventually and the things they've taken can be replaced. I'll admit that a few evil thoughts have crossed my mind today though.....

To top it all, my family are arriving in the next half hour to fly off on holiday tomorrow- could totally do without that today.....

Looking forward to bed and starting a new day tomorrow.
  • HMRC100
    HMRC100 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    So sorry to read about the burglary... but perhaps if you didn't tell the whole world what you are doing and when you are doing it, so to speak, then the risk of such things happening would be massively reduced.
  • DD265
    edited 6 January 2019 at 2:45AM
    Options
    That is unfair, and of absolutely no help to MT. I fail to see how, unless you know MT in 'real life' to be able to recognise them from any details in posts, you could know exactly which property would be vacant.

I'm really sorry MT. I hope things get sorted out quickly for you.
  • triple_choc_chip
    triple_choc_chip Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    edited 6 January 2019 at 11:44AM
    Options
    HMRC100 wrote: »
    So sorry to read about the burglary... but perhaps if you didn't tell the whole world what you are doing and when you are doing it, so to speak, then the risk of such things happening would be massively reduced.

Do you always leap upon an opportunity to kick someone while they’re down? It’s really not the time for a lecture. And it’s highly unlikely that the burglars are avid readers of MSE dfw forums!

I’ve been burgled in the past MT; it’s a miserable experience and I hope you can get over it quickly and feel safe again in your home, that’s so important when you live alone.
    Debt Free 🍾 since 6.8.13 £31,997
    Saving for🎄Xmas ☃️ 🎁 2024 £107/£365 29.3%
    6 mth 🆘 fund £6k
    Mortgage offset fund £6.9k/£62.3k
    It turns out the answer to my problems wasn’t at the bottom of this tub of ice-cream, 🍨 but the important thing is that I tried...
  • mumblingtaff
    Options
    Thank you DD and Triplechoc - I'm feeling much better now after a good nights sleep. I've since found out that there was a spate of similar break ins in my area last week so there's a number of us that have been targeted - all for cars :(
    Mine was in broad daylight too.....

Visitors have gone off to the airport now too so it's just me and the dogs.
    Have taken them to the park, been for a run (determined to not let recent events get me down and spoil my plans) and done a tesco shop and put petrol in the hire car. Just enough for the work week as I'm not sure how long I'll have it for, depending on if my car is recovered (unlikely) and when I can order a new one. Both the home insurance and car insurances have been excellent, sending someone within 15 mins to board things up and providing a decent hire car the same day. Can't complain about their services so far.

Going for brunch at OHs and will spend the afternoon there then come home to walk the dogs and do some work......urgghhh!!
    Back to school tomorrow, and I'm on a 6 week countdown to the next week off ;)

Life goes on - onwards and upwards...... :)
  • DD265
    Options
    I'm glad you're feeling better today MT, hopefully they won't take too long to turn things around. I might be wrong but if the same people targeted multiple cars, it could make them easier to catch!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure