🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Options

Comments

• mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    although it will end up costing you a few quid extra, you can pay car tax by monthly standing order, which will free up some of the lump sum you need now. Also means one less thing to worry about remembering (but at £10 a year is that too expensive?)

Robbing Peter to pay Paul it maybe, but think how smooth your floors will be as you cry all the way to the piggy bank

You can also do that for your car insurance, but that is much much more expensive so I don't recommend it
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    mark88man wrote: »
    although it will end up costing you a few quid extra, you can pay car tax by monthly standing order, which will free up some of the lump sum you need now. Also means one less thing to worry about remembering (but at £10 a year is that too expensive?)

Robbing Peter to pay Paul it maybe, but think how smooth your floors will be as you cry all the way to the piggy bank

You can also do that for your car insurance, but that is much much more expensive so I don't recommend it
    Thanks Mark88, you make good points as always.

But, as I don’t know what my future is work-wise I am trying hard to avoid any unnecessary monthly payments from my account. I find all the bits and pieces add up leaving me with less than I would like! I’ve got a few months to get the money together so I’m going to see if I can do the floor and make the car costs too. March should be an opportunity to save quite a bit as I’ll be away on my retreat for a few weeks and all is being paid.

It would be so nice to bring that room back into use so I am going to give it my best shot :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I had a dream that I put £140 petrol into my car and the petrol overflowed. Haha. Not sure what that means! ;)

Drudge
    Done
    Washing done and out drying
    A little bit of ironing
    Dishes wrestled and reduced (but not over)
    To do
    Dining table cleared and cleaned
    Clean bathroom

Meal planning
    Halloumi, sun dried tomatoes and lentil salad
    Chicken salad

I have lots of soup in the freezer so lunches are covered
    I have lots of veggies
    I’ve got a block of tofu. I’m not crazy about tofu but I will find a recipe and use it up.

The only things I need to buy are cheap sources of good protein: eggs and turkey legs. I also need fruits but none of that is urgent so it can wait until tomorrow.

FROG
    My work pays for some health costs but I need to chase a receipt to post to get £50 back. This is important as it can go towards my car costs, so must do today.

I am off now to start my creative project

Have a good day everyone :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are on fire DIA! Tasks are being ticked off all over the place :)

Glad you've been productive in the creative front - I bet it gives you a bit more leeway/ more of a sigh of relief to be making progress.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    You are on fire DIA! Tasks are being ticked off all over the place :)

Glad you've been productive in the creative front - I bet it gives you a bit more leeway/ more of a sigh of relief to be making progress.
    Thanks Homegrown. Relief is the right word! I'm leaving the house to get another good result today. The funny thing is I enjoy it once I get going ;)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Another week grinds to an end. Pinch, punch, 1st of the month.

Happy St David’s day to the Welsh!

The floor man has been to quote. I like him so I hope he gives me a reasonable quote so I can use him.

I’ve just emailed to get a receipt sent so I can get my £50 health costs reimbursed.

I have done a bit of ironing

Dishes washed (not completely cleared again)

I have no eggs left so I’m making porridge with gluten free oats and almond milk. I prefer a protein breakfast but I’ll use what I have.

I had halloumi last night and even though it was sheep’s cheese it did not 100% agree with me. I’ll pick up some more suitable proteins sources today.

I am off to the Swedish store to work from there today. I will pick up shopping on the way home.

Have a good day everyone.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you work in the cafe, or do you find your a model room/office that suits your mood and work from there until they move you along :-)
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    mark88man wrote: »
    Do you work in the cafe, or do you find your a model room/office that suits your mood and work from there until they move you along :-)
    Cafe for me. Works really well. The seats are not made to linger so a 4 hour stretch is as much as I can do but that is fine. Have a good day.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Is there a deadline for the creative project?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 50% through my pb challenge.
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also like working in a cafe for a while - the buzz and the background noise helps me to focus on what I'm doing and I surprisingly have less distractions. Haven't done that for a while now!

Hope the £50 health refund will put a nice dent in the upcoming car costs.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills