We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Private plate number spacing

Comments

• dave_105
    dave_105 Posts: 6 Forumite
    the plates are not legal if wrongly spaced and you can get a fine and the number plates can be taken away.also on an MOT plate's are checked and it will fail. so making the car unroadworthy.and if it's unroadworthy it has no insurance..... no insurance it can be crushed.is it worth it ..... I do not think so!
  • gollum007
    gollum007 Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Deastons wrote: »
    Here we go again. What is it with people on this forum picking on minor details that aren't actually relevant to the point?

You'll notice I said "something like" not "exactly this". All I remember is it made some reference to him having large testicles.

But the point is that it was illegal, he'd been stopped several times before, admitted he'd taken no action to change it and wouldn't this time, and still got let off with no punishment.

I was also amazed how long she argued with him. It should just be "You have an illegal plate, here's a £100 fine, I have a card machine in the car so you can pay now" and that should be it.

I see so many illegal plates that I assume the police just don't care.

I remember the episode in question.
    Police Interceptors S07E08.

Numberplate was B16 BOL, with a dodgy 6 making it look like a G.
    Silver VW Touareg, driver claimed he'd been doing it for 18 years.

Not going to link to the episode, by you can find it on some of the iffy streaming sites if you look hard enough.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    dave_105 wrote: »
    the plates are not legal if wrongly spaced and you can get a fine and the number plates can be taken away.also on an MOT plate's are checked and it will fail. so making the car unroadworthy.and if it's unroadworthy it has no insurance..... no insurance it can be crushed.is it worth it ..... I do not think so!

Rubbish .
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,474 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Name Dropper 100 Posts
    dave_105 wrote: »

If it has no MOT then the insurer may be able to avoid or reduce any payment under comprehensive cover for damage to that vehicle.

What they cannot do is void the 3rd party element of the policy, so no insurance offence is committed, and the car cannot be crushed.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    gollum007 wrote: »
    But not actually mis-spaced, then? Just a yellow screwcap through the 6, where a black one should be?

(And hands up who really thinks BOL "looks like" BALLS? It could be construed as being the first three characters of an eight character word, if you were particularly desperate, I s'pose)
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Thong x

?
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2018 at 6:55PM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    But not actually mis-spaced, then? Just a yellow screwcap through the 6, where a black one should be?

(And hands up who really thinks BOL "looks like" BALLS? It could be construed as being the first three characters of an eight character word, if you were particularly desperate, I s'pose)

I never said it was mis-spaced, just illegal.
    neilmcl wrote: »
    So in other words you made it up for effect.
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Sounds like a load of B4LLS to me
    So 8 digits on a number plate?

I'll wait for your apologies for calling me a liar...
  • Deastons wrote: »

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

take a day off :p
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I see illegally spaced plates all the time.
    But I was once watching one of those police shows where the guy had a plate that somehow said "BIG BALLS".
    gollum007 wrote: »
    I remember the episode in question.
    <pauses, looks up a bit, re-reads>

Apart from the minor detail that nobody actually explicitly did, there's the minor detail that you... well... didn't exactly hit the gospel truth, now did you?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

It didn’t spell big balls as you were two digits short.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.