NST April 2018: April Fool's Challenge

Options

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am grateful for getting out and about with dd, for ibuprofen gel + heat packs, for getting another bagful to the charity shop, for the trees getting all fuzzy, for dh having some extra work, for aldee stocking their cheap big packs of bacon again, for the library, for dd's crafting skills (she made a beautiful dress for one of her sylvan1an fam1lies creatures), for a dry day.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    NSD 9/18 here. Amazed as I had to go to the city for a meeting, I had assumed I'd end up with an expensive decaf coffee at least. Why all London terminals have to have more shops than my local towns do, I have no idea - if I worked there I suspect I would struggle with temptation...

Anyway! Dinner was a jacket potato and cheese. If I'd served that to hubby he would have asked what's for mains and puds but I was happy with it, probably only cost a few pence too :)

Thank you thrifty for the daff advice, I may try it on the saddest looking ones.

Grateful for: stress free travelling today and my own bit of resolve in avoiding all the shops!
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    :T
    dolly84 wrote: »
    laurenh1 - well done on your weight loss.

mothernerd - your holiday sounded rather stressful, hope your mum is OK now.

swimminginaseaofdebt - your sons vacuum cleaner reminded me of when my DS had one, he was about 2 at the time and so cute, I was quite teary remembering it.

foxholes/dancingdragons
    - I think the constant grey skies are not helping our moods at the moment - we need some sunshine.

thrifty - hope you get your money back for the tyre, and why on earth do you have to pay extra for a car seat, it should be a free add on as they are essential safety items.

Got back last night from our trip to Edinburgh. It was lovely and we all thoroughly enjoyed it but it was not at all :money:, we went up by train, stayed in a hotel, put the dog in kennels and that's before we even started eating out and visiting places. We did take in quite a lot of free things too.

Bits of the holiday were stressful, but we still had lots of fun. It's why I am there, mum just couldn't do it if she was on her own. Community nurse has been again today and left us more supplies but leave it alone mostly.

Long day and an early start. Nurse has been known to come before 9am and I did another bulk shop before going. Relaxed after she had gone, me on the couch, mum lay on her bed and had a little nap. Made lunch and called for a taxi to take me to my therapist appointment.

Another good session, went through my diary for the week (have to write down every 2 hours with my mood, happiness as a percentage and levels of achievement and enjoyment. Did a longer stay in the bath (practicing mindfulness) and may try a ritual bathing thing this week.

Taxi home (cost £2.30, bus would have been £2.20 and still the town hall square and the car park to cross), think mum's money covers it so a NSD (it would be medical anyway). So grateful to be back on the bed.

Relaxed this afternoon and have just downloaded a load of Doctor Who chibis to make a baby afghan blanket - DS1's fiancee is a fellow whovian. Now have 3 days at home to make a start on sorting things out. Starting with my bed - going to make a plan and schedule some things in for the next 3 days. Will meal plan to the end of the month and work on the accounts (have mum's tax return to do as well as my own).

Today I am grateful for my therapist, the community nurse, for mum continuing to improve, for taxis (really could not have walked today), for shopping trolleys to lean on, for sunshine and flowers, for sleep and an early night.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • swimminginaseaofdebt
    Options
    Evening everyone,

Woke up at 5.45am this morning, pottered about the house until it was an acceptable time to put a wash on which got hung inside.

Walked with the little one to free playgroup and passed by the supermarket on the way back to pick up a few things. Spends for the month are now at £175.19/£350.

Little one fell asleep so managed to grab some lunch in peace followed by a shower.

Received £7.34 from survey payouts today bringing my extra income to £20.92/£93.

Sent the £7.34 to my holiday savings which stands at £315.92/£500.

Hit the cashout levels for onepoll and yougov so that'll be £75 winging it's way to me next month.

Sister texted me this evening and we've made plans to take the kids swimming tomorrow. Mines has never been before but need to get him used to the water before our holiday. Have checked out the prices online and it shouldn't be too expensive thankfully.

Have also made plans to go for lunch with a colleague this Wed coming. We'll be eating from a set menu so hoping to keep spends here around £10.

Have started reading the new Carole Matthews book today, it's got a pretty cover and I usually enjoy reading her books.

Today I am grateful for the ability to generate extra income online.
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A - 7/15 Was a spend day. Top up food shop and bingo.
    P - Done.
    R - Done.
    I - Read some of a book and wordsearch.
    L - Nothing done today.
    F - Did bits of walking around today.
    O - Done.
    O - Still ongoing.
    L - Ok with social media today.
    S - Grateful for:
    Went to bingo, had good company.
    Achieving as much as I could as I was tired.
    For an afternoon nap.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply, you won't lose a NSD for ys items, petrol or medical expenses. Now 6/15 NSDs

Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. Added up March's expenses - horrifying is the word. Still need to split up cc spends to see what went where. Now have cc statement ready to total. Will need to use savings to pay for hols..in 10 days time! Receipts earmarked for tomorrow, should have no interruptions, silly me, of course there were interruptions. Will try tonight.

Report in every day. The daily support from this thread will keep you on track Here again..12/30

Interests - is there any hobbies that you'd like to take up or perhaps an old hobby that you'd like to start again. This is the month to do it, let us know what you plan to do Have 2 so far - collecting hobby I have & someone got in touch to buy something connected to it - 4 years ago!! She got back in touch 2 weeks ago, have emailed her today & will attempt to find the item she wants...it's win-win as it will be money for savings too. Also, have Fairisle cushion to finish, usually do mindless knitting in front of TV, this doesn't come under that so never gets done. Finally retrieved fairisle cushion from back of chair where it was stuffed; realise to my shame haven't touched it in 18 months..despite that managed to find my place in the pattern & actually do a couple of rows. Bless highlighter tape!! Finally managed to identify all the different colours of the wool - hard when they are called irrelevant names & are missing the ball bands - only to realise I am missing a colour. Shan't need it until almost the end, might just use what I have left over. Still not looked for item, must do tomorrow. Looked for item in room of Doom but still not located it/them. Did at least try to find this stuff. Found a box with some items, but I need the bigger ones. Keep on looking!

Love yourself, do something to make yourself feel fab - wear a bright scarf, get your eyebrows done, have a bath, put on your fave perfume. Nothing today.

Find time to get outside. Lighter nights are now here so get out in the garden, go for a walk. Fresh air is good for everyone. Out in garden this morning for an hour, more clearing & put stone chippings on path, looks tons better. Though did use 2 bags already, really need to use a third. If only it would stop raining...

Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. It's up to you how you do this - overtime at work, saving money on the food bill, selling items. Will deffo try, will be in the form of selling collectibles or ebaying. WIP.

Organise your month. Check your cupboards, make a meal plan and stick to your food budget. Plan any social events and budget for them, ideally come up with free alternatives. Will do, need to reduce freezer stocks. Made meatloaf to use up pork mince, very tasty & also good cold.

[/COLOR]Lose one bad habit. Mine's is a food related one but it can be anything you like. No snacking between meals. No snacking to speak of today.

Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes. Grateful for: Lovely robin at the window today, progress on clearing rubbish, getting to groom one dog twice today, dog lady able to come & let dogs out when DD is on day shift..Beautiful camellias in bloom can see from kitchen window.
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A very spendy day yesterday as I went into Bristol to sort out a few things. The main thing to be sorted was the children's rainbow accounts which were opened by their grandma when they were born. Kids have since grown up, grandma toddled off and the bank branch involved has closed. Getting the money back for the kids has turned into a saga that has gone on for well over a year.

Plenty of walking around involved yesterday and a long read in a coffee shop.

Grateful for a bank employee who decided that the best thing to do was to start again from scratch and spent over a hour working on the accounts for me. Also grateful for friendly people.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For yesterday

NSDs - 7/15
    Report - 12/30
    Interests - went for a walk
    Love - used a matching body lotion and perfume, went out for tea with my dad and gran so wore a nice outfit and makeup
    Outside - lovely morning so enjoyed a walk in the sunshine
    Overpay - nothing paid
    Organise - nothing here
    Bad habit - no crisps
    Gratitudes - sunshine, a day off, spending time with my dad and gran
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply, - Still 4/15
    Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. - ok (done)
    Report in every day. ok
    Interests -- am going to ease myself back into fitness this month and read more -running total -2 walks, 4 books.
    Love yourself - using up face creams etc (micellar water, serums) on a daily basis - hoping my skin will benefit :)-

Find time to get outside. - - nope,
    Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. - 6 items listed on flebay to help with this. Put an extra £250 to the savings acct for final pymt on OH's car - 4 things sold on fleabay yesterday for just over £90 before costs so will put money aside for OH's CC. Found £90 of unclaimed expenses from last Nov for OH, so have set that aside as an extra payment for his CC :)
    Organise your month. - DS1's 18th birthday mid month - that's gonna cost...... (all presents now bought/ ordered)
    Lose one bad habit. - a certain game which I've spent waaay too much time on in March.... - not touched it today :) (this has gone very well)
    Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes. - yes :)
    Today I am grateful for:
    * using things up from the fridge
    * baking a yummy lemon 'Victoria sponge'
    * easy dinner
    * brilliant haircut at local barbershop for DS2
    Budgets:
    Food 187.02/450
    Travel 59/ £75
    Gifts (inc cards etc) 8.25/£150
    Toiletries 6/£10
    Cleaning 10.70/ £10 (stocked up on dwasher tabs)
    Social £150 - need to update this with spends from pub last night - 1 round of just 2 drinks
    Clothing 132.60/ £75:o (OH 2 x boots, 1 x coat, DS1 Y13 Leavers Hoody)

Today involves a meeting with IFA to talk pensions and talking to a decorator about painting our kitchen. No plans for spending any money today.. we'll see....
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wasn't able to check in yesterday, but another NSD chalked up. Not much to report. Managing to keep good spends under control which is good! Going to spend today as going to kickboxing later which will cost £10. Haven't been at all this month so looking forward to it.

Today I'm grateful for a very easy drive into work and arriving early which means I'll get to leave early too!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,796 as of 04/24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport