NST April 2018: April Fool's Challenge

Options

Comments

• Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Still 3/15 but I've had a great weekend with friends and I'm going to visit another friend for lunch tomorrow.

Pay to your debt or savings first Keeping up with the penny a day challenge.

Report in every day. hello! Oops.

Interests - Have started an online course.

Love yourself Getting better at remembering the face cream. Perfume every day.

Find time to get outside. Been out and about both days over the weekend

Overpay Wip.

Organise your month done

Lose one bad habit. Getting better about doing things and not putting them off. The kitchen hob has been cleaned.

Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes.
    Grateful for good friends and plenty of places to go. I have everything I need.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just home and caught up with the last few days. Claimimng 2 NSDs as I spent today (on sweets in an old fashioned sweets shop which also had some American sweets - but not DS3 and Beloved's favourites unfortunately. Lovely holiday,, friendly hotel, excellent company and enough adventures for a bagful of hobbits.

At our first stop after getting on the coach (coach waits at a service station and all the people are picked up from home by taxi and taken to meet the coach), mum caught her foot on something as we were getting up from our seats (was only the armrest which was down as far as it could go but mum's skin is so thin). I took her into the toilets to assess the injury- blood was running out of a triangle shaped cut just above her ankle. I said we needed a first aider. A woman gave me a handful of toilet paper to wad against the wound and went for the on site first aiders.

We stopped the bleeding, they dressed the wound, I signed all the paperwork and then we went for soup and hot chocolate - we had taken picnic provisions but a nice sit down with soup and chocolate seemed appropriate. One of the first aiders brought me a spare dressing and bandage and I told the driver who asked if she needed to see someone when we got to the hotel. She declined.

Despite taking our time, all the bedrooms were not ready when we arrived (some guests were still checking out). Our group settled in the lounge and the bar and some went out for a bracing walk. When it was quieter, I went to the desk and asked for help. Because mum's ankle was swollen water had been seeping from the wound, her trouser bottoms and her shoe were sodden. I asked for old towels to put under it and I used a magazine to protect the carpet. The receptionist found towels and more dressings and asked about A & E (in Blackpool).

Our room was one of the last 3 to be ready. We went up in the lift and into the room. Mum went to the loo and then I noticed strange bags on a chair. Told mum to wait there but a young hotel worker met me as I got to the door with a different key. We hobbled back to the lift, went one floor up, opened that door, more strange bags.

The young assistant took us round a corner where there were some steps and told us to sit down whilst she ran back down to reception (she had already scooped up some extra towels for us). When she came abck she had the key for a nearby room (not our intended room, I think we got an upgrade, she must have told them we could not hobble round any more) and I settled mum on her bed. Our bags arrived shortly after. We had a rest and a nap before dinner.

I said it was okay if mum wanted to stay close to the hotel rather than go on the following day's trip but after a good night's sleep (we were both asleep shortly after 10pm) and a change of dressing she felt able to go. We were dropped off at Albert Dock. I was interested in the Beatles experience but hteir lift was broken and when I made enquiries they said they would be worried in case mum could not get out if there was a fire (I ahd to walk down the steps one at a time holding onto the rail).

I took mum to get a meal, intending that I would go back when she was settled and return before she finished eating but we chose somewhere offering fish and chips and we both had that (absolutely gorgeous and huge fish) and another hot chocolate (I think I have used next winter's ration of hot chocolate). We sat there sated and very relaxed.

After a while we continued, spent some time in the Museum of slavery (historic and modern day slavery were covered) and lots of examples of traditional african culture including house building and decorating, fabrics, carvings, jewellery and metal work. We did the full circuit of the dock and looked at all the boats before going to the coach pick up point. I refused several offers from mum, to buy me something (Beatles mug, warm shawl)

Mum fancied an ice cream, we had one each sitting on a bench facing another part of the dock, watching boys in wetsuits standing on raft type things, paddling. A monster seagull landed on the edge nearest the water (about 6 feet away). Next thing he swooped and stole mum's ice cream (she tried to hold on and lost). Four other birds mobbed him so he swallowed it whole, we could see the lump in his throat.

Another member of our group joined us, I gave her my spare shopping bag as the bench was still wet from earlier rain. We were also entertained by a one man band and by a man serenading passers by from his boat (we missed the story telling session).

Back to the hotel for a rest, a beautiful meal, more rest (we gave up on X-men) we went to sleep. Mum fell? slid out of bed at quarter past midnight. The thump woke me up. her bed was very soft and had a bit of a slant. She had moved near to the edge and slid off. Took a while to get her up.

She was content to sleep in the armchair when I got her that far (she had given the knee of her uninjured leg a whack and it swelled rapidly) but I said if I could not get her onto the bed, I was going downstairs to find someone to help me. I insisted she had the big bed and I put pillows and cushions on either side + a cold flannel on the knee (with plastic bags to stop it wetting the bed clothes).

Later on I thought she was moving nearer to the edge, so I folded my duvet and put it on the floor next to her bed, just in case (room was very hot, I made it bearable by opening 2 windows as wide as they would go and haven't slept under the covers all weekend.

This morning we took a taxi into St Annes town centre to but more water for me and more dressings and supplies for mum (who is still not keen on going even to see our own doctor and certainly not to A & E/ walk in centre). Unfortunately the pharmacist had not turned up at Boots and they are leagally unable to open unless a pharmacist was present (who's going to study law - this is an important/ famous you will have to learn). I bought some things (antiseptic cream, the right sort of dressings to stick over the wound and a cold sprsy for pain relief on the knee (and shoulder and wrist this evening) but no bandages (+ need more support bandages so that's on the new shopping list).

So lots of fun and excitement and we may book for the 4/5 days in LLandudno in a couple of weeks. Mum gave me £100 at the start of the weekend and I gave her what was left this evening, the only thing I paid for was the sweets.

I am supposed to be having a day off tomorrow, have told mum not to do too much and if she feels like staying in bed, do so (get lots of rest either way). If I wake up at a reasonable time I will go to pick up my prescription, ask to speak to one of the doctors or the practice nurse, explain what she has done and if there is anything I should watch out for or if I need to drag her there, kicking and screaming (if she can kick she's getting better, right).

Today I am grateful for surviving the weekend, that we could deal with any injuries, for all the lovely places we have seen, all the flowers and animals (a few babies on the way back), for all the people who have helped us and the people we have eaten with and shared lifts and chats with.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply, you won't lose a NSD for ys items, petrol or medical expenses. Shopped today so still 4/15 NSDs

Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. Added up March's expenses - horrifying is the word. Still need to split up cc spends to see what went where. Now have cc statement ready to total. Will need to use savings to pay for hols..in 10 days time! Nothing financial today.

Report in every day. The daily support from this thread will keep you on track Here again..8/30

Interests - is there any hobbies that you'd like to take up or perhaps an old hobby that you'd like to start again. This is the month to do it, let us know what you plan to do Have 2 so far - collecting hobby I have & someone got in touch to buy something connected to it - 4 years ago!! She got back in touch 2 weeks ago, have emailed her today & will attempt to find the item she wants...it's win-win as it will be money for savings too. Also, have Fairisle cushion to finish, usually do mindless knitting in front of TV, this doesn't come under that so never gets done. Finally retrieved fairisle cushion from back of chair where it was stuffed; realise to my shame haven't touched it in 18 months..despite that managed to find my place in the pattern & actually do a couple of rows. Bless highlighter tape!! Finally managed to identify all the different colours of the wool - hard when they are called irrelevant names & are missing the ball bands - only to realise I am missing a colour. Shan't need it until almost the end, might just use what I have left over. Still not looked for item, must do tomorrow.

Love yourself, do something to make yourself feel fab - wear a bright scarf, get your eyebrows done, have a bath, put on your fave perfume. Facepack last night whilst ironing, makeup & perfume for visit to s/market.

Find time to get outside. Lighter nights are now here so get out in the garden, go for a walk. Fresh air is good for everyone. Out into garden this afternoon as stayed mercifully dry. Dh did help barrow one load of compost, but got to face it he's just not practical at all. On border no 3 now...must keep going whilst trying to get house in a slight semblance of order.

Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. It's up to you how you do this - overtime at work, saving money on the food bill, selling items. Will deffo try, will be in the form of selling collectibles or ebaying. Still need to look for items for collector.

Organise your month. Check your cupboards, make a meal plan and stick to your food budget. Plan any social events and budget for them, ideally come up with free alternatives. Will do, need to reduce freezer stocks. Will meal plan for days we are here, then stock up for when DD here alone.

[/COLOR]Lose one bad habit. Mine's is a food related one but it can be anything you like. No snacking between meals. A few small Easter eggs eaten with DD - thankfully now all gone - and a piece of a large egg later on..

Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes. Grateful for: Line of washing mainly dry, nice supper mainly cooked by DD, progress outside, a small amount inside also..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • DancingDragons
    Options
    Toni'sFriend - Machines store passwords (if you have that setting, its often default) and some have a cross-reference security. They may still be holding your old info in its memory. As well as the turn of/on again, clear the browser history. See if that helps.

Mothernerd "and enough adventures for a bagful of hobbits." :rotfl:Not sure your break was a break, it sounds as though it was stressful!

KerryWoman
    You're sure to have shiny teeth for months :D:D

Today should be an NSD, like yesterday, we have several trips into the city to make and I haven't budgeted for fuel/train so I'll lose that. (Though this was all happening NEXT week)

Back to school for one of us today, but lots of running about for me. Gratitudes for the day:
    Youth groups and sessions that multi-task, fun and horizon expanding.
    A decent night's sleep.
    Routines.
    Debt Free April 2019:j to July 2019 :( NEW WTC:eek:1,194
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Early check in for today - don't think anything should change :)

Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply, - 4/15 - will have one today - too wet to go anywhere and dinner all from stores
    Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. - ok (done)
    Report in every day. ok
    Interests -- am going to ease myself back into fitness this month and read more -running total -2 walks, 3 books
    Love yourself - using up face creams etc (micellar water, serums) on a daily basis - hoping my skin will benefit :)-

Find time to get outside. - - wet, wet, wet :(
    Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. - 6 items listed on flebay to help with this. Put an extra £250 to the savings acct for final pymt on OH's car - 2 things on fleabay have bids (should net £40)
    Organise your month. - DS1's 18th birthday mid month - that's gonna cost......
    Lose one bad habit. - a certain game which I've spent waaay too much time on in March.... - not touched it today :) (this has gone very well)
    Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes. - yes :)
    Today I am grateful for:
    * DS3 carrying on sorting out in his room - and getting rid of heaps of stuff
    * leftovers being used up on lunches
    * dinners all from stores (various items for the 7 of us here to make sure some things are used up)
    * a lie in - OH got up with DS3, as he was wfh

Budgets:
    Food 128.02/450 (a little ahead of myself, but fridge, cupboards & freezer are groaning)
    Travel £75
    Gifts 6.75/£150
    Toiletries 6/£10
    Cleaning 10.70/ £10 (stocked up on dwasher tabs)
    Social £150
    Clothing 114.60/ £75:o (OH 2 x boots, 1 x coat)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • CosmicZebra
    CosmicZebra Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone
    On NSD 5/15.
    Finances- had a suspicious transaction on my current account- two mysterious DDs appeared and money taken...but the bank sorted it ASAP.
    Outside- to the veg shop with the dog
    Organise- at the beginning of the month I update our calendar so keeping on top of that
    Love yourself- I've always been an enthusiastic member of the 'wine o'clock club'. This is not doing my waistline or my wallet any good. It doesn't help me to unwind anymore as the niggling voice of guilt pipes up every time I have a sip. So, going alcohol-free till the end of the month. Today is A-F day 1/22.
    Gratitudes- helpful bank staff!
    Savings from frugal & simple living:
    Jan ISA& Save Acc £1600 Mort o/paid £250
    Feb ISA&save acc £1330.89 Mort o/paid£500
    March ISA&save ac£811.35 mort o/paid £250
    :j
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mothernerd - sounds like you had an adventure and a half. Hope your mum is ok. And you too. Shame you couldn't get to the beatles stuff.

Today I am grateful for a catchup with a friend whilst the kiddies played, for said friend both picking us up and dropping us back home and feeding us and giving us a huge bags of clothes for dd to go through, for the washing machine, for bacon, for more sorting resulting in 40 items of dd's clothing to go to the ch shop, for getting my KB workout done before my brain could object.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    Following the format since I'm on laptop this evening!

Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply: Still on 6/18. I make no exceptions and today filled the car up, and had to pay for hospital parking (£2 for a 15 minute appointment!)
    Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest: Done
    Report in every day: Not so great at this :o
    Interests: Knitting still in the basket. Not done any pilates for a few days due to heartburn and sickness. Now my pelvis is unhappy again. Need to find a way round this.
    Love yourself: I may have a bath later. Letting myself recover from mad housework weekend. Used crutches to get to all appointments today as I didn't trust my back to stay vertical!

Find time to get outside: Had two long walks from the car to the GP surgery and hospital, which were difficult :(
    Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings: Done - I've also managed to backtrack over my overpaying the credit card and get the money back in my savings
    Organise your month: Almost done, I have a physio appointment to make and one card to buy. Other cards written, addressed, stamped and ready to go in the post later in the month. All midwife appointments made between now and the bitter end and entered onto the calendar.
    Lose one bad habit: I said I wouldn't scoff chocolate whilst hubby is away for the month. I have had some, but not loads. The trick will be whether I can get to the end of the month without buying any!
    Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes: The NHS have been overly thorough with my antenatal care. Being able to work from home. For making myself hang laundry to dry rather than tumble dry.
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Still 3/15. Had lunch with friend which makes it a valuable spendy day. Tomorrow will be a NSD.

Pay to your debt or savings first Keeping up with the penny a day challenge and another 20p to add to the collection. I've got £5.20 now.

Report in every day. Me again!

Interests - Knitting, online course and reading. Just one more week of holiday left :-(

Love yourself Getting better at remembering the face cream. Perfume every day. Will try for make up tomorrow.

Find time to get outside. Not so much walking today. A bit chilly.

Overpay Wip.

Organise your month done - lots to get done.

Lose one bad habit. Getting better about doing things and not putting them off. Ironing tomorrow...

Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes.
    Grateful for opportunities that turn up when they are most needed.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSDs - still on 4. Spent £36 on walking shoes (reduced from £70 :D), £4 on bus fare, £22.91 on car service and £8.68 in supermarket
    Report - 9/30
    Interests - nothing here
    Love - wore some eye makeup and lipstick to work, picked out my fave scarf which is bright yellow with flowers - it always makes me feel summery :D
    Outside - planned to go for a walk after picking up the car from its service but had a headache so decided against it
    Overpay - £2.12 paid to the debt
    Organise - nothing done here
    Bad habit - caved and bought crisps :(
    Gratitudes - lovely sunny day, shiny clean car and getting away from work on time for once
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10796.88/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1538.77/£2000 (76.9% saved).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure