We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Mileage on a 17 Year Old Audi

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2018 at 8:51PM
    Toyota MR2/Celica
    Chrysler Crossfire/Merc slk
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• mr_munchem
    mr_munchem Posts: 102 Forumite
    I think I'll have to find a lot to test drive!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 10 Posts
    fatrab wrote: »
    Toyota MR2/Celica
    Chrysler Crossfire/Merc slk

MR2 & Celica. Good calls - however the MR2 is extremely unpractical, but incredible fun. We ran one for 3 years. And we ran a Celica for three years too actually.

Crossfire is fairly poor. SLK ok if you want a convertible but not a big pile of fun
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic Second Anniversary
    almillar, I'm afraid you're flogging a dead horse. I know 3 folk who owned them and you need to tickle them to get anywhere near 20mpg. Mid teens in the real world.

Fair enough if that's their experience. I was commuting and still managed 20. It's important not to overpromise MPG, as if they buy it, they'll br trying to drive economically, and never enjoying the car. My experience of the RX-8 is that it doesn't reward economical driving, and also doesn't punish driving hard - an ideal car to drive fast! 20 MPG is OK at 8-10,000 miles.
    Some of them, not all but quite a high percentage, need topped up with oil every time they're fueled up.

Checked every time, not necessarily topped up. Very rarely topped up for me. And it's by design, not a fault, like other cars.
    that is not normal nor is it acceptable to your average motorist. It's a shame as they're such nice cars aesthetically.

Indeed, but it's the engine and handling that are the best parts IMO.
    I think the Audi probably gets the practicality marks, the MX5 the outright fun marks?

OP wants a sensible boot, which immediately wipes out the MX-5 (a lovely car) IMO.
    Toyota MR2/Celica

Celica's a great car, get a 190 engine, not 140. Does well practicality wise too. MR2 fails on the boot again.
  • mr_munchem
    Clearly not an easy decision - I'll see what's around. Shame the snow means it looks like test drives are off this weekend!
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 2 March 2018 at 3:59PM
    motorguy wrote: »
    MR2 & Celica. Good calls - however the MR2 is extremely unpractical, but incredible fun. We ran one for 3 years. And we ran a Celica for three years too actually.

Crossfire is fairly poor. SLK ok if you want a convertible but not a big pile of fun
    Just trying to think outside the box a little. Nearly bought a Crossfire a few years ago, it's just an slk underneath the yank exterior. And it's got a useable boot!

Quite fancy a mk2 MR2 now that I've had a look lol, mate used to have a dark metallic purple one that was lovely.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Had my 2002 celica for 7 1/2 years and wish I had never got rid of it. Far more fun than the Focus ST (both petrol and diesel)
    £2k will get you a decent facelift or limited edition Red or Blue editions. but watch out if you are over 6 foot and don't get the sunroof version.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • mr_munchem
    Indout96 wrote: »
    Had my 2002 celica for 7 1/2 years and wish I had never got rid of it. Far more fun than the Focus ST (both petrol and diesel)
    £2k will get you a decent facelift or limited edition Red or Blue editions. but watch out if you are over 6 foot and don't get the sunroof version.
    Ha! Unfortunately I'm 6'6"!
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite

Then I'm afraid you'll find an MX5 challenging!
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • mr_munchem
    iolanthe07 wrote: »

Then I'm afraid you'll find an MX5 challenging!
    I thought that, and I don't fit in a TT either - time to be more sensible I guess...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.