NST March: Marching to a different beat

Options

Comments

• Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Toni's friend remember to let friends, relatives and neighbours know he's got his own place - will probably be inundated with offers of furniture. Problem is turning down the ones he doesn't want.
    Thanks, Mothernerd. I will do that. I know I have quite a lot of things he can have to be going on with. Just looking them out to freshen up and pack away for him. He's actually very lucky. The people he is buying from are about to retire and downsize so they are leaving him all the white goods plus the flat is in walk in condition. Neutral colours and needing no decoration so it'll do him for a while until he wants to change things. That will probably be never. I've started your suggestion of a "useful box". Isn't amazing the little things you take for granted. I keep adding things to those you suggested - a torch, candles, matches - it goes on and on. Thanks again for that.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Toni'sFriend - it all sounds very exciting for your son, I hope he settles in well.

DancingDragons/LavenderBee
    - do you have a link to the washable pads, I've looked into them but wasn't sure how reliable the ones I looked at were plus they were very expensive.

Having a grocery shop delivered today, it was quite expensive but some things are not weekly purchases so that's ok.

Have done a bit of a batch cook this afternoon of some chicken breast, cous cous flavoured with coriander and turmeric, slightly soft hard boiled eggs also done a carrot cake flavoured pot of overnight oats, there was supposed to be cinnamon in which I love but am allergic to (only for the last couple of years but it is quite spectacular) so I have replaced with ginger.

Was offered another temp job starting today, tomorrow and tuesday to friday next week but it is full time and I can't leave the kids home all that time during the holidays so sadly had to turn it down.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How did you all get on with losing an hour last night?

I lost two hours :(, one going to Germany and then the clocks going fwd that same night, had to get up at 6 to get a train :eek:. Not a happy rested bunny that night.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Toni'sFriend - it all sounds very exciting for your son, I hope he settles in well.
    Thank you, Dolly. He had a really hard time a few year's ago. Suffered from depression and could barely get out of bed. He's done so well (with an enormous amount of help from the medical profession and some great friends) and has come out the other side. Moved back in with us, has a job he loves and is very good at and has now achieved his ambition to buy his own place. I am so very proud of him. I truly feel for anyone who suffers from depression, having seen it first hand. It's a much misunderstood condition but I hope this will show that it can be conquered.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 March 2018 at 6:51PM
    Options
    Hugs for those in need of them.
    Grateful for:
    NSD 20/18
    Got home at a reasonable time.
    Glad to home after a stressful afternoon at work.
    Was told that I will be back at the school after the Easter break. Maybe only for a couple of weeks. They have to advertise for the admin post in the office, as the current lady got offered the other post in the office.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Well I have crashed and burnt. Badly. Time for some damage control. I am aiming not to spend a penny from now until the end of the month to make up for my numbers.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello, yep I volunteered for April and will post it later tonight or tomorrow.

Have really been struggling the last week or so and just haven't felt up to posting but hoping to be feeling better soon.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10796.88/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1538.77/£2000 (76.9% saved).
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Big hugs all round xx
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've put up April's challenge. I'm on my phone so can't post the link.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10796.88/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1538.77/£2000 (76.9% saved).
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    So glad it wasn't supposed to be me. Busy week turned into stuffed full until - whenever? I am supposed to put more structure in but seem to have to be somewhere every day and basic activities are being neglected. Sunday was supposed to be pamper day but is rapidly turning into frantic catch up on all the things that haven't got done. Just checked on one thing and now have to do battle over mum's winter fuel payment tomorrow.

Not usually at mum's tomorrow but she is having her hair permed (Friday is normally hair day) and it has been decided that the hairdresser can cut mine (much needed) during the waiting time. I want to put a few salads and things together for mum and any visitors (freezer is stocked with goodies), put the rest of the raised bed together (need to take 2 more shelves, two more side pieces, roll of weed suppressant fabric, primroses I bought today and mini daffs if I can get back to Wilco's in the morning). Need to buy more bread and milk for mum just in case.

Cleaner should be back tomorrow (possibly with grandchildren but hopefully not the dog in tow). I want to get as much painting (only pots now fencing is being replaced) and possibly put up some hooks in the shed (need to take drill as mum wants me to put two flower baskets on the wall). Fill raised bed with the coir compost to see how much more I need to buy.

On Friday I am going to Chester Zoo. Mum wasn't bothered about going (she watches the programme on tv) so I decided to go alone. Went with school when I was 8 and went with college 11 years ago so looking forward to it. Mum will not be alone as one of her partner's grand-daughters (they think of mum as their grandma as they are the youngest and their own grandmother died before they were born) is going to take her to church and then back to her house for some lunch.

On Saturday I am going to DS1's for a meal. Have to be at Piccadilly gardens by 1.30pm and then await further instructions (another bus ride to darkest Blackley - all I know is it's vaguely Oldham way). Need flowers, house warming present (thinking wooden photo frame or candles but may adopt/ sponsor a wolf for DS1 if the zoo have any). Could do with buying those tomorrow as well. Better set the alarm. Mum has a regular visitor who comes for lunch and tea (sometimes brings it with her but have made sure they have nice cake/ desserts and some options - including things for the children if they come).

Sunday was going to be pamper/rest day (will need it after walking round the zoo and then 4 bus rides plus house inspection) but must do some housework - at least I put a load of washing in the washer this morning. Plus still need to finish the accounts and plan budget for next year.

Bank holiday Monday I am going to mum's, we are planning to put shells on a plant pot (if I can scrape all the old paint off) but hope there are some good films on. Sleeping over because on Tuesday we have an early appointment in Salford. Luckily we have a volunteer driver and should not be too bad as schools are off. I have been told we are going to the Trafford Centre afterwards (last time we went I nearly asked if me and the toddler could be dropped at the lego centre and mum and the driver go to the appointment. Don't know what that is going to cost - driver will probably offer to pay but I don't think it's right for her to pay for me.

Wednesday I am back at crafts - realised how crowded my schedule is when I was going to offer to go in and tidy the cupboard again and then couldn't work out when I had a free day.

Thursday is second appointment with therapist - need to write my list of short term goals andd some baby steps towards them and on Friday mum and I go to St Annes for 3 days. Saturday is an excursion to Albert Dock, neither of us has been for a while but there is a good flat area for mum and her walker, lots to see and do and benches to sit and people watch. We come home after a 3 course meal for Sunday dinner. I want to do an on-line shop to be delived to both our homes but it looks like that would mean doing without a night's sleep.

Mum also has a nail appointment (at home) and I think a visit from lovely nurse (she goes to sort people out when things don't get done).

I may be a cheerleader for April. I need to sort a few things out (diet, exercise, sleep pattern and I may need to spend to achieve some of my goals).

Haven't had time to go and buy a coat - will get shouted at again. Today I am grateful for a lovely craft session - we made an Easter egg tree, used up lots of scraps and some not so nice papers (disguised them with flowers, bunnies etc) and cupboard should be a lot tidier in future. Glad to be feeling peaceful (not stressing about all the 'things that are left undone') and for my bed looking tidier (after several days of sorting/ simplifying/ doing and sorting again). Grateful for reasonable weather, lovely flowers (real and artificial), for not having a panic attack when my photo was taken (put a hat over my face and have not looked at the photo). See you tomorrow turtles (laptop is not well either).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport