MSE News: Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer

Comments

• Speak for yourself. It's not 'all' of the customers. Some of us were very happy with PYOO. They could have made it an alternative that people could opt into, rather than scrapping it.

I agree with the rest of what you say. Anyone unhappy with the rewards scheme should shop elsewhere if Waitrose is not persuaded to relent on this.

See also the MSE News thread entitled Waitrose unveils its new loyalty scheme. (As a new user, I can't post a link here.) Quite a number of people are upset about the change.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2018/02/waitrose-unveils-its-new-loyalty-scheme
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary

Speak for yourself. It's not 'all' of the customers. Some of us were very happy with PYOO. They could have made it an alternative that people could opt into, rather than scrapping it.

I agree with the rest of what you say. Anyone unhappy with the rewards scheme should shop elsewhere if Waitrose is not persuaded to relent on this.

See also the MSE News thread entitled Waitrose unveils its new loyalty scheme. (As a new user, I can't post a link here.) Quite a number of people are upset about the change.

I think you missed the sarcasm.........:)
  • Buggins
    Buggins Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know if picks are still ok this w/e and can you still get a free newspaper? Have tried website to no avail....
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 February 2018 at 9:06PM
    Buggins wrote: »
    Does anyone know if picks are still ok this w/e and can you still get a free newspaper? Have tried website to no avail....

PYO last day is 28th Feb
    Newspaper offer is not changing.
    http://www.waitrose.com/home/mywaitrose/pick-your-own.html
  • I think you missed the sarcasm..

I did, up till the moment I posted! So I went and edited in an apology for the idiotic and senile oversight :o, but you appear to have picked up my reply before that....:doh:

Sorrymost,
    AtP
  • Is there any way there could be a campaign to persuade Waitrose to continue the 'pick your own offers?' When Tesco said it would change the Clubcard scheme, they postponed it due to public response. Could similar pressure put on Waitrose to reconsider?

I love the scheme and I don't find it confusing. Friends also aren't confused. I frequently receive emails from Waitrose asking about instore service but they have don't ask if I like the pick your own offers.

I have the app on my phone - Waitrose normally has wifi - so I can check very quickly if an item is within the offer before I get to the tills.
    13-02-2018 9:35 AM

I agree entirely, but I doubt they will relent, though they may ultimately repent! FWIW, here is what I am just emailing to the Managing Director and one or two others:
    "I will keep this brief in the hope it will get read and actioned quickly.

I hate to see my favourite supermarket throw away a competitive advantage when an alternative is available. With about three weeks’ notice, you have stated an intention to close down the Pick Your Own Offers (PYOO) loyalty scheme from 28 Feb. Even if your research is accurate that most of your customers find it confusing, and even if the majority – as you appear to think – would prefer that Waitrose itself pick the customer offers on their behalf, the fact is that those who do like the PYOO scheme like it very much, and you are now alienating a great number of them. To see that, you need only look at these two discussion threads on the Money-Saving Expert boards:
    [Links to the Waitrose to scrap "confusing" offer and "Waitrose unveils its new loyalty scheme" MSE News threads]

The alternative? Give the customers a choice! Now there’s radical! Yes, keep the Pick Your Own Offers system for those customers that wish to opt in for it, and have Waitrose pick the offers for those who prefer you to think for them.

What you have chosen to do instead is to throw out the baby with the bathwater, by providing something no better than the other big stores do.

One big reason that I moved from shopping elsewhere to buying at Waitrose was the irritating frequency with which I received offers for things I did not want to buy, or things I did not need at that particular time, whereas with PYOO at Waitrose, I was in control. I can see that others feel the same.

That’s it. I suspect that by this time you are unlikely to change tack, and that you have already made the arrangements to dispense with the infrastructure and staff used to maintain the PYOO scheme, thereby relegating yourselves to the ranks of Tesco and Sainsbury’s as far as offer schemes go."
  • Tigger1000
    Tigger1000 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's now over a month since we got the coupons for their new "scheme". I used what I could, and binned the rest.

But has ANYONE had any more coupons??
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    Winnie the Pooh
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Tigger1000 wrote: »
    It's now over a month since we got the coupons for their new "scheme". I used what I could, and binned the rest.

None - but our Waitrose is looking emptier and emptier, while Aldi and Lidl (a short distance away) are busier and busier.

I see very bad times ahead for Waitrose.

Waitrose large organic eggs (6) £2.75
    Lidl large organic eggs (6) £1.29

How long before that sort of thing sinks in?
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Tigger1000 wrote: »

Not me. I'm glad you posted, as I was wondering whether I'd forgotten to tick a box or something.

I had very random ones like "tinned vegetables" (I can only imagine because I stocked up on tinned tomatoes while they were on offer the month before) and was hoping for something a bit more useful this time. But maybe there won't be a "this time"!

Can't say I'm that bothered, on past experience. Their approach to personalised offers seems to generally be the same as my ex-MIL's attitude to Christmas presents: "I've noticed you have never shown any interest in [item], so I've bought you some".

"Our records show that you come in a couple of times a week and spend 30p-£3. Based on your purchases you live alone, don't have a set routine, and like to decide on the night what you're going to have for tea. So... here are four vouchers, each giving you £4 off a £40 spend, to be used in the next month."
  • caroc
    caroc Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2018 at 8:46PM
    Waitrose whole leg of new zealand lamb 11.99 per kilo. abt £25 on average the leg. Asda whole leg of new zealand lamb normally £6.95 per kilo, currently £4.97 per kilo. the leg costing £10- 11 same lamb, nearly double the price. Got an asda one last weekend, it was delicious, tender and not too fatty.
    Still virtually alcohol free since 4/1/15. (10 Xmas/ New Year/Birthday drinks)
    It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound in weight. Target 13 lbs weight loss. 18.5lbs lost 2nd May - 28 September.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback