Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

My journey to a debt free life

in Debt free diaries
7.1K replies 388.2K views

Replies

• OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's not been a good day today so I'm off to bed with some painkillers. I actually did some food shopping today and cooked a cottage pie for tea,I've been living on sandwich's for the last few weeks because I couldn't motivate myself to cook anything. I'm working 9-5 tomorrow and dreading it if today's pain levels are anything to go by. I'm hoping for a stress free shift but work is not very stress free at  the moment. We had new staff start on our team a couple of weeks ago and one of them left after only two shifts because she couldn't handle some of the patients we have  😟

Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £5,118.00 Owed = £12,315.77
    Emergency Fund = £640 Xmas savings = £0
    House Fund = £0
  • CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Parkyp said:

I know clearing your debt is important but right now we have to prioritise our needs and being able to survive is more important.

Take care of yourself x
    That is so true. All you've paid off already strengthens your position for the future, and the priority now is to do what you can to care for yourself. Think of debt repayment as climbing a mountain: it's not just uphill all the way. You've got so far then you have to go down towards the valley for a while in order to get to the next accessible bit of the climb.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
    Toiletries used up 27/188.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Ambassador
    13.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    I think you have to prioritise your health and essential bills over repaying debt and if it never gets paid off it is not the end of the world.  Remember the problems we have now with unaffordable bills for essential services like energy and high food and travel costs are not your fault.  You will not be the only one in this position which doesn't help I know but eventually I surely hope something will be done as we are going to be in crisis this winter with many families struggling to pay just for essentials.  
    Early retired in December 2017. Debt counsellor for a High Street bank in a previous life. I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert. Save £12k in 2022 challenge #36 £12,000/£12,000 November 2022 CHALLENGE COMPLETED
  • Seasidegal58Seasidegal58 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Oh OBL - I'm so sorry to read how down you've been and I do hope you are feeling much better physically as well. 
    I agree with @enthusiasticsaver that your essential bills come well before any debt and you will not be the only person in the U.K. where these will be taking priority once winter hits. 
    As others have written, vent your feelings on here as much as you want to.....
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • amber03amber03 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    I don’t bother listening to the news or read the papers (online) anymore, I’ve told my DH if he wants to moan about what’s going on ( as he likes to give his opinion) he can ring and talk to my DS who’s just like his dad always on about things going on in the news. I can’t change any of it so I have decided to stay in my own little world. I don’t look to far ahead now and concentrate on the present. I love this board as we all seem to understand and support each other. Keep posting OBL, surely we are all due some good news soon.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j
    3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £105.45
  • milannmilann Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Work sounds stressful and physically demanding . Hats off to you for working all through the pandemic with poorly children and stressed parents 👍 
    I hope the meeting at work goes well. You shouldn’t feel guilty for being unfit for work. It is awful….that were made to feel that way. I got myself so worked up before every meeting I had, so you have my sympathies.
    6.4K Posts
    Forumite
    I think you have to prioritise your health and essential bills over repaying debt and if it never gets paid off it is not the end of the world.  Remember the problems we have now with unaffordable bills for essential services like energy and high food and travel costs are not your fault.  You will not be the only one in this position which doesn't help I know but eventually I surely hope something will be done as we are going to be in crisis this winter with many families struggling to pay just for essentials.  
    We are going to have an interesting winter that's for sure 😳
    House Fund = £0
    6.4K Posts
    Forumite
    milann said:
    Work sounds stressful and physically demanding . Hats off to you for working all through the pandemic with poorly children and stressed parents 👍 
    I hope the meeting at work goes well. You shouldn’t feel guilty for being unfit for work. It is awful….that were made to feel that way. I got myself so worked up before every meeting I had, so you have my sympathies.
    I'm worried they will have grounds to let me go if they can prove I'm unfit of my job 😟
    House Fund = £0
    6.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Hang on I haven't finished 
    I'm also going to cancel my tv license as apart from last week when I stupidly checked the news ( won't be doing that again ) I haven't actually turned my tv on since the 1st of July ,I only watch Netflix and DD pays for amazon Prime so sometimes watches that. That £13.37 will be going into the energy fund instead, I will inform them that I need to prioritise  and a tv license is not an essential bill if I'm not actually using my TV 
    House Fund = £0