My journey to a debt free life

in Debt free diaries
6.7K replies 360.9K views

Replies

• OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It’s all about whatever method works for you. I love that feeling of motivation when you’ve come up with a new plan. Good luck 🤞 
    Thanks SA I think I had got a bit complacent so needed to shake things up a bit. I'm also trying to wrk on my day to day habits so there will be changes there too 😊
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,864.23 Owed = £12,765.77
    Emergency Fund = £500 Xmas savings = £0
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    It must be so difficult, I do feel for you. At least you've been able to get the meds sorted out which is so important.

Could you use a work badge as ID? Or a prescription?

I hope you get some sleep.
    I need a driving licence, passport or EU ID card and a bill with my name and address on excluding phone bills, I've got the bill I just haven't got anything else. I'm going to apply for a passport anyway because DD 2 wants to take me to Rome when I'm 60 😊 so I will need be next year 
    You won't be the only one without a driving licence and passport. Why not see if they will accept birth or other certificate?

I love the idea of going to Rome, lucky you! DD tells me I would love it. Certainly worth getting your passport in good time. :) 
    The bank my mum uses sent me a letter specifically asking for those documents, I have this problem all the time. A lot of places won't accept a birth certificate anymore especially if like mine it's not an original copy, when I had renew my DBS certificate I had to provide about 12 pieces of evidence that I was who I said I was, lived where I said I did and had the right to live in the uk. It's ridiculous and one of the reasons why I would love and I'd card scheme to be introduced 
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    You will love Rome I am sure but I find it strange they will only accept DL or passport as lots of people wont have either especially as few people have travelled abroad in the last few years.  How frustrating you will have to pay out the ridiculous amount they charge for passports now as well. 

Your cash system sounds good to help you with budgeting.  I have recently moved to Starling and they have savings spaces for bills, car or house/holiday expenses etc etc so it does not all get mixed up with disposable income. It is working a treat with my husband who forgets what direct debits we have and when they come out of the account. 
    It is quite common for places like banks to only accept driving licences or passports for ID,I have, loads of hassle every time I try to do anything that needs ID. I also need to show them a bill with my name and address on and they won't let me use a mobile phone bill either,it has to be something else 
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    warby68 said:
    We've always had a bills account which doesn't get otherwise spent from. It pretty much runs itself. Much easier to have the spends separate for tracking purposes. 

Just a reminder for a little extra money if not done already - Prolific studies - they have a waiting list now to manage their profile mix but people are being called up from it. Its a reliable source of treat money for me and I quite enjoy most of them. I'm just finishing what will be my record month at just shy of £300 and £100 a month has been a  good average over the last 2 or 3 years. 

You might do this already too but the Prescription Prepayment Certificate is good value once you have more than one prescription a month. I think its £10.80 a month for 10 months for a 12m cert. As i currently have 9 items, its more than paying for itself. You can get shorter ones, as I know you're heading for 60.
    Mine was always just all lumped in together and I would just move money into savings on payday but I was getting into a mess with it. It makes much more sense to split it up and I don't know why I didn't do it before 🤷‍♀️

I do have a pre payment certificate for my prescriptions and it's been a godsend over the last couple of years.

I will have a look at Prolific 😊
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Your folder sounds like me - quite old but still going strong 🤣
    😂😂😂 I know the feeling 😂😂😂
    House Fund = £0
  • milannmilann Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hope you enjoyed your meal and had a great night at your friends retirement. 
    The walk along the river sounds lovely.
    March spends - £640. April spends - £695. May spends £745
    Total weight loss 3 1/2 LB
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    milann said:
    Hope you enjoyed your meal and had a great night at your friends retirement. 
    The walk along the river sounds lovely.
    We had a good night thank you,I was disappointed in the food and my cash budget went out the window because they would only let you pay by card. I will be avoiding the place now but the company was good, it was good to see people out of work and we did have a good laugh 😊
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    So we had a good night out on Friday apart from a lack of vege choices and you had to pay by card 😡, they also messed up the bill and we ended up £28 adrift which we paid but there were 13 of us and they had 13 payments so something had gone wrong somewhere 🤷‍♀️

Saturday morning was spent with DD1 and the DGs , we went to the library for them to take out some books then for coffee and cake in the library cafe. We also had a wander round town and I bought one of DGs 2s birthday presents,I just need to get the other item and that's him done.

After DD1 went home I met DD2 because she wanted to go and pick out a sewing machine, she wants to make her own dresses etc so needed a machine. We went to a local shop and she bought the one she liked, they gave her a demo and the man came and delivered it on his way home from work, she bought a few accessories to go with it and he gave her them for free, excellent customer service from this shop, they also service and repair machines so she can use them for that 

We sat and watched the last two episodes of Stranger Things on Saturday night and it was really good, I'm sad I've finished it now though 😀

Sunday I was working so had to be up early,I walked to work because I refuse to pay for a taxi when I'm only working 8 hours. Work was horrible and I was glad to get home,I had another run in with the band 6 again and I ended up having a go at her because she was being completely unreasonable. I'm going to complain about her next week when I go back because I've had enough of her having a go at me when other people don't do their job properly.

I finished work at 3.30 and was glad to get home because my legs and feet were really painful. I was I agony all evening so took some painkillers and went to bed early ,it kept me awake for quite a lot of the night so I ended up sleeping in this morning.

Today I have been out for dog food and some shopping which was mainly ingredients to make meals rather than main food shopping. I came home and did the chicken clean out and also got some washing done. DD 2 made a lentil Dahl yesterday so I had left overs of that for tea tonight, it was yummy 😊

I don't have to work now until Thursday 🎉🎉🎉Im at home tomorrow but I'm going to DD1s in the evening to babysit.they are going  to see the Stereophonics at the Eden Project so I will be staying overnight because they won't get back until late. DDs mum in law was meant to be babysitting but is ill so can't do it now so they have had to call in the back up granny 😂😂 

Im off to bed soon to rest my poorly legs in the hope they will feel ok tomorrow 🤞🤞
    House Fund = £0
  • Deni_debt-free_dreamerDeni_debt-free_dreamer Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi OBL
    It's crackers that you didn't get many veggie choices on your meal out!  Loads of people are veggie these days.  I am always quick to order in a restaurant as I'm a veggie who doesn't like mushrooms so that narrows down the options!  
    DD2's lentil dahl sounds lovely.
    Hope you sleep well and your legs are feeling better tomorrow
    Dx
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021 !
    NST June #13 NSD 2/10
    2022 Mortgage Free Wannabee #81
    2022 Decluttering Campaign member
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Hi OBL
    It's crackers that you didn't get many veggie choices on your meal out!  Loads of people are veggie these days.  I am always quick to order in a restaurant as I'm a veggie who doesn't like mushrooms so that narrows down the options!  
    DD2's lentil dahl sounds lovely.
    Hope you sleep well and your legs are feeling better tomorrow
    Dx
    Thanks 😊This place used to be quite good but they have changed the menu and it's not so good now, I would have been ok if I liked goats cheese but I can't stand it 😀
    House Fund = £0