My journey to a debt free life

in Debt Free Diaries
6.7K replies 358.6K views

Replies

• Willowtree222Willowtree222 Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Really sorry your DD only thinks of herself.

Is she also the type that of you say no, she’ll not speak to you because she’ll think you’re in the wrong? (Even though you’re not) x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Sun_AddictSun_Addict Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sorry to hear your run of bad luck continues 😩 I often find this is the case, I’ve had a few years where one bad thing after another happened. 

I would tell your DD to get to the back of the queue or pay for a painter and decorator to do it 😡
    Christmas Savings 2022 £354.38/£600
    July NSD: 2/12
  • milannmilann Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hope you are ok and making a good recovery 🤞
  • warby68warby68 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    'Sorry love, I'm having too much illness and am too far behind here to take on extra jobs. I'm more likely to need your help if there's any going'

I'm a firm believer that people are generally givers or takers and not always aware of which they are.

Hopey you feel better soon and the washing machine isn't terminal. My mum found a home laundry service - pick up, delivery and a huge amount for a tenner. Not what you want to spend money on but its good to know what's out there.

• foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi OBL, Oh my goodness, the answer to your daughter's painting & decorating request should definitely be a big firm polite 'No'. You've been poorly, you have your fibro to manage, as well as your job & you have plenty of things you need to be cracking on with in your own home. I think a firm 'That's not going to happen....in fact I could do with a hand with decorating (or whatever) myself' is the assertive way forward with this. I think it's a cheek to be honest, given your health this year. If she grumps about it, tough. I don't think anybody else would think you'd been mean. 
    F x

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only the moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake".
    Sir Francis Bacon 1561 - 1626 (Philosopher & statesman)
  • edited 28 May at 5:37PM
    OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 28 May at 5:37PM
    Hi everyone, just popping in to post an update 😊I have now mostly recovered from Covid 🎉🎉🎉but still have a slight cough and tiredness that comes over me all of a sudden. I've gone back to work but only have a late to do tomorrow and I'm off for a week.
    I have got some jobs done over the last week so I'm mostly caught up with day to day stuff. 
    I finally managed to go and cut the grass on the front garden but sadly the mower didn't survive 😫I went over it first with the strimmer  but obviously not enough so I now either have to put a new motor in the lawn mower (if I can get one and it's worth doing ) or I will have to buy a new mower, I'm quite sad as I have had this little mower for several years and it's been a right little workhorse. I've also given the patio a good clean and tidy so we can sit out in the garden when it's warm enough.

Today I have spent the day catching up on housework and the house now looks as lovely as it did before I got ill, I have cleaned everything to within an inch of its life so it's hopefully as germ free as possible ( not completely with two cats and a dog plus we do need some germs 😊) I have also caught up on the never ending washing pile 🎉🎉🎉

DD 2 is away for the weekend so I have the house to myself, to been a beautiful sunny day here today so all the washing has gone out on the line to dry.

I have a stressful situation going on with my parents at the moment which is not helping me sleep but I will post about that another time when I know more about what's going on

Edited to add that I fixed the washing machine,it was just the plug that was damaged so I put a new plug on it 😊
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,954.23 Owed = £12,675.77
    Emergency Fund = £640 Xmas savings = £0
    House Fund = £0
  • milannmilann Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well done on repairing the washing machine. I wouldn’t have a clue…..I really should learn how to do things such as changing a plug……I’m great with decorating and gardening but anything slightly technical and I’m hopeless……but I’ve never tried.
    I love it when the house is sparkling clean and I have it all to myself - enjoy 🥂
  • Willowtree222Willowtree222 Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Another who wouldn't know where to start with a washing machine. I am glad you have recovered, well almost!
    Today has been lovely outside. A long awaited day to get the washing out and dry! 

x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Sun_AddictSun_Addict Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Good news that you’ve recovered from Covid. Well done on fixing the washing machine. Hope you can fix the mower. Hope everything gets sorted with your parents 🤞
    Christmas Savings 2022 £354.38/£600
    July NSD: 2/12
  • OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi everyone 😊I am currently enjoying my week off despite the weather not being great. I had lots of jobs planned but I'm still not feeling 100% so non of them have been done yet. I have managed to keep up with normal household jobs but nothing extra.

DD2 took me out for afternoon tea yesterday which was lovely and we were going to go for a Dartmoor walk today but we are both too tired and I needed to get some washing done while the sun briefly came out. I have had a very lazy day today which has been nice, I'm thinking of doing some bits in the garden if I can motivate myself to get up 

Tomorrow I'm going out with DD1 and the DGs for waffles and to take them to see a dinosaur trail through the town, apparently it's going to rain though so I'm not sure how much fun it will be 🤷‍♀️

The situation with my parents is ongoing but the upshot is that a couple of weeks ago Dad was tested for dementia and his score was very bad which indicates he does have it, I could have told the GP this without testing him but wanted someone to check him out . The GP actually visited him at home and arranged for some blood tests which showed he was very anaemic so she told him he would need a blood transfusion. He was meant to go to a community hospital for the transfusion but then because of his blood results he was called in to out hospital haematology dept instead.
    They discovered his blood pressure was really low so they did the transfusion and kept him in for tests. He's had numerous bloods, CT scans and a chest X-ray but they can't find anything to explain the reason for the anaemia . He was in hospital for a week but came home on Wednesday. I visited him in hospital but two hours later he spoke to my mum and couldn't remember me being there 😟 I'm not sure what will happen now if anything 🤷‍♀️
    They have had a stair lift fitted because they both struggle with the stairs and my dad has now got walking frames to help his mobility which is terrible, so at least some good has come out of his hospital stay. 
    Mum says he hardly eats so I'm putting that down as the reason for the anaemia. Dad is 91 so as he says he isn't ill he's just old 😊
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,954.23 Owed = £12,675.77
    Emergency Fund = £640 Xmas savings = £0
    House Fund = £0