My journey to a debt free life

in Debt Free Diaries
6.6K replies 349.7K views

Replies

• OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope the new boiler appears soon and you can be warm. I lived with a broken boiler for 2 years and remember how hard it was to dry washing and ensure warmth with a couple of electric oil heaters. 
    You are made of sterner stuff than me,I would never last that long with out a boiler 🙀I think maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I still had my tumble dryer so I could at least get my washing dry. I've been happy over the weekend because it was windy so I pegged it out to dry 😊
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,864.23 Owed = £12,765.77
    Emergency Fund = £500 Xmas savings = £0
    House Fund = £0
    6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    foxgloves said:
    What a massively productive day, @Onebrokelady. Here's hoping that the wretched boiler problem will be sorted soon, now that you have someone coming to look at it.
    Agree re emergency funds. It is pretty grim how quickly they evaporate in the face of an expensive necessity. I'm sure you will be motivated enough to have a frugal year. You will feel better seeing your fund build up again. At least your new boiler should have a decent warranty period, so that is one expense that shouldnt occur again for several years.
    Anyway fingers & paws crossed here that you will soon have the problem resolved.
    F x
    Thanks Foxgloves I'm hoping and praying that they can do the job. I'm still hoping they will turn up and announce that the boiler can be repaired and doesn't actually need replacing but realistically I know this is highly unlikely. I am up for the challenge of an extra frugal year so hopefully it will  build up quite quickly again 
    House Fund = £0
    6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a good day at work today with some cute children coming through the clinics. I'm feeling loads better today but still haven't felt like eating a meal, I've just had cereal, sandwich's and toast. I am hungry but just don't feel like eating much, I'm sure my appetite will return soon 😀

I came home and had a snack for tea, took B out for her evening walk then had a lovely hot shower. I put the heater on and both the cats plonked themselves down in front of it but I have noticed one of the bulbs has stopped working so I will have to investigate that when I stop using it, I just hope it doesn't pack up before the heating is fixed.

I also got the invoice for the work to repair the leaky pipe today plus the initial visit to diagnose the problem so that's £216 less in the bank to put towards my new boiler thankfully DD2 told me this evening that she wants to give me some money to put towards it which is so lovely of her. I have been offered the choice of two boilers, one is the economy brand ( Ideal) which is a good brand but it only has a 5 year warranty, the other is a more expensive one and a very reliable brand ( Worcester/Bosch) and it has a 10 year warranty but it's going to be out of my price range once they add on VAT. DD is quite keen for me to go for the dearer one with the longer warranty so has offered to help with the cost, I just can't decide what to do but hopefully after speaking to them tomorrow the decision will be easier.

I couldn't sleep last night, one reason was because I am panicking about spending all my money and the thought of all the things that could go wrong once it's gone and the other reason was because my nose was freezing 🥶🥶
    House Fund = £0
  • CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think a hot water bottle might be good investment!

I've no experience of the Ideal boiler. We have a Worcester boiler and it's gone seven or eight years now with nothing more serious than a weird rattling which turned out to be dead bees that had got into the vent. Sad, but solvable. Your daughter is lovely trying to help and I wouldn't hold back too much as she is benefitting too. :) I wonder if there's some sort of instalment plan you could use to spread the cost of whichever you go for, or does your workplace do loans against salary?

We added one of our major costs - I can't remember if it was heating or electrics - to the mortgage, a good choice in that we had a safe and effective system but not such a good one in that I wasn't mentally together enough to get it paid back before the additional loan went onto standard rates. I don't know if some sort of loan is an option or whether you'd want one if you had it - I suppose the EF is essentially to avoid things like that and if you had additional costs at least the EF would have deferred you taking out extra finance. Not something to get into if you can avoid it, I guess, but you have to balance that against possible effects on your health.

I hope you go on feeling better and get your appetite back.
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
    Toiletries used up 24/181.
  • DrawingalineDrawingaline Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fancy coming and lopping our tree?! 😂
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Willowtree222Willowtree222 Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope the boiler os being fixed this morning x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Sunshine_girl2Sunshine_girl2 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope the boiler is done now . 
    Debt free April 26th 2021

6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope the boiler is done now . 
    And you are warm and snug?
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
    6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just popping in to say the boiler has been replaced and we are now toasty and warm. It's so nice to have hot running water again. The only thing with this boiler which is a good thing is that it's so quiet I keep going to check it's still working 😀 the old boiler was really noisy and I could hear it if it was on even from downstairs. Hopefully it will prove to be reliable but if not I have a five year warranty for peace of mind.

Im off to bed now because I'm working tomorrow, it was my day off but I offered to swap and work tomorrow instead of Thursday. I will be covering someone in outpatients who has gone off sick, there is only me available tomorrow that can do bloods so I thought I had better swap or they would have been up the creek with out a paddle, the bonus is I get Thursday and Friday off afterwards 🎉🎉🎉
    House Fund = £0
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yippee for the new boiler and two days off together! Enjoy the hot water!