My journey to a debt free life

in Debt Free Diaries
6.3K replies 329.2K views

Replies

• CherryfudgeCherryfudge Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mmm, that should look great! Looking forward to seeing the finished effect!
    Fashion on the Ration challenge: 39.5 coupons c/f from 2020 + 66 coupons this year. 43 remaining as of 22nd December.
    Toiletries used up 15/176.
  • Sun_AddictSun_Addict Forumite
    15K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My laminate has been down for around 20 years and still looks fine. Mr SA fitted it when he was fit and able so not even done professionally. 
    Christmas Savings 2022 £92.04/£600
    Emergency Fund £6000/£10,000
    January NSD: 11/15
  • OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The handy man I found came round this morning to look at my wall that needs painting he's coming back to do it next  Thursday and is charging me £40 to do the wall up the stairs ,the bit over the stair well, the half of the ceiling I can't reach and the coving I can't reach,I thought that was very cheap 😊he also noticed that I have a spanner instead of a front door handle and said he can also install a new door handle for me so he's going to  buy the handle and do that for me at the same time, obviously that will add to the final price but he doesn't think it will take long. My house will be looking good soon 😀

I still need to finish the bathroom but I need to save up for that so it  will have to wait for a bit longer.

This morning I went into town for my shopping only to find that Mr S was closed because of a power cut 😟I went to Mr T instead but it's only an express so I was a bit worried about finding everything. I got most things but not in the quantities I wanted, it will tide me over for a few days. I also went and bought more gloss paint from Mr W which took me ages to find because they have changed the tins 🙄I was there for ages. I don't think I will get any painting done today because my painting clothes are in the wash, I might do some later if they dry in time 
    I do need to go and tidy the kitchen because I just abandoned it last night due to being far too hot, I just couldn't function in that heat 😀
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,316 Now Owed = £13,301.77
    Emergency Fund = £1000 Xmas savings = £800
    House Fund = £700
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good colour laminate @OBL. Our decorator has also been fitting new door handles! I think he thought the cruddy state of them would let down his freshly done paintwork!
    F x
    "Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only the moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake".
    Sir Francis Bacon 1561 - 1626 (Philosopher & statesman)
  • ParkypParkyp Forumite
    668 Posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    That’s a brilliant price from your handyman. I’d keep a note of his number. Your house will be looking lovely and fresh when it’s finished. 
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    foxgloves said:
    Good colour laminate @OBL. Our decorator has also been fitting new door handles! I think he thought the cruddy state of them would let down his freshly done paintwork!
    F x
    Thanks Foxgloves,my internal doors could do with new handles but only because I don't like the ones I've got so they can stay for now😀
    House Fund = £700
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Parkyp said:
    That’s a brilliant price from your handyman. I’d keep a note of his number. Your house will be looking lovely and fresh when it’s finished. 
    I thought so too. I've got his details and now have a long list of possible jobs that can be done at some point 😊
    House Fund = £700
  • Willowtree222Willowtree222 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think £40 is a great price. You’re house Will look fantastic and be worth it.

it is hot at the minute. I built some garden furniture yesterday and burnt all my back so will be spending the day in the cool if I can. 

Have a good day x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • milannmilann Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loving the colour of the laminate. I wish I’d have got laminate instead of vinyl we have a slight bulge in it and had them out to it. They’ve blamed it on the big unit we have. Next time it will be laminate for us……but not for at least 15 years 😂😂
    Can’t believe the price of the handyman. You’ve found a gem there by the sound of it.👍
    Your house will be a lovely relaxing place for you and better still you haven’t gone into debt for it 👏👏👏
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    milann said:
    Loving the colour of the laminate. I wish I’d have got laminate instead of vinyl we have a slight bulge in it and had them out to it. They’ve blamed it on the big unit we have. Next time it will be laminate for us……but not for at least 15 years 😂😂
    Can’t believe the price of the handyman. You’ve found a gem there by the sound of it.👍
    Your house will be a lovely relaxing place for you and better still you haven’t gone into debt for it 👏👏👏
    I was going to go for vinyl but have heard of people having trouble with it and I would have had to have my floorboards boarded over as well which would add to the price. I'm gIad I haven't gone into debt for any of my home improvements and it# nice to know the money is saved to pay the bill, I do feel a bit sad that I'm actually spending it though, I like having the money in my account 😀
    House Fund = £700