My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gosh you have been going through it, haven't you OBL. I agree with statements already posted, a good diet definitely does help with your mental attitude, as does exercise and sunshine. It is hard when family members don't know of our debts and suggest things like moving house etc isn't it? We have had the same sort of problems.
    You say your DD didn't comment when you said you hadn't been feeling quite right mentally lately....maybe she either doesn't know how to respond and help you, or possibly is a bit like someone in my family, who thinks that mental illness is not a real condition and should just be swept under the carpet. It is a sad thing that there are still some people like that in this day and age.
    Hope you are picking up a bit now . x

My DDs both understand that mental health problems are real ,they both have their own issues, my eldest has panic attacks and has to take diazepam when they are really bad or else she can't function and my youngest suffers with depression and anxiety, it seems they don't mine telling me when they are having problems but they can't handle it when I'm not doing too well.

I'm feeling ok today and will hopefully feel ok tomorrow too, I can't guarantee it but will hope for the best, I won't be mentioning it again at home that's for sure
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Today has been a good day
    I got up early because I had a hack booked for 11am, it was lovely and I got to ride the lovely Dougal again, he is such a soft friendly horse, the young woman who took me out was really nice and chatty, she used to work at my hospital doing the same job I do but in elderly care and she also has Fibromyalgia which is very sad to see in a young person, she had never met anyone else with it before so we had a good chat about it, hers started when she was pregnant :(

I've booked to go again next Monday because I'm on holiday and it's my birthday the day before so it's a birthday treat for myself :)

When I got home I had lunch then nipped out and cut the front lawn because it was getting a bit straggly,the sky had gone black and we had had showers so I wanted to get it done before it rained properly

I've also cleaned the house,I really didn't want to do it but it needed doing urgently so I made myself,everywhere looks lovely now :j

Tomorrow I've got my DGS for the day so will be kept busy all day with him,I'm hoping to get some bits done in the back garden if he has a long nap, I also need to go shopping because the cupboards and freezer are empty,I wanted to defrost the freezer last week so we spent a few days livingoff the contents,luckily there wasn't much in there to begin with, its done now so I have to restock

I also remembered to buy chicken food while I was out today which was a good thing because I had nearly run out

I'm off to bed now because I am actually shattered but hopefully I will sleep :)
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it can be hard for people to accept mental health problems in people who have always been strong for them... I hope she has a think about it and finds ways to support you.

Good to hear things have been better for the last couple of days.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Cross posted with you, sorry. Just wanted to say: 'Oooh, horses!' :) That ride sounds like just what you needed.

• Onebrokelady
    Options
    I think it can be hard for people to accept mental health problems in people who have always been strong for them... I hope she has a think about it and finds ways to support you.

Good to hear things have been better for the last couple of days.
    Thanks Cherry, sadly knowing her like I do I expect she won't mention it again, she needs me to be well so she doesn't have to send DGS to nursery so any sign of illness is a no no, she just takes it for granted that I will be there
    I was really annoyed last week because we had DGS to stay for two nights and two days so she could go away,she was actually at home on the second day but wanted to rest after her day away so asked my younger DD to look after DGS and when she picked him up she didn't even say thanks :mad: my younger DD is really stressed out with uni and has lots of work on at the moment but agreed to look after DGs and didn't get any thanks whatsoever
    I hate to say it but she is only interested in her own life and only gets worried if she thinks things are going to affect her,it drives me up the wall

Things are slowly improving but this week instead of feeling sad I'm feeling angry.........can you tell :eek::rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Cross posted with you, sorry. Just wanted to say: 'Oooh, horses!' :) That ride sounds like just what you needed.
    I did laugh because I was just about to log out when I saw you he replied,I thought blimey that was quick,we must have clicked post almost at the same time

Yes the ride was just what I needed and I'm glad I overcame the urge to cancel it now
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Oh dear, she does sound self-centred. :( Don't let her drain you...
    Have a restful night x

• Onebrokelady
    Options
    Oh dear, she does sound self-centred. :( Don't let her drain you...
    Have a restful night x

Yep she is :(
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning OBL,
    Lovely to hear you have been out riding. You enjoy it so much that it's a shame not to do it when you can afford it. We all need something enjoyable to look forward to, that is 'ours', don't we?
    Re feeling taken for granted on the child minding front, I think the easiest way around this is just not always to be available. If there is the occasional day when extra nursery hours have to be booked because you are doing something else, then that is a straightforward way of sending the message that you are not always available for free childcare & may sometimes have other priorities. I know you enjoy spending time with your little GS, but nothing should be taken for granted.
    One in four people will experience some sort of mental health issue during their lifetime, with anxiety & depression being top of the list. I've never had depression, but have had a spell of anxiety disorder back in the past. Important to accept that the mind can have problems just like any other part of the body & to treat yourself kindly until you are feeling back on more of an even keel. And keep seeing your horsey friend - he probably loves taking you for a ride & getting a fuss x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I'm glad you had your horse ride, it must be really good for your mood and it's self care that you can do for yourself :).

I think that Cherry is right, children expect their parents to take care of them not the other way around and are slightly flummoxed if they find their parent needs help. It doesn't mean they don't love you but DD1 does sound a little self-centred. Perhaps Foxgloves is right that you shouldn't always be available for child care so that DD1 doesn't take your help for granted.

I hope you continue to feel better :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure