Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Options

Comments

• GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Niknak if you find an answer let me know! I'm fielding some well- meaning comments too 'are you drinking this time?' 'why not?' - nothing mean, but I really shouldn't have to justify anything. Apparantly 'because I don't want to' isn't enough, you have to go into more detail. Gah.

8/21 for me today :)
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,733 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Niknak if you find an answer let me know! I'm fielding some well- meaning comments too 'are you drinking this time?' 'why not?' - nothing mean, but I really shouldn't have to justify anything. Apparantly 'because I don't want to' isn't enough, you have to go into more detail. Gah.

8/21 for me today :)

I think some of the other comments earlier might help. I haven't found an answer. Being allergic doesn't seem to have any effect at all. I just gets people more keen to try and find one drink I am not allergic to.

x

7/31 for me so far. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fabrab 1 /1cool%20chicken%20dance.gifcool%20chicken%20dance.gifcool%20chicken%20dance.gif

Miss P /2
    Shaggydoo 1 /2cool%20chicken%20dance.gifcool%20chicken%20dance.gifcool%20chicken%20dance.gif
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    edited 9 October 2018 at 11:13AM
    Options
    Annie /4
    Fabrab 1/5 scary%20ghost.gif

GreenKaren /5

Nicnak /5

Maggie /4
    Miss P 1/5scary%20ghost.gif
    Shaggydoo 1/5scary%20ghost.gif

WBF /4

Anyone else?
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    edited 9 October 2018 at 11:17AM
    Options
    October 2018

scary%20ghost.gif = 7 Days

smileys-halloween-500315.gif?w=646= 14 Days

autumn_leaf_hello.gif= 21 Days

citrouille28.gif= 28 Days

ZZtree-smiley-emoticon-emoji.gif= 31 Days

smiley_emoticons_saint.gif= Target Reached

2lbkos0.gif= Target Beaten

AnnieG 3/21

Arkers 6/TF
    Barney 7/25scary%20ghost.gif

BestLifeNow 6/31

Billy2Shots /21

CathyBird 5/17

Dilly /31
    Fabrab 7/30scary%20ghost.gif
    Glenda 8/21scary%20ghost.gif

GreenKaren 6/31
    Honey Bear 7/31scary%20ghost.gif

MaggieM 2/14

Maman 4/10

Miss P 6/22
    Nicnak 7/31scary%20ghost.gif

Pricey 2/22

Season of Mist 4/21

Shaggydoo 6/21

Sleepymans /20

Sukeyboo 3/12

WannaBeeFree 2/10

Please let me know if I've made a mistake!

Everyone Welcome Anytime of the Month!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After many failed attempts at getting back on the dieting bandwagon in the past month, I weighed myself today and have bit the bullet and am getting back to it. Will get off my bottom and out for a walk this morning.

Miss P
    xx

Good Luck.:) Is the whole family joining you?

I know I'm being pedantic but I think it helps if you tell yourself you're going to eat healthily. I know it's not the literal meaning, but for me diet implies being deprived and doing something out of the ordinary. Then when you go back to the ordinary (whether that be booze or junk food or both) the weight just goes back on again. I would imagine it would be easier to explain to Piglet too.

jumps off soapbox:o

No drinking today or tomorrow but then away for the rest for the week. I'll enjoy a drink wit friends but nothing excessive.

5/10 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,667 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    hi all 6/21 for me, unbelievably have managed an early AFD even though off on holidays!
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Season_of_Mist
    Options
    Thanks to all who commented, interesting to read about other experiences of resuming - sensibly - after a break.

Actually my intake was not high when I stopped, there have been times in the past (when I was a lot younger and worked in the City for instance) when it was far too high but in recent years I had cut it right back anyway. Really I just enjoy a glass of beer at the end of the working week now and would like to keep it at that level, knowing I can stop if needed.

One strange thing about stopping for so long was that weirdly I found I was looking forward to my AF weekends, it felt good to wake up feeling fresh on Sunday mornings for a change, also I found the quality of sleep improved overall, even on nights when I wouldn’t have been drinking anyway. I think probably I underestimated the effects of alcohol on the system as a whole.

Oh and everyone who said about making it easier to lose weight were not wrong either; I’m not a big guy anyway but after about 6 weeks AF I found I was starting to lose weight in places I didn’t even know I had any fat.

Took it slowly this weekend, just a couple on Fri/Sat nights so I’m at 6/21
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 October 2018 at 10:49AM
    Options
    Season of Mist, very few of us recognise how much effect alcohol has on us. My OH didn't sleep through the night for 20 years after his mother died, and assumed he'd be like that for the rest of his life. He put it down to the stress of his mother's death and then just accepted it as part of the aging process. Fast forward to me stopping drinking completely, and OH not intending to change his behaviour - of course he did. He'd lost his drinking companion, so gradually, very, very gradually he cut back. He's now sleeping through the night like he used to when he was younger, and only drinking about one quarter of what he did when we were egging each other on.

After a day or two of abstince during the 20 years he'd always, always always comment on how having a night or two off the booze didn't make him feel any better. It never once occurred to either of us that we'd both been so affected by booze for so long we thought what we were experiencing was normal. It's only when we stop or drastically cut back we realise how much of an effect it was having. I wouldn't go back to drinking if you paid me.

Well done for resisting, Best Life Now! The cravings lessen the longer you go on not giving in to them, but it's tough at the start - it's all about habit. Worth it, though!

It doesn't matter how you don't drink, as long as you don't when you're aiming for a booze-free night - I love that you couldn't be bothered to walk to the shop, Annie G!

Good luck with the weight loss, Delighted Mum. I could do with shedding quite a few pounds myself, and it doesn't seem to be happening without me trying which is really, really annoying!

8/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon,7 please Shaggy
    Arkers x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories