PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

February 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Hi Zippy & Coxy. Due to some medical issues with OH, I need to do the shopping for both of us going forward, I believe. He can't physically walk to the stores as much now. He'll be on some medication and may have some banned foods.

I'd like to revise my amount to €450 please.

Thank you.
  • TooClumsy
    Options
    Hello!

Joining again for this month, hoping to be more active in writing in this thread to keep myself accountable before the end of the month!

Can I join for £290 for TooClumsy which will be £72 a week. Hoping we come under, but lets just stick to being on budget for now.

Good Luck all!
    GC Challenge 2018:
    Jan £309.44/£290.72
    Feb £204.81/£290
    March £153.60/£300
  • mummyjane
    Options
    Did an online shop with Mr I which came yesterday but should cover most things for the next week although I need to order dog food tomorrow. Been a mad week as I stupidly fell down the stairs resulting in a trip to the local A&E. Although I didn't break anything, I'm very bruised and sore :o . On a more positive note, I found out that students (I'm studying pt) can get a voucher for each shop with Mr I through Unidays which gives you £4 off each time :T huge bonus as delivery is free too. The downside is that now my freezers are both bursting at the seems, although hopefully running them down will keep our shopping at a minimum for a couple of weeks at least.

It's been so long since I took part in the Grocery Challenge regularly (years!) so looking forward to getting control of our spending and hopefully being able to put a little away for a much needed family break later in the year. I'm hoping that I can gradually lower our budget so fingers crossed x
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Please can I amend my target to £407 . This is because I have missed a weekly shop off my calculation due to DH been paid earlier in January.

I budgeted £44 for school lunches but only needed £32 so I have deducted the £12 too.

I have rechecked my spending too as I think I miscalculated my spending on my last post.

Total now stands at £148.75/£407
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Distiller
    Options
    Hi
    This is my first month. We are a family of 2 adults and 4 children (3 teens 13,13 and 15. and a 10 year old) In January we spend £863.45 in supermarkets, school lunches and on takeaways. I have no idea what we should be spending but I know that our figure is much much too high. I will be aiming for £700 for February which still seems massively high.
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Went to the local Crawshaw's butcher today to buy my meat for the month. Managed to get everything I wanted except lamb mince and pork shoulder. Got a bulk pack of chicken, pork loin and sausages so have more than I need for the month. Hoping it'll last some of March too. Spent £43.97. Then went to Aldi for the veg, fruit, bread and diary bits, managed to get the lamb mince and pork shoulder there, as well as the fish I wanted. spent £47.76.
    £91.73/£400
    Grocery Challenge 2024
    Feb £419.82 Mar £599.53 Apr £405.69 May £531.37 Jun
    Declutter challenge 2024 0 items
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As promised, my £50 February Challenge thread is up: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5786560

Wish me luck!

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons: 33 spent, 33 remain.
    4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
    4 coupons - 2 x 100g WYS Signature Sock
    14 coupons - summer coat
    11 coupons - Harris Tweed jacket
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Put me down for £40 this month please. I was over-ambitious last month, I found lots of post-Christams treats and didn't hesitate to buy them :o

Got to start eating proper meals, no time to start like middle age lol.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cottage_Economy
    Options
    Hi, can I join this challenge please.

Aiming for £160 this month
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    As promised, my £50 February Challenge thread is up: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5786560Wish me luck!- Pip
    Good Luck. I won't be joining you, as I'm doing a store cupboard challenge, for two weeks, maybe more, where I'm only buying fridge stuff and not too much, as most will be taken from stores. Thanks for the link, I will subscribe.

My Feb starts tomorrow, so the few spends I have had today, will come out of my bulk buy, which is the remainder of my Jan monies. Good luck everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure