PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 January 2018 at 9:37PM
    Options
    No intention setting myself up to fail
    Heading in for £400 all meals apart for 2 adults, all but 1 college lunch for another and all but 4 college lunches a week for the other. My ‘little’ one is 6ft 5 so they eat as large adults

Including cleaning products but I only need washing machine stuff this month I think. I am including dog food as it’s easier than splitting it

We have less in than January but I have rearranged the freezer which is helping

Including all but OHs meal out for his birthday when it comes to eating out to stop us eating out or take aways

I’ve ordered from muscle food for tomorrow which is from February budget not tried them before

Need to save for the wedding, but slimming world hasn’t been cheap so far
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Let's go for £130 from Wed 31st Jan to Wed 28th Feb.

I was thinking of dividing that into 2 pots: £85 groceries to include work lunches, OTC remedies, toiletries, cleaning stuff and the remaining £45 to the "social" fund - coffees when out and about and/or travelling.

Just so I become more conscious of where the money's going. :D
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    I've sat and done a menu plan for the month, only need meat for 15 days out of 28 as we already have a bit of meat in and a few days I can make a couple of meals from a whole chicken or piece of gammon.
    Feeling more positive about the month now, as in Jan I had quite a bit more freezer stocks, but the same budget.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Count me in again please.

My budget for February will be 175 euros.

Good luck everyone!
  • HI,

Please can I join you? With a monthly budget of £240 pcm.

I have quite a bit of food in the cupboards and freezers so in theory this should be an easy target this month yet somehow it never seems to happen and those 'just need fruit, veg, milk and bread' weeks seem to cost almost as much as a full shop!

I cooked a big casserole yesterday and served it with Yorkshire pudding and mushy peas so today I was going to make it into a pie but have no potatoes or fresh veg in so the question is whether I go to the grocers and spend a few pounds to see us healthily through the week or just serve the pie with pastry and frozen veg from the freezer so that I can chalk up a NSD which will only work if I can see the rest of the week out without potatoes lol.
    It's not your salary that makes you rich - it's your spending habits!
    After a life time of debt now's the time to finally break free once and for all
    Saving money makes me happy.

Pay all your debts 2018 #26
  • MrsPear
    MrsPear Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to mods for setting up a new month.

So last month purchases added up didn’t seem right. So i need to get better at keeping receipts for the small purchases and writing down more regularly.

I starting February this week and my budget is 350[/CONOR]

Spent 6.81 already on juice, milk and fruit
    Gc challenge £363.53/ 500
    Y Feb 317.28 / 350
  • Alwaysskint2016
    Options
    Hi,

I'd like to join this challenge this month too if that's OK.

I'm going to budget £340 for the month of February 1st-28th so nice rounded 4 week month.

We're a family of 2 adults, 2 children and 1 dog. My budget to include all food/toiletries/cleaning products/laundry/pet food/packed lunches. Last month was my first month in keeping track of food spend (usually there is no limit and spending was crazy). January we spent £378.97 and started meal planning/bulk buying/bulk cooking and we got on OK with it. I know we can make a saving so I think £340 for February is a good start (hoping to reduce further in the coming months).

Look forward to keeping up with how everyone's doing.
    Debt busting start date 08/08/18 - total debt £33,222.32 :eek::eek: Debt now £31,352.56 - Paid £1,869.76 - 5.63% @ 05/10/2018

• NeverendingDMP
    Options
    108.87 / 390 spent. On the plus side have all main meals sorted for this week and am potty training youngest again so that's one less thing to buy x
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 15.5k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    Back with £100 for the month.

Real February challenge is not to buy any YS meat for the freezer! I want to start to be a bit more responsible with my meat buying and plastics and try the local farm shop instead of the supermarket, but I need to use up what I've got first.

(And I need to figure out how I'm going to wangle the farm shop's special offers into a bulk buy fund, but that can be March's problem!)
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • AprilR
    AprilR Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had five nsd’s! I’m just staying out of the shops otherwise I’ll end up buying something. Have to make do until Sunday, for our next shop. I’m off tomorrow, but going to stay home and paint/sort the house, so that I don’t spend anything! Made pulled pork last night ready to eat for tonight, used up a few bits in the cupboard to flavour it, it smelt delicious but quite spicy! Not really into spicy so we’ll see how that turned out, later. (Had a pot of chilli sauce that needed using so that went in the stock with some Worcester sauce!) I also put loads of spices in the rub to give it flavour. I hope it’s nice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure