Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you read the previous post the problem is well known.
    Did you login using Bank of Scotland or Halifax website.

If you open it from BOS try it from Halifax website
    !!!8220;Can anyone help please?
    My Halifax RS matured last week, and I have been trying to open another one online but it has told me I am not eligible for another RS. Anyone have any idea why?"

I had the exact same problem with Halifax a few months ago. In my case a solution was to have the matured RS account, with zero balance, redesignated as an instant access saver account. This was the work of a few keystrokes: no phone call was needed. Then I instantly applied for, opened and funded a new Halifax RS, without difficulty or delay.[/B]
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Ah right yes, sorry my mistake

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Westie983
    Options
    “Can anyone help please?
    My Halifax RS matured last week, and I have been trying to open another one online but it has told me I am not eligible for another RS. Anyone have any idea why?"

I had the exact same problem with Halifax a few months ago. In my case a solution was to have the matured RS account, with zero balance, redesignated as an instant access saver account. This was the work of a few keystrokes: no phone call was needed. Then I instantly applied for, opened and funded a new Halifax RS, without difficulty or delay.[/B]

While it still shows as a regular saver on your internet banking you wont be able to open a new one, when the money has been transfered out and changed to a instant access account you will then be able to open a new one.

You will need to visit a branch if you want to close the RS down, and remove it from your internet banking.

Telephone Halifax and ask when it will show as an instant access account? once the account is empty. While it still has funds in it wont allow you to open a new one.

This is the same procedure for many banks Regular Savers, Santander and HSBC first comes to mind.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
  • Westie983
    Options
    Does anyone here still hold the Buckinghamshire RS?

I have been funding it each month since late 2016 and I notice on the website that it is now a closed account....

Do you know when it 'matures' or do I just keep going?

I know other accounts like Leeds, let me know when they are stopping payments in, but not heard from Bucks about their account. Simple Regular Saver Issue 3 is now visible on their accounts.

Westie983
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone help please?
    My Halifax RS matured last week, and I have been trying to open another one online but it has told me I cam not eligible for another RS. Anyone have any idea why?
    I am sure in the past I have been able to open another RS with them.

I don't have this account so I will bow to those with experience of the account, but I have been looking at it recently and I thought the Halifax RS was automatically renewed so you didn't need to open a new one?

From the T&C
    After 12 months:
    We'll transfer your savings and interest to the account you chose. This will happen each year on the day after the anniversary of your Regular Saver account opening. (See Section M for more detail on what happens if that anniversary is a non-working day.) Your monthly payments into your Regular Saver account will continue, and will earn interest at the Regular Saver rate that applies at the time. (emphasis mine)
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    I don't have this account so I will bow to those with experience of the account, but I have been looking at it recently and I thought the Halifax RS was automatically renewed so you didn't need to open a new one?

From the T&C
    After 12 months:
    We'll transfer your savings and interest to the account you chose. This will happen each year on the day after the anniversary of your Regular Saver account opening. (See Section M for more detail on what happens if that anniversary is a non-working day.) Your monthly payments into your Regular Saver account will continue, and will earn interest at the Regular Saver rate that applies at the time. (emphasis mine)

It isn't automatically renewed.
  • Kleb
    Kleb Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    It isn't automatically renewed.

Ermm...

When my RS was about to mature I got a letter from Halifax. The 2nd paragraph begins:

'We'll automatically renew your regular saver for another year and you can continue to make monthly payments into this account. Your existing account currently pays a fixed interest rate of 2.50% gross/AER. When we renew your account and move your money, you'll get the interest rate available on that date, which may be different.'
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kleb wrote: »
    Ermm...

When my RS was about to mature I got a letter from Halifax. The 2nd paragraph begins:

'We'll automatically renew your regular saver for another year and you can continue to make monthly payments into this account. Your existing account currently pays a fixed interest rate of 2.50% gross/AER. When we renew your account and move your money, you'll get the interest rate available on that date, which may be different.'

Apologies. I can't remember this happening to mine. But maybe I had assumed that it was only a 12 monther and so only funded it until then!
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »

From the T&C
    After 12 months:

Thank you, I think I have twigged it finally!
    The RS is still showing as open, however, as the last one closed after I put March’s deposit in, I won’t be able to start putting in the new payments until April.
    My ta-da moment!!
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • interest_Ted
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Does anyone here still hold the Buckinghamshire RS?

I have been funding it each month since late 2016 and I notice on the website that it is now a closed account....

Do you know when it 'matures' or do I just keep going?

I know other accounts like Leeds, let me know when they are stopping payments in, but not heard from Bucks about their account. Simple Regular Saver Issue 3 is now visible on their accounts.

Westie983

Would this be the Chiltern Gold Builder ? They froze the account at the end of Oct 2014 and after some changes to interest rates, they allowed a resumption of deposits at start of Sep 2016 and changed T&C to permit unlimited withdrawals. Monthly payments can be between £25 and £250 but must be same each month with no top ups. Monthly payment can be changed only once per annum and then must stay same for rest of that calendar year. Current interest rate is 2.00% (eff 01 Dec 2017). I assume they made it a closed issue at Oct 2014, but they did not say in so many words. But as of Sep 2016, it can continue to be operated by those who held onto it when it was frozen. So no - no maturity date - just keep going.

Ted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport